Are you satisfied with MI8?

Marko94

Members
Jan 9, 2015
Hi guys,

I got mi8 before 2 days, and I want to know are you happy with mi8 ?
with camera, battery, etc. feel free and write something :) hehe

No, unfortunately not. On balance, I'd say I've never been as disappointed with a phone, as I have with the MI 8.
I should have bought a OnePlus 6.

The ROMS from here are the best you can get on the phone at this point in time, but there are still plenty of issues.
There is no single firmware available that works 100%.
On the Oreo based ROMS, the camera was great, but the terrible notch support had major implications for Android Auto etc.
On Pie based ROMS the notch problems are much less (can't hide it though, unlike most other phones) but the camera is garbage - loss-less 2x zoom doesn't work, picture quality is terrible, so much extra noise and lack of detail etc.

"OK Google" hot word detection doesn't work on ANY ROM, which is a major annoyance.

Widevine L1 is not supported - not a deal breaker, but annoying nonetheless.

Battery is decent enough.

I like the look and in-hand feel of the phone (so much so, I don't use the Nillkin case I bought for it)

Pixels in the bottom right of my AMOLED panel are failing at an alarming rate.

I am missing the 3.5mm jack and IR blaster that I used regularly on my last handset (MI A1) - I actually have a 2nd MI 8 still sitting in it's box brand new, because my better half decided to stick with her MI A1 as everything works well and she uses the 3.5mm with a headset constantly for meetings.

Reactions: Marko94
Oneplus 6? I sold it for mi8,and must say I am satisfied. I dont have any bugs atm.
Camera is better, battery life is better. And it is much cheaper..hehe

It works very smoothly, camera is very good :
- the notch is too wide. It is only after using the phone in my hand that I understood I am used to have both clock and notification icons in status bar
- flashing is a real mess ! I have always flashed my phone in order to install at least ad bocker. But there are so many problems when flashing rom with this phone (unlocking waiting time, anti roll back protection, problems with twrp, ...)
- battery is good but you can have better now (for example poco f1)

I do not have issues (maybe I am lucky or using few apps) and it is a good phone.
But finally I am a bit disappointed... If Oneplus 6t is better, I will sell my mi8.

Reactions: Marko94
Oneplus 6? I sold it for mi8,and must say I am satisfied. I dont have any bugs atm.
Camera is better, battery life is better. And it is much cheaper..hehe

No bugs? Having tried every ROM out there, please forgive me for being a little skeptical of that.....

What ROM are you using?

and this is what is happening to my screen.......
screenfailing.jpg

Thank you for your illustrative opinions. Just made my decision to go for Pocophone F1.

latest eu
So am I. (8.10.11) are you not experiencing any of the following? (these are the 3 that bother me the most)

The camera is really bad in comparison to how it was in the Oreo based MIUI 9 ROMS.(seriously, use a computer and have a look at them/zoom in - the lack of detail and noise level is pretty horrific - I am getting better pics with a MI A1 at the moment. :( ) This is totally inexcusable on Xiaomi's part - how can they have made it so much worse?!?!

Numerous status bar/notch alignment issues and odities switching between portrait and landscape (and no option to hide the notch, not even in developer options).

OK Google hotword detection is not working - this also has the knock-on effect of hotword detection not working when connected to the Android Auto headunit in my car - this is a problem for me as I rely on handsfree in my car a lot.

Hi,
i'm staisfaid with my Mi8, because for the price i don't think you get better. I'v aready have several phones from Xiaomi, and i can't complain ! OK, they are not perfect, but i like the possibility to geek the phone as you like, i like their shape, i like the xiaomi spirit and their quality !
i also like the help community who has help me everytime i need it.
I like their ROm ans the little plus you don't have in other phones !