Redmi 3 is supposed to be "EOL", but I still received new updates that's breaking the phone

Redmi3User2

Members
Mar 26, 2020
My redmi 3 update history:
5.1 2020: Calendar 11.0.2.0
30.1 2020: Calendar 11.0.2.2
26.3 2020: Calendar 11.0.1.4

Apparently these updates shouldn't exist for redmi 3, and they've completely broken my calendar.
The fact that the phone isn't receiving support for whatever reason anymore shouldn't mean that it should receive things that break it, something should be done about this, it's surely affected many users of the older phones. This is very planned obsolescence-like stuff, and it should not be ignored. People should also be able to google and find clarification on their redmi 3 calendar's breaking because of updates that shouldn't exist.

Some miui apps will keep getting play store updates which work properly on newer devices or even non-xiaomi devices, but if they detect you're using miui, they'll try to hook into xiaomi services, and should your system be terribly out of date, there could be problems. It's a hassle for developers to keep track of every past device and label the update as incompatible, so just uninstall the updates from settings, use apkmirror to try and find the latest working version and stick with it, disable auto updates for those apps.

Reactions: iamme729
Some miui apps will keep getting play store updates which work properly on newer devices or even non-xiaomi devices, but if they detect you're using miui, they'll try to hook into xiaomi services, and should your system be terribly out of date, there could be problems. It's a hassle for developers to keep track of every past device and label the update as incompatible, so just uninstall the updates from settings, use apkmirror to try and find the latest working version and stick with it, disable auto updates for those apps.
Thanks for the reply. But the thing is that it's so broken that it won't let me access it in the settings either. It just instantly restarts the settings "app"/window when I tap the calendar option on the settings.
Surely they test the updates on all the phones they've made for, it doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't make the new update detect which phone it's being installed on, and if it's not been tested on that phone, you shouldn't be able to install it, especially with auto updates on.

Thanks for the reply. But the thing is that it's so broken that it won't let me access it in the settings either. It just instantly restarts the settings "app"/window when I tap the calendar option on the settings.
Surely they test the updates on all the phones they've made for, it doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't make the new update detect which phone it's being installed on, and if it's not been tested on that phone, you shouldn't be able to install it, especially with auto updates on.
How did you get those updates anyway? I'm not aware of any MIUI Calendar pushed through Play Store.

How did you get those updates anyway? I'm not aware of any MIUI Calendar pushed through Play Store.
The updates just pop up on the menu that's dragged down from the top of the screen, and some of them were on auto update (but I turned that off now). I don't think there's an updater app icon anywhere, you just acces it when it shows new updates on the menu, or you can do it from settings. The Calendar is a system app, I don't know about Play Store Calendars.

The updates just pop up on the menu that's dragged down from the top of the screen, and some of them were on auto update (but I turned that off now). I don't think there's an updater app icon anywhere, you just acces it when it shows new updates on the menu, or you can do it from settings. The Calendar is a system app, I don't know about Play Store Calendars.
In that case, you're not using our ROM, you're using an official Global ROM and the updates you get are coming from System app updater (which we don't use on our ROMs).

In that case, you're not using our ROM, you're using an official Global ROM and the updates you get are coming from System app updater (which we don't use on our ROMs).
Sorry, I don't understand what that means... Isn't this the official forum? I don't know what a phone ROM is.