Xiaomi Mdz-16-ab Nougat Beta Download Source Build 1560 (12-2017)

Nov 21, 2010
The issue you describe is statistically insignificant. I have conveyed to the Xiaomi folks that build 1560 should be pushed out as final. They don't take orders from me:).

Sent from my Commodore C64 using Tapatalk
Really? Can't you reproduce it? I've reproduced it on the 2 miboxes I've tested..
Or there is something wrong in the way I flash the update?

Envoyé de mon Redmi 4X en utilisant Tapatalk

Nov 21, 2010
For the record, it appears the great bulk of Youtube issues originate with users outside the US. The US is by far the largest market for this device. The thoughts that I have shared that they should go final with the last beta take this into account.

My worries are that you consider the bugs we are facing with as unsignificant.. So perhaps you even not shared them to your xiaomi 's contacts.. So that our hope to see them fixed are gone..

Jul 29, 2015
Really? Can't you reproduce it? I've reproduced it on the 2 miboxes I've tested..
Or there is something wrong in the way I flash the update?

Being the great majority of users voicing these concerns are outside the USA, I suspect it is a Playstore issue that we USA users are immune to.

Sent from my Commodore C64 using Tapatalk.

Jul 29, 2015
My worries are that you consider the bugs we are facing with as unsignificant.. So perhaps you even not shared them to your xiaomi 's contacts.. So that our hope to see them fixed are gone..

My Xiaomi contacts concur the Youtube issue is statistically insignificant as it fails to manifest in their main target market, USA.

Sent using my Commodore C64 using Tapatalk.

Dec 15, 2017
More noise!!!

Any user who doesn't know how to flash a firmware update for this box should save themselves the effort, since they probably lack the skills and patience needed to deal with admittedly experimental beta firmware.

BTW, do you have a meaningful bug and/or solution to share?

More ignorance from mister "I know everything better than the rest of you"! You should be aware that if you spread something into public and ask for feedback, the public may response... Also that guys not gifted with to many knowledge. BTW did you ever read one of my posts? You are really a total waste of time and by no way a good example for being a valuable addition to a public forum. Answer yourself just one question: Why asking for feedback in here when you just can't handle it afterwards?! At least I try to find solutions for why one box isn't acting the same like others and not putting my nose to the sky. Some strange things are related to Google Updates (e.g. Chrome), some may related to different setups (Netflix) and others are related to mibox firmware/settings (YouTube)! I took the time to play around with all those combinations and I'm still satisfied with mibox for my scenarios, but b1560 was far away from being the perfect one you are trying to advertise! Put it on your 300 boxes and have fun afterwards. At least your job it safe then and you may be busy for the next weeks to come.

Nov 21, 2010
My Xiaomi contacts concur the Youtube issue is statistically insignificant as it fails to manifest in their main target market, USA.

By YouTube issue, you mean : the last played frame that is kept in background in other apps?

Nov 21, 2010

so you can't reproduce it on yours?
it's true that I've only tested on european miboxes...
even afeter removing youtube updates, or deactivating youtube... those buggy backgroud frame is still there...

Attachments

Jul 29, 2015
More ignorance from mister "I know everything better than the rest of you"! You should be aware that if you spread something into public and ask for feedback, the public may response... Also that guys not gifted with to many knowledge. BTW did you ever read one of my posts? You are really a total waste of time and by no way a good example for being a valuable addition to a public forum. Answer yourself just one question: Why asking for feedback in here when you just can't handle it afterwards?! At least I try to find solutions for why one box isn't acting the same like others and not putting my nose to the sky. Some strange things are related to Google Updates (e.g. Chrome), some may related to different setups (Netflix) and others are related to mibox firmware/settings (YouTube)! I took the time to play around with all those combinations and I'm still satisfied with mibox for my scenarios, but b1560 was far away from being the perfect one you are trying to advertise! Put it on your 300 boxes and have fun afterwards. At least your job it safe then and you may be busy for the next weeks to come.
Individual feedback is viewed against the backdrop of the total universe of users. Your particular issue may be important to you but unless it affects a wide class of users it may be relegated to statistical chaff.

Chrome is definitely not designed for AndroidTV devices and is, therefore, a problem that is self-inflicted and not an area for concern.

99.9 % of Netflix streaming failures are easily explained by faulty or missing DRM facilities on a huge number of tvs and other output devices, and, Netflix's propensity for enforcing draconian standards on AndroidTV equipped boxes that are absent on other devices.

DRMINFO is a totally accurate tool to establish the presence of correctly implemented DRM features on the connected TV.

Is there some degree of discrimination at play with Netflix's approach?

