Backup and Restore

eng333

Members
Oct 11, 2023
For those of you that switching ROMs or doing things that require you to full wipe your phone often, what is your Backup/Restore solution.

It takes me forever to go through and get all the settings I use to use setup. Then open up all my apps and login to them or do whatever to set them up like before.
There has to be a better way.

Google backup is kind of useless because it doesnt backup everything. It's kind of a useless backup when you never know what's backed up and whats not.

When I did custom roms years ago, I used Titanium backup which helped but wasnt perfect. I don't think its used anymore.

backing up with Xiaomi Cloud and Google One, using SwiftBackup to backup Messages, Wifi, individual Apps.

SwiftBackup would be the new Titanium Backup alternative

backing up with Xiaomi Cloud and Google One, using SwiftBackup to backup Messages, Wifi, individual Apps.

SwiftBackup would be the new Titanium Backup alternative
I didn't consider Google (and maybe Xiaomi) a backup because you have no idea what is backed up and what is not. Most of the time, it seems that very little is actually backed up.

I'll check out swiftbackup

I didn't consider Google (and maybe Xiaomi) a backup because you have no idea what is backed up and what is not. Most of the time, it seems that very little is actually backed up.

I'll check out swiftbackup
for me usually google backup is backing up contacts and apps which you installed, using the backup will reinstall all the apps from that backup, import contacts back (dont know about the messages though, i think it does that aswell)
Xiaomi Cloud usually backs up apps that were installed outside of google play store aswell as backing up settings such as gestures and how the homescreen looks like.

With SwiftBackup you can for an example create a backup of WhatsApp and restore it with SwiftBackup and it acts like as if it was never uninstalled or its data cleared (always do new backups of WhatsApp though since chat history for an example get saved in that backup, you can decide if you want to backup images/videos)

for me usually google backup is backing up contacts and apps which you installed, using the backup will reinstall all the apps from that backup, import contacts back (dont know about the messages though, i think it does that aswell)
Xiaomi Cloud usually backs up apps that were installed outside of google play store aswell as backing up settings such as gestures and how the homescreen looks like.

With SwiftBackup you can for an example create a backup of WhatsApp and restore it with SwiftBackup and it acts like as if it was never uninstalled or its data cleared (always do new backups of WhatsApp though since chat history for an example get saved in that backup, you can decide if you want to backup images/videos)
My contacts are already stored in google so I don't think it's really a backup. Apps are from google play so it already knows. (for example It doesnt backup sideloaded apps). What I'm talking about is APP DATA. Like if I play a game and got to level 1000, will I need to start over or is that backed up? Who know? I THINK it is based on the app developer. I know I have to re-login to all my apps again. Anything that's stored on my phone and not in the cloud, is that backed up? Google doesnt tell you what is backed up and what isnt so if you only rely on them, it is a gamble.
I remember titanium actually backed up all the app data. (Ofcourse it often failed to restore the data but it was something). I also could create a complete image of the system. If I screwed something up really bad in an updated for example, I could revert back.

I backup my photos and videos through google photos and xiaomi backup (not xiaomi cloud). I backup my settings, home screen layout, call logs, contacts and messages through xiaomi cloud and xiaomi backup and google backup. I backup my documents through xiaomi backup. I backup all 3rd party apps with their data through swift backup (requires root). I backup whatsapp through google drive and swift backup. Every time I migrate into a new rom I use all these methods to avoid any loss

ok I'll checkout xiaomi backup and swift backup.

Yes the restore process is quite annoying