Xiaomi Mi Box Pro/Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by kiswum, Jun 6, 2014.

1. I have started writing all my experience of this box in another thread. I started with getting root-access to this box, but unfortunately I failed with that mission.

So far I have shared my experience in another thread and it would be best to keep that one clean and post all your experience right here.

So from now on, please post all your questions, tricks, root methods in this thread.
    I hope we can all contribute in this new thread.

Cydeen and Roland Teoh like this.
  2. Eddy Lee

Eddy LeeMembers

Apr 7, 2014
    Male
    I think asphalt 8 can be played nicely using keyboard because i play it on windows 8.1 laptop. only using keyboard.
    So i think any racing game would be able to be played using keyboard.
    Why dont u try playing dead trigger on your mibox using mouse and keyboard?

qwe2479 likes this.
  3. I will install Asphalt, it can be found in the current shop/market of the box. I will try to play Need for Speed as well. Perhaps both apps can be used with a keyboard and "onboard" mouse.
    The box does not support a fullsize keyboard and a mouse attached to the USB hub of the keyboard.

4. Jay Liu

Jay LiuMembers

Jun 8, 2014
    Male
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hi all.. new guy here. Nice to have an English language forum dedicated to the MiBox. I'm from Taiwan and I read and write Chinese, so if you need help with navigating the Chinese menus, I'm here to help.

I just got myself into the Xiaomi ecosystem a couple of days ago. I'm hopping over from the Kuaibo TV Box, which is great feature-wise, but is just unstable enough to get on your nerves. I haven't tried the previous Miboxes, but I have some colleagues who have them. The main draw of the enhanced version for me was the SD card slot, which turned out to be useless for me without root access, since all the apps insist on using internal storage.

I don't know if this counts as a tip, but the mibox has a remote app on Android and iOS. The iOS one is only available in the China store. It allows you to control the box with your phone, and has a game controller mode. The Android version has an additional air mouse mode, which is a great way to control the device.

Speaking of air mice, I've actually bought a physical air mouse, since that was my preferred way of controlling the Kuaibo TV (which comes with an amazing air mouse). The kuaibo air mouse had bi-directional audio support with a 3.5mm jack built into the remote (seriously), so I could have the TV sound redirected to my headphones (great for late night movie marathons). It also had hotkeys which could launch apps I used frequently. I've been struggling to find a nice replacement for the Mibox, but none of the ones I've come across up to now have met all my criteria. If anyone finds something nice that works well, please share! The one I'm using for now is this one: http://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DMAA71-A79475194 but it's missing the audio jack and app launching. The linked store is Taiwan only, though I'm sure you can find similar stuff on amazon. An air mouse really makes a great remote, and it's so much nicer than having to aim the IR at the box. It's also better than using a mouse because I don't need a flat surface, so I can just lie on my couch and wave my hands around. Trust me, it's a worthwhile investment for a TV box. Be warned though, most of the Mibox UI is not compatible with mouse cursors, which I'm sure most of you have realized after plugging in your mice. But then again most third party apps are unusable without a mouse (e.g. Hulu, Amazon store, 1Mobile, etc..). I wish they would make the main Mibox UI mouse friendly.

su nguyen likes this.
  5. Eddy Lee

Eddy LeeMembers

Apr 7, 2014
    Male
    Thanks Jay Liu. Your help will make us have better experience with mi box 1s.
    Can u post photo on mibox menu with english translation to help us understand what the menus mean.
    Sorry for my bad english. Thanks

6. #6kiswum,Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Thanks a lot for your information Jay Liu!

I hope we can help eachother out with this box.
    The mouse I use is build into a keyboard.

http://mobile.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r

[​IMG]

I think we need root access before we can upload a new Multi Language ROM.

Sent from my Xiaomi mi2 with Tapatalk. This is why my message could contain spelling mistakes.

7. Jay Liu

Jay LiuMembers

Jun 8, 2014
    Male
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Which menus are you referring to? Post some screenshots and I'll translate each of them for you.

8. mamborol

mamborolMembers

Jun 11, 2014
    Male
    Hi All,
    I would like to check if its possible to install APK without rooting the mibox? It is a Gen2 mibox bought from China.
    Can I use Snappea directly without root? PArdon my ignorance. Dont want to risk brinking my device.

9. Eddy Lee

Eddy LeeMembers

Apr 7, 2014
    Male
    I think in earlier post in other thread kiswum already saya that we can install apk using snappea

10. mamborol

mamborolMembers

Jun 11, 2014
    Male
    #10mamborol,Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    when connected to snappea without root, I am stuck at this.
    "reading phone data, please wait...."

anyone help?

Update: managed to get it working after restarting PC

11. mi miboxpro should come in next week and i'll be able to share my experiences too. Bedankt aan Kiswum om mij te hebben overtuigt om de mibox te proberen ondanks de taal problemen. I think i will mainly use it with my LCD projector + xmbc. I love hacking stuff, my main goal will be to have a functional mibox in French for my technology impaired wife.

12. You're very welcome @badmothergoose I hope you and your wife will enjoy this small piece of engineering.
    I haven't don't much with the box this week. I have tried to connect the Wii controller to my Mi2 and that's working (with a Wii app), but it appears that it will not on Android 4.4 (I haven't tried it out yet.)

Good luck with your new gadget!

13. yes hooking up a wiimote would be cool. it's definitely in my plans of things to try.

