Backup your device with google one

DADER

Members
May 27, 2013
Hi
The google's device backup function keeps turning off by itself on Xiaomi.eu roms only! How to fix that? I don't face such glitch on device's backup on stock rom just xiaomi.eu one...
Every time is like I am doing it for the first time and all previous ones get deleted...
Screenshots attached to clarify the issue...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-05-21-47-47-202_com.google.android.gms-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-05-21-47-47-202_com.google.android.gms-edit.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20231005_214002.jpg
    IMG_20231005_214002.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 96
Considering the fact that we have to use dirty workarounds just to pass SafetyNet, I wouldn't compare to stock ROMs.
So is it an unavoidable side effect of having custom rom with safety net active? Could it be fixed later on?
Thank you for your efforts...

So is it an unavoidable side effect of having custom rom with safety net active?
It can very likely be the reason. Especially the fact that we have to spoof the device's model.

Could it be fixed later on?
I don't work for Google, nor am I a hacker. I don't have a solution for that. Google's attestation is only going to be stricter, so things can only get worse.
Again, can't take responsibility for Google doing everything they can to kill custom ROMs.

Reactions: DADER and JiaiJ
:emoji_thinking:
It's probably not an inevitable side effect. It's probably device-specific.
On my Xiaomi 12 (Czech republic) / current Weekly ROM. I have no problem with backup to Google One. The backup is created automatically.

Reactions: DADER
:emoji_thinking:
It's probably not an inevitable side effect. It's probably device-specific.
On my Xiaomi 12 (Czech republic) / current Weekly ROM. I have no problem with backup to Google One. The backup is created automatically.
Did you try weekly and stable? Would you recommend weekly for a daily driver?
I wantes to use weeklies but afraid if there are constant or remarkable bugs...

Same here, using Fuxi MIUI 14 stable and I periodically find backup disabled and no backup on Google Drive.
I don't know if happens to each reboot, I don't access backup menu after each reboot.
If it cannot be solved, because it's a Google restriction, is there another backup suggestion?
I really wouldn't like to let my phone without backup while I believe it's backed up.
Even a warning "no active backup" would help a lot.

It can very likely be the reason. Especially the fact that we have to spoof the device's model.

I don't work for Google, nor am I a hacker. I don't have a solution for that. Google's attestation is only going to be stricter, so things can only get worse.
Again, can't take responsibility for Google doing everything they can to kill custom ROMs.
I don't believe it's a Google problem.
As long as phone is on Google keeps my backup endless.
The problem is phone reboot.
When reboot looks like phone turns off backup, and according to rules when phone turns off backup, Google remove backup data os their server.
So looks like a ROM problem, also because FUXI have this problem, other ROM don't.

I have also been affected by this for years and unable to find a reliable solution...

I also noticed, that the phone turns off backup on each reboot thus removing the backup from the server. As soon as I turn back on manually or via command promt the backup works as intended until the next reboot.

Would there be a way to change this so that the device does not disable backup on each reboot? Thanks for your efforts on this!

I have also been affected by this for years and unable to find a reliable solution...

I also noticed, that the phone turns off backup on each reboot thus removing the backup from the server. As soon as I turn back on manually or via command promt the backup works as intended until the next reboot.

Would there be a way to change this so that the device does not disable backup on each reboot? Thanks for your efforts on this!
Don't know, we don't have influence over Google or its apps.

Don't know, we don't have influence over Google or its apps.
No obviously you don´t and no one expects you to have. But you have influence over Xiaomi.eu roms, so let me rephrase my question.

Summary of my observations:
- If I open GDrive Backup right after reboot, the last backup is still there.
- Approx. one minute later bmgr service is disabled and backup is deleted from the server.
- As it only happens on each reboot: something seems to disable during bmgr service during boot-time.
- Even though I can re-enable the service manually or via command line, it is not a real solution as the backup still gets deleted on every restart and does not get recreated automatically after re-enabling the service.
- This behavior looks to be xiaomi.eu specific and is not present in other ROMs as confirmed by others.

That much I could figure out myself but I must admit that I do neither have the knowledge, nor the tools to investigate deeper.

I would be very grateful if you or your teammates with the required in-depth knowledge of the ROM could take a look on this. Thank you.

Reactions: KGVER and zeppelino
I have the same problem. And I think too it's ROM's problem. On my old Redmi Note 7 I have xiaomi.eu MIUI and there was no problems with it. And still if I turn RN7 on, google one keeps backing up. The same with my wife's old RN8 running Pixel Experience or POCO X5 Pro 5G on Stock ROM.
On my new Redmi Note 13 Pro 5G with Xiaomi.eu HyperOS after every reboot my backup is deleted..
We need solution for this

In my 13 I solved updating to HyperOs.
Backup was disabling at each reboot only on Miui 14, on HyperOs no more this issue.

I think I found something new. I rebooted the phone. Immediately after rebooting, I turned off mobile data and Wi-Fi. Google backup was again disabled, so I set it up while offline. Then I turned on Wi-Fi and mobile data transmission to be online again. My backup did not disappear from Google's servers.

Have someone test this behavior and let you know if it is repeatable. Perhaps as a workaround to this problem we need automation steps.