Google dialer and phone app

alfaholic

Members
Jul 26, 2020
Hello everyone,

I installed Google dialer and it works, but every time when I call someone it reverts to MIUI phone app.
How to change both to Google dialer?

MIUI has an integrated In Call UI, it's not part of the "Contacts and dialer" app, and as far as I'm aware, it cannot be overridden by the user.
Most recent Global ROMs don't have the In Call UI app, nor the "Contacts and dialer" app, and it's hardcoded to Google Dialer's in-call UI component there.

Reactions: alfaholic
Not sure why everyone like MIUI dialer more then Google one, if it is just because of call recording then many other thing are not working as good besides that.
Search is not as good, it does not show local business and numbers, it shows multiple contacts for the same person, one with email, another with phone numbers, it often crashes and gives but responding message.
If anything turns me back to global room it would be the dialer.

Reactions: paulpap
Not sure why everyone like MIUI dialer more then Google one, if it is just because of call recording then many other thing are not working as good besides that.
Search is not as good, it does not show local business and numbers, it shows multiple contacts for the same person, one with email, another with phone numbers, it often crashes and gives but responding message.
If anything turns me back to global room it would be the dialer.
Then go back to the global "room".
We're "the pure MIUI project", not the pure Google project.
MIUI is far from perfect, but nothing is perfect.

Then go back to the global "room".
We're "the pure MIUI project", not the pure Google project.
MIUI is far from perfect, but nothing is perfect.

Thanks, your work is magnificent!
I was just thinking out loud about why people like MIUI dialer more.
But you are right, nothing is perfect so all is in which compromise we want to accept.
Keep up with the good work.

Reactions: Igor Eisberg
I can call using any dialer if I set it as default
photo_2021-04-11_13-35-00.jpgphoto_2021-04-11_13-35-16.jpg

Thank you all. I still can not get it to work, maybe I am doing something wrong. I simply go to Apps, then upper right corner and choose Default Apps, and set Google Phone as default for Dial. Then when I call anyone it opens the MIUI calling app. The same is happening when someone calls me.
Should I do something else?

Thank you all. I still can not get it to work, maybe I am doing something wrong. I simply go to Apps, then upper right corner and choose Default Apps, and set Google Phone as default for Dial. Then when I call anyone it opens the MIUI calling app. The same is happening when someone calls me.
Should I do something else?
Can't reproduce this on Mi 10. Which device are you using?

I am using Mi10 with the latest weekly. Here is the video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Interesting, other phone apps from the Playstore work well. When using Google Phone app it often shows force close.

I am using Mi10 with the latest weekly. Here is the video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I have Mi 10 with the latest Weekly as well, and I cannot reproduce this behavior.

I click View Summary but nothing happens, it just opens the stock MIUI phone app.
Where to find crash logs?

I click View Summary but nothing happens, it just opens the stock MIUI phone app.
Where to find crash logs?
You clicked View summary and nothing happened? Have you "debloated" the ROM or something? Sounds like you have more issues than we can help you with.

Did not debloat anything, it was a clean install 3 or 4 weekly ago. After I press View Summary it shows for a fraction of a second and disappears, them the stock miui phone app comes out.

I did make bugreport zip. Is there some log I can post here?

Did not debloat anything, it was a clean install 3 or 4 weekly ago. After I press View Summary it shows for a fraction of a second and disappears, them the stock miui phone app comes out.

I did make bugreport zip. Is there some log I can post here?
A log, not a bugreport. You'll need "USB debugging" enabled in "Developer options", and ADB on your PC.
Code:
adb logcat > log.txt

Ah sorry, wrong file. Here it is on wetransfer as well as it is large:

Ah sorry, wrong file. Here it is on wetransfer as well as it is large:

Code:
E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.google.android.dialer, PID: 32338
E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.SecurityException: Requires READ_PHONE_STATE permission.
Long-tap Google Phone app -> App info -> Permissions -> Get device info -> Always allow.