Redmi Note 8 - xiaomi.eu MIUI 12 help

dtfmi

Members
May 11, 2020
Hello,

It's my first post around here. I'm putting to rest my redmi note 5 and start using redmi note 8 that has MIUI 11 Global.

Since I still want to use xiaomi apps (dialer, contacts, messages), and not the ones from google, I want to install a xiaomi.eu rom with MIUI 12.

Can someone help me how to proceed, like step by step?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Hi there...

First, you'll gonna need a PC that can connect to your phone via USB (I know that one is obvious but it's a good starting point so bare with me :)).

Then, I'd suggest you to read this thread - there you'll find step-by-step instructions how to flash any Xiaomi phone actually.

After you've read the tutorial, read it again then ask anything that seem unclear to you. There are many people here that are willing to help - so don't be shy and ask away.

Have fun..

Last edited:
Hi there...

First, you'll gonna need a PC that can connect to your phone via USB (I know that one is obvious but it's a good starting point so bare with me :)).

Then, I'd suggest you to read this thread - there you'll find step-by-step instructions how to flash any Xiaomi phone actually.

After you've read the tutorial, read it again then ask anything that seem unclear to you. There are many people here that are willing to help - so don't be shy and ask away.

Have fun..

Hello,

First of all, thanks for replying.

I'm waiting the 168 hours period for bootloader unlock, next week will be unlocked.
I've already installed "Minimal ADB and Fastboot (2-9-8)". I'm on the next step now, here: https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomiredminote8.html
The TWRP .iso is already on the same folder as "Minimal ADB and Fastboot".

Next (when the bootloader is unlocked), I download the .EU rom for RN8 storage and then:

"Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img

and this steps:
- Now your phone will boot into TWRP.
OPTIONAL STEPS (Not Recommended): Encryption is always recommended for better security. However if you don't want encryption in your device, follow these steps. Again, not recommended.
- In TWRP go to Wipe and select Format Data(don't go to advanced). Type yes and format data. [This process will format all your data so make sure your data is backed up]
- Go back to TWRP home and Reboot > Recovery.(Don't reboot system or else you will have to repeat whole process again).
- Done "

Is that it?

Hi there...

Have fun..
Something strange. In "this thread" link:
- via smartphone goes to https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/how-to-flash-xiaomi-eu-rom-tutorial.40557/
- via pc goes to https://forum.xda-developers.com/re...de-unlocking-bootloader-twrp-rooting-t4031831

I'm afraid that's my doing - I made the reply with the xiaomi.eu link, then later I've found the XDA Developers Guide and edited my reply to include that link.
I guess the xiaomi.eu forum software didn't like that idea very much... :):):)

Anyway, the XDA Developers Guide is the one I'm inclined to trust a bit more, but TBH - both tutorials are actually saying the same thing..

Reactions: >Charso and dtfmi
Hello,

First of all, thanks for replying.

I'm waiting the 168 hours period for bootloader unlock, next week will be unlocked.
I've already installed "Minimal ADB and Fastboot (2-9-8)". I'm on the next step now, here: https://twrp.me/xiaomi/xiaomiredminote8.html
The TWRP .iso is already on the same folder as "Minimal ADB and Fastboot".

Next (when the bootloader is unlocked), I download the .EU rom for RN8 storage and then:

"Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img

and this steps:
- Now your phone will boot into TWRP.
OPTIONAL STEPS (Not Recommended): Encryption is always recommended for better security. However if you don't want encryption in your device, follow these steps. Again, not recommended.
- In TWRP go to Wipe and select Format Data(don't go to advanced). Type yes and format data. [This process will format all your data so make sure your data is backed up]
- Go back to TWRP home and Reboot > Recovery.(Don't reboot system or else you will have to repeat whole process again).
- Done "

Is that it?

In a nutshell - yes..
.. BUT with just one thing more. When you've finished with the flashing process of the TWRP recovery image and you're ready to reboot your phone into the newly flashed recovery, you'll need to do this:
>>type the following command into your computer:
fastboot reboot
and BEFORE YOU HIT THE <ENTER> KEY to run the command, press and hold Vol- and Power keys on your phone. After the phone reboots, release the Power button but keep pressing the Vol- until you see the TWRP screen.
After that, just keep following the original guide and flash away...

Have fun and it's there's anything else you'd like to ask.... well, just ask.

Reactions: r.aydin and dtfmi
In a nutshell - yes..
.. BUT with just one thing more. When you've finished with the flashing process of the TWRP recovery image and you're ready to reboot your phone into the newly flashed recovery, you'll need to do this:
>>type the following command into your computer:
fastboot reboot
and BEFORE YOU HIT THE <ENTER> KEY to run the command, press and hold Vol- and Power keys on your phone. After the phone reboots, release the Power button but keep pressing the Vol- until you see the TWRP screen.
After that, just keep following the original guide and flash away...

Have fun and it's there's anything else you'd like to ask.... well, just ask.
I'll not forget that "fastboot reboot" command.
I have two more doubts:
- Is it mandatory to enable OEM unlock?
- Is anything I need to do in "Advanced Wipe" in TWRP? I read somewhere that was needed to wipe "dalvik/art cache, "cache" and "data".

Thanks for your help.

I'll not forget that "fastboot reboot" command.
I have two more doubts:
- Is it mandatory to enable OEM unlock?
- Is anything I need to do in "Advanced Wipe" in TWRP? I read somewhere that was needed to wipe "dalvik/art cache, "cache" and "data".

Thanks for your help.

OEM Unlock is an option that basically authorises access to the bootloader protected space from the fastboot environment - which is necessary if you intend to unlock your Xiaomi phone, so yes - it's mandatory.

Wiping Dalvik/Cache, Cache and Data partitions before flashing any new ROM is absolutely necessary, but what-should-I-wipe subject is a bit more complicated. It depends on what you're about to flash...
When you're upgrading newer ROM from the same vendor with the same major Android Version (i.e. from Xiaomi EU MIUI11 Android 9 v. 1.0.2.0 to Xiaomi EU MIUI11 Android 9 v. 1.0.4.0), Dalvik, Cache and Data Partition wipe before flashing is enough (actually, you don't really have to wipe Data in that particular case at all.. told ya it's complicated ;)).
In any other case, wiping System partition (and even Vendor) before flashing is highly advisible + formating Data partition after the new ROM had been successfully flashed is a mandatory step - otherwise your phone will be stuck in a boot loop (it'll constantly boot into recovery).

I hope I was able to help.
If not, u now what to do...
Cheers

OEM Unlock is an option that basically authorises access to the bootloader protected space from the fastboot environment - which is necessary if you intend to unlock your Xiaomi phone, so yes - it's mandatory.

Wiping Dalvik/Cache, Cache and Data partitions before flashing any new ROM is absolutely necessary, but what-should-I-wipe subject is a bit more complicated. It depends on what you're about to flash...
When you're upgrading newer ROM from the same vendor with the same major Android Version (i.e. from Xiaomi EU MIUI11 Android 9 v. 1.0.2.0 to Xiaomi EU MIUI11 Android 9 v. 1.0.4.0), Dalvik, Cache and Data Partition wipe before flashing is enough (actually, you don't really have to wipe Data in that particular case at all.. told ya it's complicated ;)).
In any other case, wiping System partition (and even Vendor) before flashing is highly advisible + formating Data partition after the new ROM had been successfully flashed is a mandatory step - otherwise your phone will be stuck in a boot loop (it'll constantly boot into recovery).

I hope I was able to help.
If not, u now what to do...
Cheers
Hi there,

In this case, since I have MIUI 11.0.9 Global Stable, it's needed to wipe Dalvik/Cache, Cache and Data partitions, right?

"In any other case, wiping System partition (and even Vendor) before flashing is highly advisible + formating Data partition after the new ROM had been successfully flashed is a mandatory step - otherwise your phone will be stuck in a boot loop (it'll constantly boot into recovery)."

I thought formating Data Partition was a step before flashing a new ROM, not after.

Hi there,

In this case, since I have MIUI 11.0.9 Global Stable, it's needed to wipe Dalvik/Cache, Cache and Data partitions, right?

"In any other case, wiping System partition (and even Vendor) before flashing is highly advisible + formating Data partition after the new ROM had been successfully flashed is a mandatory step - otherwise your phone will be stuck in a boot loop (it'll constantly boot into recovery)."

I thought formating Data Partition was a step before flashing a new ROM, not after.

I myself have always done formating Data after a successful flash and before the first reboot whenever I'm flashing anything that wasn't a direct upgrade of the ROM currently on my device.

Can't say that I exactly know why that should be done in that particular way but somewhere along the way I've had the boot loop problem once or twice. But when I've adopted the 'format Data after the flashing' step, everything worked like a clockwork for me.

Reactions: dtfmi
I myself have always done formating Data after a successful flash and before the first reboot whenever I'm flashing anything that wasn't a direct upgrade of the ROM currently on my device.

Can't say that I exactly know why that should be done in that particular way but somewhere along the way I've had the boot loop problem once or twice. But when I've adopted the 'format Data after the flashing' step, everything worked like a clockwork for me.
Ok, then. I'll try that way.

On the 13th I will have the bootloader unlocked. Let's hope everything works fine.

I'll let you know. Thanks again for your precious help.

Cheers.

Ok, then. I'll try that way.

On the 13th I will have the bootloader unlocked. Let's hope everything works fine.

I'll let you know. Thanks again for your precious help.

Cheers.

I'm confident everything will go just perfect..
In any case, help is always available.

Good luck and have fun

I'm confident everything will go just perfect..
In any case, help is always available.

Good luck and have fun
Just a quick question: an update of weekly release is made via OTA or via TWRP? Or both?

Thanks

Hello,

well, I f**k it up :D

I did this:

adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot boot twrp.img

Once it booted in TWRP I wiped data, and then in "Advanced Wipe" I wiped "Dalvik/Cache, Cache and Data partitions", and I also wiped "System partition (and even Vendor)" as you said.

I try to rebbot into recovery in TWRP and got the error "The system has been destroyed".

I did something wrong, right? :|

How I can solve this?

UPDATE: I did that method with the vbmeta file, after that I was able to reboot with twrp. I Install the rom and everything is working fine.

Heya,

Sorry for not being around... been a bit busy.
Anyway, I'm glad everything went well for ya.. eventually ;)