That another type of device or console may work using Netflix with an under-specced tv is a red herring. The logical question should be directed to Netflix as they are the sole author of their standards. What do you consider an easier target for Netflix to enforce standards compliance...the 5 or 6 makers of AndroidTV boxes or the thousands of various TV producers? Netflix is very cautious in granting membership to their exclusive club. As an example, the Technicolor Skipper AndroidTV box sold by Italian cable providers does support HD and UHD streams to properly configured tvs. The same device sold by Australian provider FOX does not.
Mibox is fully equipped with support for Netflix's required DRM licenses and also has the blessing of Netflix as an approved device. It should be noted that the DRM implementation of this box was perfect from day one of its intro and has remained static since then.

As to Youtube, their recent AndroidTV apps employing a 'wrapper' have been an abomination affecting many devices. There is some talk that users in the EC may suffer from an enhanced level of DRM scrutiny forced on them via Youtube by the EC anti-piracy authorities. This can be further exacerbated by using tvs that are not up to spec for DRM compliance.

Certainly, non-EC users have not suffered nearly the level of playback anomalies coming from European users. This affects stock MM boxes as well as those with Beta firmware.

I sincerely wish there was a magic incantation that would cause your issues to vanish but, unfortunately, there are too many disparate tv models to reckon with.

In conclusion you should be chided for a significant oversight..... You have conveniently ignored the critical element that must be recognized. The Mibox is useless without some sort of video display device. The great bulk of complaints across this forum have their logical origin with the video output device paired with the Mibox.

Good luck

Sent from my Commodore C64 using Tapatalk.

Dec 15, 2017
Finally a comment without getting personal... So let's talk about another thing which isn't working on any beta and for sure isn't part of DRM: voice commands. When having downgraded to MM I recognized how it was working at least. Since nougat it's like russian roulette if it's recognizing me speaking at all. A feature that important and advertised for this box for sure not working can't be released as final stage. Well, alright, shouldn't be...

BTW: good luck with that theory of having just a small amount of customers with slightly problems. If a wider range gets access to the final product that range can extend pretty fast as only enthusiasts tried to fiddle around with the current builds and even a smaller group of them joined any form of discussion about their experiences with that builds or even noticed them. My TV only supports hdcp1.4, so no surround sound from mi box for me - at least that's what I believe now after hours of research and not just depending on Netflix DRM. Using a 2014 TV from a small unknown label called Samsung which seems related to hdcp handshake and also I know about chrome not being supported officially on Android TV that doesn't mean that it's not working at all... All things I can live with. But having to struggle with simple YouTube support which somehow works sometime (not found a reliable cause but installing/uninstalling, clearing data and cache and playing with settings like adaptive HDMI or automatic TV recognition) shouldn't be task of end users in final stage and before mentioned microphone problems too. Also performance shouldn't be crippled by turning off CPU cores... That BT keyboards don't get paired I solved by using 2,4GHz one and wasn't mentioned yet, as it's already problem with MM. And last but not least with Oreo 8.1 in the wild not having at least Nougat 7.0 already by having bought an official Google supported device is another story...

Jul 29, 2015
Finally a comment without getting personal... So let's talk about another thing which isn't working on any beta and for sure isn't part of DRM: voice commands. When having downgraded to MM I recognized how it was working at least. Since nougat it's like russian roulette if it's recognizing me speaking at all. A feature that important and advertised for this box for sure not working can't be released as final stage. Well, alright, shouldn't be...

BTW: good luck with that theory of having just a small amount of customers with slightly problems. If a wider range gets access to the final product that range can extend pretty fast as only enthusiasts tried to fiddle around with the current builds and even a smaller group of them joined any form of discussion about their experiences with that builds or even noticed them. My TV only supports hdcp1.4, so no surround sound from mi box for me - at least that's what I believe now after hours of research and not just depending on Netflix DRM. Using a 2014 TV from a small unknown label called Samsung which seems related to hdcp handshake and also I know about chrome not being supported officially on Android TV that doesn't mean that it's not working at all... All things I can live with. But having to struggle with simple YouTube support which somehow works sometime (not found a reliable cause but installing/uninstalling, clearing data and cache and playing with settings like adaptive HDMI or automatic TV recognition) shouldn't be task of end users in final stage and before mentioned microphone problems too. Also performance shouldn't be crippled by turning off CPU cores... That BT keyboards don't get paired I solved by using 2,4GHz one and wasn't mentioned yet, as it's already problem with MM. And last but not least with Oreo 8.1 in the wild not having at least Nougat 7.0 already by having bought an official Google supported device is another story...
You've kinda gotten off track by reciting a huge litany of unique problems that are not germane to the OP, nor are they as widespread outside of your self-centered universe as you portray.

