Zcx Twrp Gets Overwritten With Twrp After Every Weekly Rom Update

Dec 17, 2016
I installed ZCX-TWR-3.0.2-X-MI5 recovery from TWRP-3.0.2.3 and it is working fine. But every time I perform a ROM update (xiaomi.eu weekly updates) it reverts back to the TWRP-3.0.2.3.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks for the reply

I finally got it: :)

You mean to unzip the xiaomi.eu ROM package and replace there the twrp.img with the renamed zcx image file. Then zip it back and flash it.

This might work, but since I will do all these tasks on my phone it might be faster to just flash the ZCX recovery image again, immediately after flashing the xiaomi.eu ROM.

On another forum I got this suggestion:

"That's the issue with the backup restoring the old images. What you should do is to start from scratch to flash only the latest ZCX TWRP using fastboot command or the toolkit itself."

I believe that this will not work since after each xiaomi.eu ROM update the twrp.img file that is embedded in the package will be written in the recovery area.

Last edited:
Your assumption is correct, but i agree with you that you will be faster flashing ZCX again. I do all my flashing via PC , but at the moment Xiaomi.eu uses the correct TWRP, so everything is in fine for me.
Since there a about 3 to 4 different versions of TWRP (MI5) around, i guess they want to avoid people flashing the wrong TWRP therefore it is included in the Rom package.

Reactions: Horatiu Costache
Just asking...

Why do you want ZCX if included TWRP works fine?
BTW: I also started with ZCX then the update replacet it with its TWRP...

Among others, ZCX allows OTA so in case I decide to move to ROMs that support it, this would help. But since for the time being I'm OK with xiaomi.eu weekly updates, I will stick to plain TWRP.