Xiaomi Xiaomi In 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

iBotPeaches

Script Gatekeeper
Oct 31, 2011
There has been some interesting news posted today by Xiaomi and I thought I would share it with everyone. Some of this news is very interesting and will define MIUI in 2013.
  1. MIUI 4.0 will be retired and only devices with Android 4.1 support will be supported.
  2. Since there are only 5 people porting at Xiaomi, they will move to only supporting one to two high models from popular manufacturers. This means less ROMs and more stability :)
  3. "We will open the low-level code." -> Directly from Xiaomi. This is huge. This could eliminate 99% of the issues that occur when porting. Then we can easily bring MIUI to any device that has AOKP/CM support.
  4. There will be more MIUI ROM contests for Unofficial MIUI developers. More prizes for the people that deserve em :)
  5. It will be a good new year. This changes are said to take place after the Spring Festival (Feb 2013).

+1 for less devices and more stability. With more source code available and the fantastic patchrom system, theres no need for Xiaomi to concern themselves with so many ports. I'm excited to see what becomes of all this.

1. Obvious step, was not actually waiting for it, but nevertheless: less hassle with development and support. Yes, some devices will fall back and I'm really sorry for their owners, but since I've been in alot of such situations myself, I can't say it's any kind of killer for MIUI. Besides, Xiaomi is not the one to blame for outdated OS and dropped support, when it comes to third party hardware.
2. Hmm... Not obvious step, but still less hassle and the rest of blah-blah-blah from item 1.
3. <sarcarm mode on>And it only took 2 years! :O</sarcasm mode off> Honestly? *mimicing Tiny Tina* Best news EVAAA!
4 and 5 - no comments.

P.S. Sorry, people, had to express myself. Happy holidays to everybody!

More stability? HELL YEAH! :D
But just had one question. Are they gonna continue to support all devices with 4.1? Or are they gonna pick the most popular ones out of them? Cuz the RAZR is gonna get 4.1 by jan, official update is out already for droid RAZR. So I was wondering if RAZR support would continue...

this will include the xperia S somehow ?!! because we trying so hard to port it agian but the rom still kinda laggy and not fully working !

Fantastic stuff. I've already had great success with porting MIUI 4.1 to one Xperia 2011 device, soon it will be much easier to support more devices. Looking forward to it!

There is no way in hell the N4 won't get MIUI. Hell the only nexus device that might get left behind now is my NS.
MAYBE the nexus7 since that ROM is more of a toy.

...l just don't know how to take that....it's good news or bad news...there is a company who gained a lot of popularity and was not for the hardware but was a super/ulta /mega optimisation of software..and wasn't android...; well...l was buying a sgs2 especialy for Miui, at that time was a rom based on GB almost perfect...well done ,but when was the time to become perfect ,miui moved to ics and that move was a disaster...not for bugs but that anoying lagggggg-g_gyness......Now after alot of months of my absence on Miui l was curious to flash just to see the latest version for sgs2 and guess what....still lagg-g_ggy like hell !(don't forget this device one year behind was the top of android technology ) Now l can bet it will come an anouncement like sgs2 on Miui it's .... EOL-ed....and just like that this Rom never going to become perfect.......NEVER

Hope Sony Xperia P will support by MIUI. It will support 4.1 JB on March. THanks to all..

Not really good news for owners of locked devices (Motorola RAZR et al.). There will be stock JB update available in few months, but MIUI will not pick up. Even worse, we won't be able to roll back to ICS-based MIUI once we apply stock JB update.

Sent using a touch screen
Napisane na ekranie dotykowym

Not really good news for owners of locked devices (Motorola RAZR et al.). There will be stock JB update available in few months, but MIUI will not pick up. Even worse, we won't be able to roll back to ICS-based MIUI once we apply stock JB update.

Sent using a touch screen
Napisane na ekranie dotykowym
Damn bro.
i dunno wat to do lol. its one way or the other. if JB comes out, and no miui, im NOT GONNA UPGRADE. IM GONNA STICK WITH WHAT I HAVE. .

Jellybean is superior to ICS in every way, especially performance wise. As the article states, Xiaomi will support one/two flagship devices from each manufacturer - so it's up to us to port to other devices. It's not bad news, really. If I can port compile MIUI 4.1/JB to an Xperia 2011 device that didn't even get an official ICS ROM (Xperia Play) with 99% things working and stable, then really - trust me when I say that nothing but good can come of this.

Also, the SGSG2 and RAZR have much more developers than the Xperia Play too. Even though our devices are technically EOL'd, many dev's are either broke and can't afford an update, or just have a love for their ol' faithful toy and continue to support it.

We need GSM Galaxy Nexus & HTC One X Tegra 3 to stay alive as well - looking forward to v5

Status
Not open for further replies.