stuck in fastboot mode

RiadK

Members
Apr 29, 2021
Hi,
i have a problem and i would appreciate if anybody can help, my new Mi 11 ultra in stuck on fastboot mode and the adb tool send me this message:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot boot twrp.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 2.884s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Device Error)
finished. total time: 2.912s
i need help what to do?, thank you in advance.

If you have downloaded the tgz version (fastboot rom) unzip twice and go to the image folder.
Copy recovery.img, boot.img, and system.img

Go to adb and run the following commands:
1. fastboot flash system "drag system.img to cmd"
2. fastboot flash recovery "drag recovery.img to cmd"
3. fastboot flash boot "drag boot.img to cmd"

This have helped at least one guy a a different forum.

Edited: Im not shure, but i dont think you can use "fastboot boot twrp.img" for your case you should then use only: fastboot flash recovery "recoveryfiledirectory"

I`m guessing you are trying to flash twrp as a recovery - hence use fastboot flash recovery "twrp.img file dragget in".
Also i see that there are recomendation you rename twrp.img to recovery.img so it replaces the already existing recovery.img file.

hi Robin,
thank you for trying to help me!
when i try to load twrp by using the comand "fastboot boot twrp.img" the result is this message :
OKAY [ 2.884s]
booting...
so this solution will not work, i shall try your other suggestions, but please confirm the exact commands:
example: fastboot flash system "drag system.img to cmd"
or i have to write in ADB: fastboot flash system.img ?
thank you for your help.

1. rename twrp.img to recovery.img.
2. fastboot devices to check if device is indeed in fastboot and available for commands
3. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img -> instead of the last "recovery.img" you need to have the directory on your computer for the given file. for example fastboot flash recovery C:\adb\recovery.img if the recovery.img is placed in this directory.

After this you should use: fastboot reboot to reboot device and then hold powerbutton + up/down volume to get into recovery.
I also would recomend orangefox recovery that i personally have become a fan of since i first tried twrp and like orangefox better in my experience.

Also remember to download the correct twrp/orangefox recovery.img for your device (This is very important)

Also:
From another forum if this does not solve the issue and you want back to original recovery /boot /system img. might help you if you are really stuck.
1. fastboot devices
2. fastboot flash system system.img (drag and drop it from the fastboot rom file)
Press enter
3. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (same thing with the recovery file)
Press enter
4. fastboot flash boot boot.img (same thing with boot file)
Press enter
5. fastboot reboot
Press enter

I used the the system, boot and recovery files from a stable ROM:
First you get a .tgz file if you download the fastboot version. Extract that and you will get a tar file. Name that into fastboot.tgz and extract that again, then you will get a new file and in there you can find the 3 files used above.

if theres anythings that are unclear just let me know! Also im pretty new to this flashing custom roms / ADB, and fastboot so i might not be able to help you, but i will try my best!

2. fastboot devices to check if device is indeed in fastboot and available for commands
3. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img -> instead of the last "recovery.img" you need to have the directory on your computer for the given file. for example fastboot flash recovery C:\adb\recovery.img if the recovery.img is placed in this directory.

After this you should use: fastboot reboot to reboot device and then hold powerbutton + up/down volume to get into recovery.
I also would recomend orangefox recovery that i personally have become a fan of since i first tried twrp and like orangefox better in my experience.

Also remember to download the correct twrp/orangefox recovery.img for your device (This is very important)

Also:
From another forum if this does not solve the issue and you want back to original recovery /boot /system img. might help you if you are really stuck.
1. fastboot devices
2. fastboot flash system system.img (drag and drop it from the fastboot rom file)
Press enter
Press enter
Press enter
5. fastboot reboot
Press enter

First you get a .tgz file if you download the fastboot version. Extract that and you will get a tar file. Name that into fastboot.tgz and extract that again, then you will get a new file and in there you can find the 3 files used above.

if theres anythings that are unclear just let me know! Also im pretty new to this flashing custom roms / ADB, and fastboot so i might not be able to help you, but i will try my best!

hi again Robin,
i shall try your instructions, anyway you are very kind and i appreciate your help, i hope to succeed !

Reactions: RobinAnt
Hi,
i have a problem and i would appreciate if anybody can help, my new Mi 11 ultra in stuck on fastboot mode and the adb tool send me this message:
OKAY [ 2.884s]
booting...
i need help what to do?, thank you in advance.

I got the same issue with the difference that it says "Load Error" and not "Device Error".
I can also see in the windows File Explorer that the unit does not show up there.

Also:
1. fastboot devices
Press enter
Press enter
Press enter
5. fastboot reboot
Press enter

Hi, sorry to come in here with more questions but I'm a bit desperate. A few days ago I tried to start using twpr and start using Xiaomi.eu formware insteda of the Chinese version that come with the phone. On my Mi 10 Ultra it has worked fine but on the Mi 11 Ultra something did not work as expected when I tried to install the Global rom zip file from the phone.

Now I'm stuck with a phone that:
1) Can not be switched off
2) Does not show a filesystem when connected to a computer

When I try step 3 in the first enumeration of your description I get the following response from the system:
"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash recovery C:\recovery.img
target reported max download size of 805306368 bytes
sending 'recovery' (196608 KB)...
OKAY [ 4.560s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: (recovery_b) No such partition)
finished. total time: 4.579s
"

I do not have a clue of how to proceed with this (the new guide here on the site is very good but I can not use it when I can not copy files to my phone and I do not want to throw it away but I'm stuck). I don't know if it's bricked? At least there are SOME kind of communication when I try the commands above.

BR

Hi Robin,
The problem which I had after trying the update with twrp has exhausted me, I tried all proposed solutions without any result, I have stuck in fastboot mode, but finally one of the senior developers proposed me a contact from Russia, and indeed he solved my problem remotely against 25 Euro, if you like I can give you the link to contact him, he is good and he knows for sure how to solve your problem.

Hi, Was it hard to get his help? How did you pay? I would prefer to fins some other way then opening up my computer for someone I do not know but I guess there might not be any other way so I will be happy with the link.

Glad that your phone is working now!

BR
/Erik

Hi, Was it hard to get his help? How did you pay? I would prefer to fins some other way then opening up my computer for someone I do not know but I guess there might not be any other way so I will be happy with the link.

Glad that your phone is working now!

BR
/Erik
Hi Erik,
my problem has been solved without any problem, i pay with PayPal 25 Euro and the guy is very serious, the link to him is:
https://t.me/*spam*paid*service*
you can trust him for sure and i think he is capable to solve your problem, get in touch with him and report please.
BR
Riad

only some questions because in your questions there are not so many details. Did you do this things:

- unlocked the bootloader
- installed the USB drivers (Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
- enabled the developer mode
- enabled Usb debugging from the developer options
- copied the twrp-image file into the path from "adb and fastboot" folder
- is the filename from twrp-image the same as in your command line (fastboot boot TWRP-IMAGE-FILENAME)
- checked with "fastboot devices" if your phone is recognized (in fastboot mode)
- checked with "adb devices" if your phone is recognized (phone is up and running)

And DONT do this: fastboot flash recovery C:\recovery.img
Do this: fastboot boot twrp.img

If you can answer all questions with "yes" then it should be no challenge to install twrp and the xiaomi.eu rom

PS: You can spend me 20,00 Euro-> you have saved 5 Euro :cool:

Short explanation:

Devices with A/B partition scheme don't have a recovery partition so you cant "flash recovery twrp.img"
You can only boot in recovery mode with "fastboot boot twrp.img"

To permanently flash recovery to A/B devices, you need to unpack both boot.img (A/B) from device
Replace the ramdisk with the one extracted from twrp.img and repack then flash boot.imgs back to device ...

Last edited:
Reactions: tusenkonstnar
only some questions because in your questions there are not so many details. Did you do this things:

- unlocked the bootloader
- installed the USB drivers (Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
- enabled the developer mode
- enabled Usb debugging from the developer options
- copied the twrp-image file into the path from "adb and fastboot" folder
- is the filename from twrp-image the same as in your command line (fastboot boot TWRP-IMAGE-FILENAME)
- checked with "fastboot devices" if your phone is recognized (in fastboot mode)
- checked with "adb devices" if your phone is recognized (phone is up and running)

And DONT do this: fastboot flash recovery C:\recovery.img
Do this: fastboot boot twrp.img

If you can answer all questions with "yes" then it should be no challenge to install twrp and the xiaomi.eu rom

PS: You can spend me 20,00 Euro-> you have saved 5 Euro :cool:

Short explanation:

Devices with A/B partition scheme don't have a recovery partition so you cant "flash recovery twrp.img"
You can only boot in recovery mode with "fastboot boot twrp.img"

To permanently flash recovery to A/B devices, you need to unpack both boot.img (A/B) from device
Replace the ramdisk with the one extracted from twrp.img and repack then flash boot.imgs back to device ...

First: Thanks for a very exhaustive and serious answer and I'm sorry about being unclear about the details in my first question. I also appreciate your explanation at the end. Although it (obviously) was many years since I wrote code mysefl I'm still interested in learning things.

Out of the 8 questions:
1-5: Definitely: "Yes"
6: I think yes but can not swear on it
7: Yes: Command prompt returns
"5392ed16
fastboot"
8: Do not know but I guess the last part means that phone is up and running? Comand promt returns:
"List of devices attached
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully"

Among the things I DO have tried is the part you have written in red, starting with "DONT...."

I will now try the instruction in green first and see it that works for me and if it does I think I need to better understand the next step in "undoing the ****up and install TWRP as in this thread https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/guide-install-twrp-for-mi-11-pro-ultra.61239/ )

P.S I would seriously be happy to transfer some euro as a thanks for a solution.

fastboot boot twrp.img from command line resulted in the following:

"
OKAY [ 4.323s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Load Error)
finished. total time: 4.377s
"

Any idea of what that meand and how I can try to get around it (if possible).

BR/Erik

fastboot boot twrp.img from command line resulted in the following:

"
OKAY [ 4.323s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Load Error)
finished. total time: 4.377s
"

Hi, I dont know what you did before ... so I can only give you some hints:
  • do you use the correct TWRP version
  • This is important: is the filename from twrp-image the same as in your command line (fastboot boot TWRP-IMAGE-FILENAME)
  • copy TWRP-IMAGE-FILE to "c:\adb" (e.g. c:\adb is your adb install directory)
  • rename TWRP-IMAGE-FILE to twrp.img
  • List the files from "c:\adb" folder here, so that we can see if you did it :)
  • cd "c:\adb"
  • fastboot boot twrp.img
  • if the issue still occurs -> Use another usb port 2.0
  • try to flash an older fastboot rom version

Last edited:
Hi! @tusenkonstnar The exact same thing happened to me on my Mi 9T.... If your TWRP does not work, then try flash the original imagefile for your rom, then reinstall TWRP onto the phone again via fastboot. When you are in fastboot check if your phone is available in windows file explorer. If it is, then you can copy the file into the phone directly through file explorer. This worked for me anyhow. when i got into the recovery the directories were all messed up and randomly. And nothing was right according to a normal system directory. If you were able to copy the files between computer and the phone, then go into recovery SD-card even though it is no sd card in phone... this is where the media is stored at least it was on my mi 9T

My problem was that the phone did not connect to ADB after it was stuck, and i could therefor only flash via fastboot commands.

I have also mentioned it earlier, but try out orangefox recovery, this has never failed me so far, meanwhile TWRP has been a issue for me ages ago when i rooted a device from HTC (when they were "good" ;))

Hi! @tusenkonstnar The exact same thing happened to me on my Mi 9T.... If your TWRP does not work, then try flash the original imagefile for your rom, then reinstall TWRP onto the phone again via fastboot. When you are in fastboot check if your phone is available in windows file explorer. If it is, then you can copy the file into the phone directly through file explorer. This worked for me anyhow. when i got into the recovery the directories were all messed up and randomly. And nothing was right according to a normal system directory. If you were able to copy the files between computer and the phone, then go into recovery SD-card even though it is no sd card in phone... this is where the media is stored at least it was on my mi 9T

My problem was that the phone did not connect to ADB after it was stuck, and i could therefor only flash via fastboot commands.

I have also mentioned it earlier, but try out orangefox recovery, this has never failed me so far, meanwhile TWRP has been a issue for me ages ago when i rooted a device from HTC (when they were "good" ;))

He can access his phone with adb and fastboot as he described. Sometimes it will help if you flash the original rom with miflash as you described. I think the issue is 20cm in front of the PC :) we will see if he will answer…

Hi, I dont know what you did before ... so I can only give you some hints:
  • do you use the correct TWRP version
  • This is important: is the filename from twrp-image the same as in your command line (fastboot boot TWRP-IMAGE-FILENAME)
  • copy TWRP-IMAGE-FILE to "c:\adb" (e.g. c:\adb is your adb install directory)
  • rename TWRP-IMAGE-FILE to twrp.img
  • List the files from "c:\adb" folder here, so that we can see if you did it :)
  • cd "c:\adb"
  • fastboot boot twrp.img
  • if the issue still occurs -> Use another usb port 2.0
  • try to flash an older fastboot rom version
I'm using the TWRP- version linked to in this guide https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/guide-install-twrp-for-mi-11-pro-ultra.61239/ (Mi11Ultra(Pro)-twrp3.5.1-recovery-21.5.9-decrypted) which I have renamed to twrp.img an put in the same folder as the "Minimal ADB and fastboot"-directory.

Attached is the screenshot from my adb-folder.
Attached is also the result of writing "fastbbot boot twrp.img" which is exactly the same thing as I did with the exactly same file when I wrote post 13 in this thread. I tried it several times and also both switched USB-port and restarted the phone and computer several times but kept getting the message "FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Load Error) " every time.
Now it worked as can be seen in one of the screenshots.

I will read this thread again and see if I can find what to do to be able to actually get the phone to show up in the file system of the computer so I can proceed.

Attachments

• Dir.jpg
    Dir.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Fastboot boot twrp.img.jpg
    Fastboot boot twrp.img.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 272
So now the fastboot boot twrp.img command worked but I still can not see the filesystem in the phone when connecting it to the compnuter in fastboot mode and I can not switch the phone of either (I can but it restarts itself emediately).
I have downloaded the following ROM (to my computer) xiaomi.eu_multi_MI11Pro_MI11Ultra_V12.5.7.0.RKACNXM_v12-11

From what can see both in this thread and elsewhere I should try to start by installing the original chinese firmware that the phone come with first?

XiaoMiTool V2 is said to support this operation and I can find "Star" in the list of phones but if I try that way the process fails at "flashing super" (attached pictures).

If I instead download MiTool 20200314 I get errors when trying to install the drivers and the links for help results in the familiar error 404.

Attachments

• Flashing star 2021-06-07 074125.jpg
    Flashing star 2021-06-07 074125.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Flashing star 2021-06-07 080623.jpg
    Flashing star 2021-06-07 080623.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 235
Did exactly the samething agin and now it started in TWPR "mode" AND is visible in from my computer. I do not get why same input gives different result here. The only difference is that in between I have tried to use "XiaoMiTool V2" (and that didn't even work).

Now I have put the xiaomi.eu stable formware in the phone and I can boot it in both fastboot and TWRP-mode.

Anyway, without your input Caterpanne it would not have worked. Thanks a lot!

Last edited: