Random Restarts During Google Navigation

Adam z Wawra

Members
Sep 21, 2016
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I am using a Xiaomi Redmi 3S with soft Global 7.5.9.
This is the newest stable global rom available today and it is updated using OTA.
I have not rooted (nor unlocked) the phone nor installed custom firmware like Xiaomi.eu.

I have used the smartphone for about 3 weeks and I have not seen a single problem.
But last week I have used it for navigation using google maps (GPS + 4G + Bluetooth).
And the device has simply restarted after about 2 hours.
Then after turning it on (and running the navigation again) it restarted again after about 30 minutes.

During a second trip it restarted twice again. Both during navigation turned on. After turning the navigation off the problem did not appear again.

Before those 2 trips I have used google navigation only for a short period (30-60 minutes) and that would not lead to any single restart.

By restart I mean hard reset, without any warning it rebooted. The phone turned black and then Xiaomi logo appeared and I had to enter the PIN code, etc. Just like the phone had a hard reset.
The temperature of the device was not high. The device did not overheat - it was not hot. Actually I can not get the device hot even after long usage.

So my question is:
- is it device specific and I should make a complain to seller and replace the device (warranty)
- or is it somehow related to the software - but I am using the oldest the most stable software - and the only available for today - should I upgrade to the developer version of the rom (MIUI 8)?

To troubleshoot the problem yesterday I have run google maps navigation (without moving, just leaving it on the table) for a few hours and the smartphone restarted once. I have connected the device and run logcat Today to repeat the problem but it is running only for a few minutes now and it is still working.

If the device restarts while being connected to my pc - will it be visible in the logcat?

I would appreciate any help how to make the device not to restart spontaneously any more.
This is frustrating for me because it is a brand new device and I have bought 9H glass for the front and a case for the back of the device for protection. And I have not damaged/hit the device. Everything works fine, both 4G, bluetooth, gps, etc. Just I have had (total of) 5 restarts during google maps navigation usage.

I have looked through the whole forum but I could not find anyone having the same problem. Am I the only one experiencing this kind of problems?

Any help would be appreciated,
Adam

The exact same thing has happened to me three times now. Exactly as you are describing. And with different MIUI versions. I do not know what causes the issue, but i suspect it's software related.

I am currently using CM13, but haven't been able to test it yet.

Actually this is EU rom forum. For official Miui rom, you need to post in official forum at
en.miui.com

Reactions: DimmChe