Anti-theft

Xandar

Members
May 24, 2023
Hi, I wonder do some of you with unlocked bootloaders use anything to increase anti-theft safety, since with the unlocked bootloader anyone can install an another ROM.
Is it possible to protect it somehow, since locking it would brick the phone?
Thanks

Well, there is are two anti-theft feature built in.

1. Data encryption : when you flash a new ROM the encrypted keys are no longer valid and you need to format data. No protection against device theft but rather for your data

2. As long as the phone is registered to you MIUI-Account you need to re-authorize after having flashed a new ROM. You cannot boot into ROM until this step is done....

Reactions: JiaiJ
Well, there is are two anti-theft feature built in.

1. Data encryption : when you flash a new ROM the encrypted keys are no longer valid and you need to format data. No protection against device theft but rather for your data

2. As long as the phone is registered to you MIUI-Account you need to re-authorize after having flashed a new ROM. You cannot boot into ROM until this step is done....
But AOSP roms probably don't have Mi Account functionality built in?

Xandar

You deal with useless things. Someone who steals phones has no problem bypassing Mi account blocking..
The protection of user data is important to you! Not what the thief will do with the phone. You can also provide the IMEI to the police after the phone is stolen.

s3axel

He meant that a thief can install any AOSP ROM and can use the device even if it is protected by a Mi account. (If the bootloader is unlocked)

Last edited:
Reactions: s3axel and Xandar
@gogocar62 I know, I was assuming that this is a protection on bootloader level - but admittedly I don't know for sure. If its on bootloader-level flashing another ROM would not change this part as usually custom ROMs cannot change the bootloader because it wouldn't boot if modified and 3rd parties cannot sign the bootloader with the correct keys....

Nevertheless your point is correct: a stolen phone is lost (physically), but the data is rather more important ;)