Rom for Redmi Note 8 on Redmi Note 8T: why not?

domthewizard

Members
Mar 14, 2016
The question in simply: why I can't install the rom for Note 8 (gingko) on Note 8T (willow)? The hardware is the same except for the 4g+ and nfc. If I try, what risk?

Hi...

I did it myself, installed miui 12 for ginkgo on my Note 8T. It worked ok for a few hours I had it running, no problems at all...
... BUT, as we all know there's no NFC support in ginkgo ROM and that little feature is kinda important to me - ergo, I've reflashed xiaomi.eu's 11.0.4.0 willow ROM.

The point is, ginkgo MIUI12 ROM was running smooth, so I'd say there's no reason for u not to try if u wanna and can live without NFC (which is kinda why you chose 8T in the first place, I'm guessing) :)

Last edited:
Then knock yourself out... :D
Although, according to info on this page, in the next couple of weeks all of us, Redmi Note 8T owners, will be getting MIUI 12 as an official update.

So, maybe it'd be wiser to wait couple of weeks and see what happens. In any case,
take care and have fun.

I try to make this update but not works, in recovery appears the error "E3004 this package is for ginkgo devices; this is a willow" :(

Yeah I know that but for ginkgo there are weekly releases but for willow not
you can modify the rom digest, like here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
At your how risk but should work....

Interesting, but I've notice that last update is july

True, but then again they are tweaked ROM's made for another device so - the way I see it - they are kinda preview of things to come, not something to use in one's everyday life.

That being said, now that you have the link you can try the ROM or not.. either way, have fun. :D

Thanks, I think I will wait "official" stable
Well, now that you'd made up your mind, I can tell you I'm happy you've chosen to wait. I've tried the software and it's all nice and well but you actually can tell it's not the real thing. Suffice to say it lasted about 5 hours on my Note 8T before it was replaced by a different ROM (Resurrection Remix 8.5 in case you're wondering).

Hi...

I did it myself, installed miui 12 for ginkgo on my Note 8T. It worked ok for a few hours I had it running, no problems at all...
... BUT, as we all know there's no NFC support in ginkgo ROM and that little feature is kinda important to me - ergo, I've reflashed xiaomi.eu's 11.0.4.0 willow ROM.

The point is, ginkgo MIUI12 ROM was running smooth, so I'd say there's no reason for u not to try if u wanna and can live without NFC (which is kinda why you chose 8T in the first place, I'm guessing) :)

So xiaomi.eu's 11.0.4.0 willow ROM on Note 8T won't break the NFC functionality?

So xiaomi.eu's 11.0.4.0 willow ROM on Note 8T won't break the NFC functionality?

No, nothing in that ROM will mess up or break RMNote8T if flashed correctly.

But all that discussion is a bit of a moot point now cause there's an stable Xiaomi.eu published MIUI 12 ROM for willow... get it, flash it and enjoy it.
I did, and it is really good.

Hope this helps.
Take care and have fun..