Xiaomi.eu Rom On Mi5 And Gps

QMatteoQ

Members
Apr 3, 2017
Hello,
I have a Mi5 and, if I really like the device from a hardware and user interface point of view, I'm really disappointed on how Xiaomi is treating it, since the official latest Global Stable ROM (8.2.2.0) which introduced Android 7, brought tons of problems and the most severe for me is that GPS has become basically useless (the locking time is embarrassing; once when I needed to use Google Maps right after renting a car in the US it took 15 minutes to get the position). This is clearly a software problem, since on the official MIUI forum you'll find tons of report of the same issue, which started exactly with the release of the 8.2 ROMs. In fact, right now, I've unlocked the bootloader and restored the phone to version 8.1.4.0, which is still Android 6 based, and the GPS works just fine. However, I'm missing all the goodies that Xiaomi is adding in the latest MIUI builds based on the 8.2 version.

Which is your experience with Xiaomi.eu ROMs and GPS on Mi5? Do they fix this issue or the behavior is the same as the official ROMs?

Thanks in advance!
Best

Hello,
I have a Mi5 and, if I really like the device from a hardware and user interface point of view, I'm really disappointed on how Xiaomi is treating it, since the official latest Global Stable ROM (8.2.2.0) which introduced Android 7, brought tons of problems and the most severe for me is that GPS has become basically useless (the locking time is embarrassing; once when I needed to use Google Maps right after renting a car in the US it took 15 minutes to get the position). This is clearly a software problem, since on the official MIUI forum you'll find tons of report of the same issue, which started exactly with the release of the 8.2 ROMs. In fact, right now, I've unlocked the bootloader and restored the phone to version 8.1.4.0, which is still Android 6 based, and the GPS works just fine. However, I'm missing all the goodies that Xiaomi is adding in the latest MIUI builds based on the 8.2 version.

Which is your experience with Xiaomi.eu ROMs and GPS on Mi5? Do they fix this issue or the behavior is the same as the official ROMs?

Thanks in advance!
Best

Check this post: Xiaomi.eu Stable V8.5.2.0.naacned , for me work nice. GPS I using every days on my Mi5 without problems.

Thanks, I tried (with a bit of fear, because it was the first time I played with TWRP and an unofficial ROM), but everything looks good and the GPS seems indeed to work well. Thanks!

Can I take the chance to ask a noob question? For the moment, I would like to stay only on stable releases and not on the weekly ones, so I've installed 8.5.2.0.naacned. If a new stable Xiaomi.eu version should come out, I don't expect to see it delivered by OTA, right? If I've understood well, the right procedure should be to download the new zip, put it on the phone, perform a clean / wipe just of cache / Dalvik data and then choose Install and select the zip file. With this procedure, I should be able to update the system and keeping the data at the same time, is it correct? (Right now, just to make sure to avoid having leftovers that could ruin the experience, I went for a full wipe moving from Official Global to Xiaomi.eu ROM, so I had to reinstall everything from scratch).

Can I take the chance to ask a noob question? For the moment, I would like to stay only on stable releases and not on the weekly ones, so I've installed 8.5.2.0.naacned. If a new stable Xiaomi.eu version should come out, I don't expect to see it delivered by OTA, right? If I've understood well, the right procedure should be to download the new zip, put it on the phone, perform a clean / wipe just of cache / Dalvik data and then choose Install and select the zip file. With this procedure, I should be able to update the system and keeping the data at the same time, is it correct? (Right now, just to make sure to avoid having leftovers that could ruin the experience, I went for a full wipe moving from Official Global to Xiaomi.eu ROM, so I had to reinstall everything from scratch).
Thats right!