Redmi Note 4 - How to update MIUI & Android?

akarypid

Members
Dec 24, 2023
My dad is 87. He has a Redmi Note 4 that is in rough shape (I will refer to this as "current" phone), so I bought a used Redmi Note 4 in good shape (will refer to this as "new" phone).

My problem is that the "new" phone is running Android 6 and MIUI 8, whereas the "current" phone is running Android 7 with MIUI 11. When I use system updater to check for updates I get "No updates available". I initially asked on reddit and it was suggested that I use a custom ROM. Attached is a photo of the two phones on their about screen.

I found this site and I'm just trying to get some guidance on how to go about this. If I've understood correctly, I should go for this version:

1. Is this the correct thread to follow?
2. Also, how can I tell if my phone has a locked boot loader? The instructions seem to be special if the bootloader is locked?
3. Which of the tons of files is suitable for my device? There's 55 files on sourceforge and 213 files on androidfiles!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231223_225150.JPG
    20231223_225150.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
You don't have the same models.
1) The "new" device uses a Mediatek chipset and its final version is android 6. (M BF CNXM)
2) "Current" device uses Qualcomm chipset and its final version is android 7. (N CF CNXM)

Last edited:
Reactions: MeiGuddet
You don't have the same models.
1) The "new" device uses a Mediatek chipset and its final version is android 6. (M BF CNXM)
2) "Current" device uses Qualcomm chipset and its final version is android 7. (N CF CNXM)
Interesting, I thought that as "Redmi Note 4" the software would be aligned. I heard for example that Samsung does the same with its own chipset and a Qualcomm one, but in general the software runs on both variants.

If this is the case then I guess that explains why the "new" won't update to 7. I will try and find a used model that is Qualcomm-based.