Run into encryption issue during upgrade to MIUI 10. Please help me to save phone data.

wisebear

Members
Sep 15, 2018
I wanted to do an update from xiaomi.eu MIUI 9.5.X to MIUI 10 on my wife's Mi Note 3. Unfortunately, I run into encryption troubles. Here are the steps I did:

1. Booted to preinstalled TWRP (I think it was 3.0.2) and did a full backup but only saved it to internal phone storage
2. Wiped Dalvik+Cache
3. Tried to install MIUI 10 Stable but got some errors in TWRP (remember it saying Error 7). Tried to wipe System as well but didn't help.
4. I updated TWRP to 3.1.1. and then managed to successfully install MIUI 10 version. First boot went OK.

Because I wiped System in TWRP I lost all app settings. My idea was to do a restore from a full 9.5.X backup and then update to MIUI 10 in order to keep all applications etc.

5. So I booted again to TWRP 3.1.1 and did a restore from a backup.

After the reboot following message appeared: ''Encryption was interrupted and can't complete. As a result, the data on your phone is no longer accessible. To resume using your phone you need to perform a factory reset....''. In TWRP I can't access any files on internal storage - it shows 0 MB.

Can you please explain to me why this happened? Is it somehow related to TWRP update after performing a backup? I know that the solution is to format data in TWRP. Is there any way of saving phone's data?? Does it make sense to try flashing MIUI 10 ROM via USB-OTG?

Any help would be highly appreciated. We really don't want to lose photos of our little baby from last holidays.

Thank you.