Xiaomi.eu Rom With Locked Bootloader (kate)

Glock24

Members
Apr 6, 2017
Hello,

Since I got my RN3 SE in October I've been trying to unlock the bootloader using the official way, but still no success.

I came across this a while back:

(Apparently I cannot post links, just look for "flash Twrp recovery !! without unlock bootloader ! (kate/kenzo)" on XDA forums)

With this method you substitute the stock recovery image with a custom recovery (TWRP, or in my case, ZCX-TWRP) in a and flash the fastboot ROM in EDL mode. Then you boot directly to recovery or you get into boot loop and have to start again.

You have to use a developer version prior or equal to 6.11.3 for this to work.

With this I could have root, no need for unlocked bootloader. But the downside is I could not update to a newer version than 6.11.3 without losing the ability to root or have a custom recovery.

I came across the Xiaomi.eu ROM, and wanted to give it a try, but from what I had read it was required to have an (officially) unlocked bootloader, which I did not. I also did not want to risk using unofficial unlock methods.

Well last week I was looking for a way to install a newer ROM, so I decided to try flashing Xiaomi.eu ROM from ZCX-TWRP with my locked bootloader. To my surprise it worked! I originally installed 7.3.30 and just yesterday I updated to 7.4.6

Hope this is useful to others.