miui 9.6 by Xiaomi.eu 8.4.4 --> miui 11

grammes

Members
Jul 4, 2016
Hey,

I was really happy with the 8.4.4, so I made no update for a really long time! Today my home button stopped working from one second to the next second. Also the fingerprint doesn't work anymore. But as I have seen there is a possibility to unlock my phone via face detection (never have seen this option before!). Now I hope the not working home button is only a software incompatibility.

That's the reason I want to make a update, have a few questions and hope for your help.

Is it possible to made a dirty update from (miui 9.6) xiaomi.eu 8.4.4 to miui 11 (stable or weekly- I have seen this is the last version for the mi6)? What do I have to consider?

Kind regards,
Grammes

P.S.: I have twrp 3.2.1-0 installed.

There are mostly 3 things to consider:
- You may want to update to the more recent TWRP
- If you want to switch to the stable, you need to format data
- If you stay on weekly, you may bootloop because there is a long time between the versions, and a format data would be needed

Hey,

I was really happy with the 8.4.4, so I made no update for a really long time! Today my home button stopped working from one second to the next second. Also the fingerprint doesn't work anymore. But as I have seen there is a possibility to unlock my phone via face detection (never have seen this option before!). Now I hope the not working home button is only a software incompatibility.

That's the reason I want to make a update, have a few questions and hope for your help.

Is it possible to made a dirty update from (miui 9.6) xiaomi.eu 8.4.4 to miui 11 (stable or weekly- I have seen this is the last version for the mi6)? What do I have to consider?

Kind regards,
Grammes

P.S.: I have twrp 3.2.1-0 installed.
Latest version for mi 6 is 12.1 xiaomi.eu
It is working fine and I am using it.
Use latest twrp 3.5.2.9.0 for sagit

Thx for your answers.

Do you know if it is possible to update twrp inside of twrp or do I have to flash it via fastboot?

The 12.1 xiaomi.eu is also a stable one? So you both recommend me a full wipe? Does the miui-backup works between the two versions?
Do you know the problem with the home button?

Thx for your answers.

Do you know if it is possible to update twrp inside of twrp or do I have to flash it via fastboot?

The 12.1 xiaomi.eu is also a stable one? So you both recommend me a full wipe? Does the miui-backup works between the two versions?
Do you know the problem with the home button?
I don't have any problem with the home button.
The eu rom I am referring to is the latest beta version. It has been running for more than a year and hence can be regarded as sort of stable rom.
Yes you can update twrp inside twrp and actually this is the correct way of doing it. After you flash the new twrp img don't reboot to system but to recovery then the recovery will become permanent.
However, if you switch from a stable rom to beta format data is necessary.

I don't have any problem with the home button.

Sounds good!

Yes you can update twrp inside twrp and actually this is the correct way of doing it. After you flash the new twrp img don't reboot to system but to recovery then the recovery will become permanent.

Thx!

The eu rom I am referring to is the latest beta version. It has been running for more than a year and hence can be regarded as sort of stable rom.
However, if you switch from a stable rom to beta format data is necessary

Ok. The 12.1 is a beta? The 8.4.4 is also a beta.

/Edit
All question are solved. 12.1 is the weekly "20.6.18": https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/20-6-18.56244/

Made a "Full Wipe" . Home Button and Fingerprint are still not working! :((((

Last edited:
Reactions: slaihk
Sounds good!

Thx!

Ok. The 12.1 is a beta? The 8.4.4 is also a beta.

/Edit
All question are solved. 12.1 is the weekly "20.6.18": https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/20-6-18.56244/

Made a "Full Wipe" . Home Button and Fingerprint are still not working! :((((
20.6.18 is fantastic and has been for a very long time.

Though we remain hopeful - the devs will release something... someday...

It would be better -
1. Make a full backup and save it in your PC/Laptop.
2. Wipe everything and Erase Data (Yes) and than flash 20.6.18.
3. After the 1st Boot and initial settings, do a normal Reboot.
4. Finally, install Magisk 21 (you can update later).

This process helped me. so, I hope this helps you as well.
PS: are you sure, the fingerprint is not a hardware issue..?

Last edited:
PS: are you sure, the fingerprint is not a hardware issue..?

As nothing helped until now, I think it is a hardwar issue :(. Sadly there are no small phones on the market left. Don't know what to do, right now I live without a home button...

As nothing helped until now, I think it is a hardwar issue :(. Sadly there are no small phones on the market left. Don't know what to do, right now I live without a home button...
Sadly the only option currently is using a virtual home button app from the play store, its most likely a hardware issue if it stopped working out of nowhere.