So Xiaomi removed encryption in MIUI?

Un coq

Members
Oct 22, 2016
I am very, very disappointed in Xiaomi. When I first got my Mi 9, I was able to encrypt it with the lockscreen password, as the option existed in years.

However it seems that with MIUI 11, this option was first moved to the developers menu, then removed entirely.

So I wiped my phone, and when I installed it afresh, I noticed that this option was completely gone.

I tried flashing an older version of MIUI 10 and much to my surprise, I found the option completely gone too!

I am disgusted by Xiaomi's sneaky behavior. Full device encryption is one of the basics to keep your data safe.

If the ability to encrypt using your password is removed, it means your data can be accessed if your phone is lost or confiscated and you can do nothing.

If it indeed is true I will never buy a Xiaomi phone ever again.

I am very, very disappointed in Xiaomi. When I first got my Mi 9, I was able to encrypt it with the lockscreen password, as the option existed in years.

However it seems that with MIUI 11, this option was first moved to the developers menu, then removed entirely.

So I wiped my phone, and when I installed it afresh, I noticed that this option was completely gone.

I tried flashing an older version of MIUI 10 and much to my surprise, I found the option completely gone too!

I am disgusted by Xiaomi's sneaky behavior. Full device encryption is one of the basics to keep your data safe.

If the ability to encrypt using your password is removed, it means your data can be accessed if your phone is lost or confiscated and you can do nothing.

If it indeed is true I will never buy a Xiaomi phone ever again.
If you can't encrypt it's only TWRP related. Official one encrypt perfect way.
Anyway encryption is not difficult to get set. Just use a forceencrypt.zip.

If you can't encrypt it's only TWRP related. Official one encrypt perfect way.
Anyway encryption is not difficult to get set. Just use a forceencrypt.zip.

Not it's not, in the official ROM, the option no longer exists to encrypt the whole phone with your password. I doubt the Xiaomi.eu ROM is any different.

Not it's not, in the official ROM, the option no longer exists to encrypt the whole phone with your password. I doubt the Xiaomi.eu ROM is any different.
Xiaomi eu rom is different. Check fstab flag.