"Kindly focus on the following aspects...

Youtube
Netflix HDR
Live Channels Picture-in-Picture
HDMI CEC"

And if I have somehow not lived up to your expectation of 'getting personal' (whatever that is) let me correct that omission:
Yo' momma is so ugly she has to sneak up on a glass of water.:) Satisfied?

Jun 29, 2017
This guy, miboy, speaks in "particular issue" when there is a BUG that somehow causes Mibox to crash and even restart with the latest version of YouTube. This affects any user anywhere in the world. But he is not in the same position we consumers, are interested in $$$.
His attitude involves money he probably plans to make by selling units with defective firmware.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017
More than satisfied now! ;-) Google seems to be my friend this time with my unique and self-centered problems. Didn't know my little universe could have that much influence on IT giants like they are. I guess all those Reddit postings you are also aware of are all just little universes. I seriously hope Xiaomi somehow offers you another mibox for your hard work. I'm more and more disappointed with their products and I own quite lot of them. Last bug lead to losing all my collected data from Xiaomi Pace watch. Somehow useless tracking for more than one year and than a simple sync fails and forces you to re-pair account and lose all previous stuff. Their products have great potential but software-wise it's by far not up to it!

Jul 29, 2015
This guy, miboy, speaks in "particular issue" when there is a BUG that somehow causes Mibox to crash and even restart with the latest version of YouTube. This affects any user anywhere in the world. But he is not in the same position we consumers, are interested in $$$.
His attitude involves money he probably plans to make by selling units with defective firmware.
You do realize there are millions of these devices in the hands of American Walmart customers. Think what you will about Walmart but they are very customer focused and their success hinges on satisfying them. If their data showed the mass number of returns from Youtube customers that you erroneously suggest, Xiaomi would be off their approved vendor list in a New York minute. With Walmart, any electronic product with a return ratio over 1.7% is justification for immediate termination of the contract. Walmart typically demands 1% of free goods to accomodate returns and you better believe return ratios are tracked aggressively.
Since MiBox are still being offered thru Walmart it would indicate the % of returns is significantly lower than the alarming high numbers your uneducated guess would imply.

Dec 19, 2017
I sold my two MiBoxes and bought a ShieldTV. It's like night and day. It's twice the price,but ten times the machine. 1560 is a joke and how MiBoy can "recommend" it says more about him than the state of the product.

Buying a MiBox is a false economy. Don't do it!

Jul 29, 2015
I sold my two MiBoxes and bought a ShieldTV. It's like night and day. It's twice the price,but ten times the machine. 1560 is a joke and how MiBoy can "recommend" it says more about him than the state of the product.

Buying a MiBox is a false economy. Don't do it!
Are you in the US?
Would you care to elucidate on the specific issues that led you to characterize build 1560 as a joke?

Dec 19, 2017
Are you in the US?
Would you care to elucidate on the specific issues that led you to characterize build 1560 as a joke?
No, I'm in Spain.

Have you watched a 4:3 format video in Plex, Kodi or VLC? As mentioned numerous times on this very thread?

No? Thought so. You think that's acceptable for a "final" release? If you worked for me, we'd be having words.

I won't even go in to the Netflix issues where one MiBox and a ShieldTV worked fine, but the second MiBox got tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5) errors even though all boxes were plugged into the same HDMI port on the TV using the same HDMI cable. This was on both stock and 1560 so I can't blame 1560.

Xiaomi are either staggeringly incompetent or are laughing at us.

Or both.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2010
Are you in the US?

Short list :
-Mibox is not releasing last played frame in YouTube (could be related to h265 codec)
-Only 2 active cpu (deactivating YouTube seems to help, to be replicated)
-hdr is not switching off when going back to sdr source
Etc...

Jul 29, 2015
No, I'm in Spain.

Have you watched a 4:3 format video in Plex, Kodi or VLC? As mentioned numerous times on this very thread?

No? Thought so. You think that's acceptable for a "final" release? If you worked for me, we'd be having words.

I won't even go in to the Netflix issues where one MiBox and a ShieldTV worked fine, but the second MiBox got tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5) errors even though all boxes were plugged into the same HDMI port on the TV using the same HDMI cable. This was on both stock and 1560 so I can't blame 1560.

Xiaomi are either staggeringly incompetent or are laughing at us.

Or both.
No, I'm in Spain.

Thanks

Not my cup of tea. The scope of this study was stated in OP.....

"Kindly focus on the following aspects...

Youtube
Netflix HDR
Live Channels Picture-in-Picture
HDMI CEC"

If you worked for me, we'd be having words.

