Your proven default method to get soft bricks back?

WurstCase

Members
Jan 13, 2019
Hey everyone,

ich I've been using MIUI since 2011 and have owned over 7 Xiaomi phones. I never had a real hard bricked phone, but I remember that sometimes I needed to fiddle several days in order to get my phone working again.

Anyways, I'm wondering how you proceed when your phone is boot looping after a flash. Just last week I had problems and had to go back to a pretty old Chinese dev rom in order to have a working system where I could again install TWRP and EU weekly. It was so weird that I could not just flash an older TWRP and restore my backups. Shouldn't this always work as it restored all the partitions? Or is it possible to destroy your file system so badly that TWRP recovery does not work.

I was so desperate that I was considering downloading Mi Flash and get a tgz (?) file, but then my last attempt with the "regular" method worked. Is there a website where all the non-EU full rom are hosted? My Mi8 SE was not listed on mini.com. Do you sometimes use Mi Flash as a last resort?

Mi 8 SE will not be listed in eu.miui.com because it doesn't have a Global ROM.
To get the lastest China ROM you'll need to switch language to Chinese on eu.miui.com first.
As to your other question, I never had a bootloop after flashing EU ROM, but then again none of us has a Mi 8 SE...

Reactions: WurstCase
Yeah, this issue was probably related to the TWRP versions 1217 and 1227. As if after installing via 1217 TWRP the file system or partitions would have been broken.

Good idea about switching to the Chinese language! Didn't think about that. I just found this site: https://xiaomifirmware.com/roms/download-official-miui-roms-for-xiaomi-mi-8-se/ Do you think they are "trustworthy"? There I can download the fast boot ROMs in case I encounter a harder bootloop again and don't want to waste time and just want to do a Mi Flash and start from there.

Yeah, this issue was probably related to the TWRP versions 1217 and 1227. As if after installing via 1217 TWRP the file system or partitions would have been broken.

Good idea about switching to the Chinese language! Didn't think about that. I just found this site: https://xiaomifirmware.com/roms/download-official-miui-roms-for-xiaomi-mi-8-se/ Do you think they are "trustworthy"? There I can download the fast boot ROMs in case I encounter a harder bootloop again and don't want to waste time and just want to do a Mi Flash and start from there.
Probably... I don't know that website.

Hello,
Like many other good guys I messed up my MI8SE last week when they (Xiaomi) modified the boot.After different trials and tests I finished stuck at fastboot without any other way to escape.
Only recovery way was MIflash and a fastboot rom that restored the partition scheme.
Welcome to the Club.

Reactions: WurstCase
Ah, this is reassuring to know that there was indeed some unusual change by Xiaomi that caused the hiccups! I was kinda frustrated that after so many years of flashing ROMs I'd still mess it up so badly ;)

Reactions: LOLO9393