Data Mining and Backdoors on Xiaomi.EU ROM?

roc_steady

Members
Nov 25, 2018
Hello,

I'm concerned about the large amounts of data mining that Xiaomi performs on their phones, as described in their Privacy Policy. I'm also bothered by the fact that the Analytics app is apparently a backdoor for Xiaomi to remotely install apps onto their devices.

Does the Xiaomi.EU ROM fix both of these issues? Will my phone still be "calling home" to Xiaomi servers and sending them data if I install this ROM? Will Analytics.apk be removed? Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Reactions: Frits28
1. AnalyticsCore.apk is removed on EU ROMs.
2. Other MIUI launch their own analyticscore.apk embedded in the apps' APKs.
3. If you want to completely disable "calling home", don't use an MIUI device. You can't have MIUI features without it.

You can install a firewall app like Netguard, which lets you, even in the free version and without root, turn off internet access for all apps selectively, even system apps.
It will even let you check which ips are accessed by which apps, if I recall correctly.

I played around with this several years ago with one of our old Doogee phones when it was retired, have not tried it seriously with a Xiaomi.
As I recall most interesting was that some built-in Google app could use my mobile data even when it was "turned off".

You can not figure on using any android phone if you truly need real security, imho.