14. so i got my mibox on monday. once again, incredible service by *******... I haven't had much time to play around, but still, i've managed a few things. like setting up networking, navigating in a totally chinese environnement, load a movie from the streaming offer,

Good news, i've managed to install new software without the use of snappea. from the launcher, it's quite easy to get to the stock android launcher. Just go to the mi-appstore, choose the last icon on the bottom-right. It gives you access to installed programs, including the stock android launcher. select the icon for the stock launcher, open it and click on the first button. it will launch the stock launcher. from there, you have access to the settings -> English !, to a browser -> apk's!, to a download manager -> install downloaded apk's. Once a new apk is installed, it will also show up on the mibox launcher.

First thing i installed is xbmc. it works like a charm. of course remote controlling it is at times challenging (for one thing the keyboard does not respond to the remote by default, you have to go to xbmc settings to enable that) but everything works out fine.

i haven't been able to install gapps yet through this method. i have a hard time downloading the estrong filemanager apk with the stock browser and the remote. but i will try again later tonight. there's no reason it should not work

15. it would be really usefull if you could translate the settings from the launcher (last page of the launcher, or when you click on the contextual menu button in the launcher). There are six domains
    -Networking, setting up wifi
    -screen, resolution & scaling up/down
    -update (my version is 1.36, they propose 1.40 - i haven't updated...)
    -mi menu, to reboot ?
    - ?
    - ?

could you translate all menu options, ideally with the chinese strings and their english equivalent ? that would be awesome ! that way i would no longer feel like a blind man in a porcelain store

Thanks !

D.

16. the remote controller software for your phone can be found on the chinese app store of your xiaomi phone. the app that looks like a squirrel, name starts with UC. click on the shopping bag icon, then search xiaomi. you will see a program that looks like a remote. install it. i still have to see how to configure it... ;-)

fot the lazy ones, here it is : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g8x84agvzujvrlk/AABzSy0oHv1--Yi77Aasff77a

17. nokin100

nokin100Members

Jun 18, 2014
    Male
    Hi Kiswum and Badmothergoose,

I got the MiBox Pro too, but i have problem on XBMC that not able to play video (got sound with dark screen).
    may i ask which version of XBMC that you using and any config require.

Thanks

Raffaele Colleo likes this.
  18. I installed the latest version, gotham. to be honest, i haven't played a video with it yet because i haven't yet added my nas to it. Do you play your movies over the network or from a sdcard?

19. nokin100

nokin100Members

Jun 18, 2014
    Male
    Hi both on sdcard and network are not work.

20. well, i will definitely try it tonight ! BTW the mibox software correctly connects to my dlna devices and is the first device i have to correctly connect to my plex server. I might end up just using that since the plex server categories are pretty well organized. i also could play videos from the plex server !

21. I think it took too much time the play the videos, I don't know if it worked. I did started it via the standard player and that worked very quick.

Sent from my Xiaomi mi2 with Tapatalk. This is why my message could contain spelling mistakes.

22. So, with the latest version of xbmc (gotham 13rc1 if i remember well), you have to tweak the video parameters of xbmc to play videos on the mibox pro. under acceleration, you should disable the first hardware acceleration method. the other two are visibly compatible. once i did that, my videos loaded quite nicely with reasonable speed (max 5 secs waiting time).

23. nokin100

nokin100Members

Jun 18, 2014
    Male
    Thanks Badmothergoose,

my case if enable the last hardware acceleration and disable only the first one, once start loaded movie. The XBMC seem to close and screen switch to Mibox Home Screen (luancher).

So i need to disable both the first and last acceleration and keep only LibStageFright enable.

24. #24badmothergoose,Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    my findings so far
    - You can access the stock android launcher & settings through the xiaomi application store, through the downloaded apps button. the installed stock android apps (such as settings, browser, clock, launcher, download manager) appear and can be launched from there. be sure to allow unknown sources in the settings though !
    - From the stock launcher, installing apps is a breeze, use the browser to download them, then the download manager to install them. Once estrong is installed, it's also much simpler to access network shares,...
    - A mouse is useless on the xiaomi launcher, but quite useful in the stock android part ! it really helps using the browser !
    - The baidu input keyboard does not work with the mouse, the stock android keyboard does not work with the remote
    - easy to duplicate the screen of your phone. the chinese explanations with images are sufficient.
    - I haven't been able to use my phone as a remote control. i suspect that the option must be enabled somewhere in the xiaomi settings.
    - No problems adding estrong, mxplayer (mx player requests codecs from googleplay, but see below. haven't searched for them elsewhere though...)
    - I still have no luck with google apps, but it's more a problem of bad download speed than unability to install. I haven't tried very hard yet, though
    - xbmc works, but the video hardware acceleration options need to be tweaked for the videos to appear. ymmv but at least the first acceleration option needs to be disabled. I had it work with the second and third options enabled, but felt that with the second option it was a little more unstable (frames skipping) than with just the last option enabled. it's maybe a network issue though. the videos launch reasonably fast. at least as fast as on the xiaomi launcher.
    - I haven't tried rooting, but don't see the need for it yet, unless maybe to replace the xiaomi launcher.
    - visibly, it's also possible to upload files to the box from the network through a browser. visibly there is an interface located at http://ipofthebox:6905/690 but haven't managed to make it work. there's probably also an option to enable it hidden somewhere in mandarin chinese... it would be cool if this was a web management interface, translating settings could be easier.

25. Dorian Leger

Jun 17, 2014
    So for the translation of the Settings :
    From Top Left to Right Bottom

1st Wifi Name
    2nd 画面没直 Screen Resolution (and everything about images)
    3rd 账户与安全 Account and Safety (About the Xiaomi Account)
    4th 通用没直 Settings
    5th Update (Version Number actually is 1.3.43)
    6th 关于 About

Right now I didn't find the way to put the Box in English, if someone find out, please contact me.
    I am from France and I can read and write Chinese too.

I also have the Xiami TV2, if someone also find how to put it in english, please contact me.

Share Our Site