Ready to try flash xiaomi.eu ROM

AlanMc

Members
Sep 27, 2018
Hi guys,

I just got a xiaomi mi 8 from china, its on mui 9.5 and has the stock recovery installed.

I want to flash twrp and try the xiaomi.eu rom but am unsure about 1 thing since this is my first time to flash a phone without an SD card slot.

All of the threads I have seen here and on XDA say transfer the rom to internal storage, format or wipe? data and then flash the rom.

but doesn't formatting data wipe the phones internal storage? so then the rom will have been deleted from the internal storage?

When I flash twrp, what are the exact steps to wipe or format data? im not sure which options to chose in twrp

Thanks guys

Hey Alan,

The format and wipe piece from TWRP is just to get rid of the files related to the old ROM. Makes for a fresh install.

Once you boot into recovery with TWRP, click into Wipe. You can see that the default Wipe with swipe option does Data, Cache and Dalvik.

This option should be enough, this won't touch your internal storage (emulated sdcard) so your downloaded ROM will still be there.

To get comfortable with this process, I suggest you use TWRP to do a Backup of the current ROM on your device. Then follow the steps above to Wipe the data with the swipe option. Reboot into recovery again and see that your ROM backup is still there, on the internal storage (emulated sdcard)

God speed.

Rob

Hi guys,

I just got a xiaomi mi 8 from china, its on mui 9.5 and has the stock recovery installed.

I want to flash twrp and try the xiaomi.eu rom but am unsure about 1 thing since this is my first time to flash a phone without an SD card slot.

All of the threads I have seen here and on XDA say transfer the rom to internal storage, format or wipe? data and then flash the rom.

but doesn't formatting data wipe the phones internal storage? so then the rom will have been deleted from the internal storage?

When I flash twrp, what are the exact steps to wipe or format data? im not sure which options to chose in twrp

Thanks guys
Never touch/check system, internal storage option in twrp advance wipe , If you want to go from miui rom to another. If facing malfunction apps or anythin after flashing do a factory reset *default reset* which wipe ( data, cache dalvik) only.

Format data *right side* option, is to wipe entirely ur partition *sory not really* its just a media, photos and all dowloaded file which store in internal storage. *so beware*

Last edited:
thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated,

gonna give this a shot now
In other cases, if you wanted to try custom rom such as Lineage os, Havos os, etc which are rom that entirely different from miui rom, you may need to consider wiping the system partition and others partition *excluding the internal storage *in advanced option.

Somes others cases, format data option also needed as it some custom rom need to entirely formating the partition. *rare cases*. So if you want to flashing, always ask the developer of the Custom Rom what s need to be wiping,usually they provide the instruction, so no need to be worry. Haha

just flashed the rom to my phone and it seems to be stuck on the mi logo,

its only been like that 5 mins, should I wait a little longer or is there anything else I can do?

Im not sure if the flash was successful

just flashed the rom to my phone and it seems to be stuck on the mi logo,

its only been like that 5 mins, should I wait a little longer or is there anything else I can do?

Im not sure if the flash was successful
Disable dm verity

A factory reset solved the issue.

the rom is running great so far, just 1 thing though, NFC does not appear to be working.

Is magisk required to make NFC work?

Thank you for the help guys :)

I wiped everything during install in TWRP (followed some italian tutorial I no longer have the link to). xiaomi.eu miui 10 stable installed fine, nfc works. After wiping I copied the new rom over to the phone in TWRP. One thing I didn't manage was to get TWRP to stay after switching phone off (vol down + power still boots to fastboot), but since you can just boot it with an image from your pc and do whatever you need it's not a huge problem.

I wiped everything during install in TWRP (followed some italian tutorial I no longer have the link to). xiaomi.eu miui 10 stable installed fine, nfc works. After wiping I copied the new rom over to the phone in TWRP. One thing I didn't manage was to get TWRP to stay after switching phone off (vol down + power still boots to fastboot), but since you can just boot it with an image from your pc and do whatever you need it's not a huge problem.

Try Power + Volume UP

Reactions: YogiPL