Distinct impossibility. If I were to 'work for you', you would have to be the board chairman of one of my companies.

According to Netflix this is a known issue and not unique to Xiaomi. It results when certain maladapted tv models generate a corrupted hdmi handshake sequence and pass invalid DRM data back up the line to Netflix servers. Netflix interprets this as a broken DRM chain and kills stream.
Resolution is achieved by powering off tv and mibox and powering on in same order.
On rare occasions this is caused by excess static charge in tv's hdmi circuit. Similar resolution remediates the issue.

En fin, no puedo hablar por Xiaomi, pero confesaré haber gozado una buena risa ante sus amenazas huecas

Ciao, amigo.

Nov 21, 2010
No, I'm in Spain.

Thanks

Not my cup of tea. The scope of this study was stated in OP.....

He suggested watching 4/3 movie because it is an easy way to reproduce the background bug after having watched a video on YouTube.
Another way is to go in mibox display settings, and zoom out screen.. You'll see this background..
If The background is not black.. The bug is here..

Dec 19, 2017
Hi MiBoy. I would like to apologise for my outburst. Sorry. Mea Culpa.

Oddly enough it was fuelled in large part by frustration and probably as much by the large number of drinks given to me by the guy I gave the two MiBoxes to (he has no interest in Netflix and is planning on using them for SmartIPTV clients which work fine.) I arrived home drunk and decide to give Xiaomi a piece of my mind. Yes, I'm an idiot. I'm deeply embarrassed. Sincere apologies.

As for the Netflix problem, I'm not sure your explanation takes into account the fact that I factory reset both MiBoxes, left them unplugged on my desk for a couple of days, then remembered that I now had an opportunity to run a NetFlix experiment. I installed Netflix on both. One of the MiBoxes worked, as did the ShieldTV. The other, newer one, didn't. This is with the same cable and (Samsung) TV HDMI port. I tried all sorts of combos of powering off/on.
My buddy sees the same problem with his Sony TV - Netflix works on one MiBox, not on the other slightly newer box. Both are running exactly the same system software and the only additional apps installed are Netflix and DRMInfo, which says "Unprotected" on the new box.

In any event, that's just a further datapoint for Netflix on MiBox. Maybe the second box is a lemon.

Again, please accept my apologies for my intemperate outburst.
Peace, out.

Jan 13, 2018
Hello,
I installed the latest version on my mi box. I have a display bug. Like some kind of jamming, not permanent. It comes back every 2 or 3 seconds. I did not have that before. And when it goes to sleep the moment when the TV is dark, the image is buggy. I managed to make a photo of the 2 problems.
TV is a panasonic plasma. I have been phenomenal since the update is only on the mi box.

Attachments

Nov 21, 2010
Another point...
All 4 cpu cores are not active.. Whereas they are all in beta 924..
In beta 1028,you can activate the third one by deactivating YouTube app...

Jul 29, 2015
Hi MiBoy. I would like to apologise for my outburst. Sorry. Mea Culpa.

Oddly enough it was fuelled in large part by frustration and probably as much by the large number of drinks given to me by the guy I gave the two MiBoxes to (he has no interest in Netflix and is planning on using them for SmartIPTV clients which work fine.) I arrived home drunk and decide to give Xiaomi a piece of my mind. Yes, I'm an idiot. I'm deeply embarrassed. Sincere apologies.

As for the Netflix problem, I'm not sure your explanation takes into account the fact that I factory reset both MiBoxes, left them unplugged on my desk for a couple of days, then remembered that I now had an opportunity to run a NetFlix experiment. I installed Netflix on both. One of the MiBoxes worked, as did the ShieldTV. The other, newer one, didn't. This is with the same cable and (Samsung) TV HDMI port. I tried all sorts of combos of powering off/on.
My buddy sees the same problem with his Sony TV - Netflix works on one MiBox, not on the other slightly newer box. Both are running exactly the same system software and the only additional apps installed are Netflix and DRMInfo, which says "Unprotected" on the new box.

In any event, that's just a further datapoint for Netflix on MiBox. Maybe the second box is a lemon.

Again, please accept my apologies for my intemperate outburst.
Peace, out.
Your sincere, graciously expressed apology is warmly accepted.
It was obvious something was affecting you as your history of posting here has always been even-tempered and rational. Dont worry about it.
Take a life lesson about the perils of abusing the fruit of the vine. In vino veritas hardly applies in modern times with more powerful spirits easily available.

As to your observation you had a lemon, that is the only logical outcome. Too bad your experience was impacted by a .005 possibility.
Hope you get much satisfaction from your shield, it is an incredible device and will serve you well.

Last edited: