Tried to edit /system/data/packages.xml and now all apps are gone!

eXtremeDevil

Members
Jun 13, 2020
What the title says. I had an app that was uninstalled but still had traces on that file. I edited it very carefully and put it back on the phone. I rebooted and all the apps were gone. I quickly restored a backup of the file but I didn't make any difference. Any help on this? I'm really that doomed? I had heavy modification and starting from scratch would kill me.

I have the feeling that the phone has booted another user space or something like that as I can't see anything on data/app, or maybe the first space has been deleted for good...

I have a Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro with xiaomi.eu 20-6-18 [MIUI 12.1]

Thanks in advance!

EDIT
I have the feeling that the phone has booted another user space or something like that as I can't see anything on data/app, or maybe the first space has been deleted for good...

EDIT 2
Yes, on /data/user folder I used to have 0 and 999 folder and now I have 0, 10 and 999 folder. Can the phone boot with the primary user somehow?

EDIT 3

Hmm, maybe folder "10" was there before but now it's encripted, and I think that's my data right there, any way to get it back? Folder 999 is decrypted, the other way around I would guess.

EDIT 4

When I restore the /system/data/packages.xml file and reboot, for a moment I can see on the home screen the dual apps, as if I were booting with the second user. The next time I reboot, packages.xml is rewritten by the system and I can no longer see the dual apps. If that info helps.

Last edited: