What are people rooting their devices for?

carbro123

Members
Oct 11, 2021
Hi All,

I am a fanboy of Android for many many years, but recently switched to Apple and though it was okay, I decided to go back to Android. Used to be on Samsung devices but decided to give Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra a try, so here I am...
I currently got an update this morning for 12.5.7, so installed it, but still the MIUI is not my favorite. I do like the extra control of things vs Samsungs OneUI, but still it is quite buggy, which essentially makes the experience not all that great.

I am thinking of installing the EU rom later today and possibly rooting with Magisk, but just wanted to know what folks are using root for now a days? What are the benefits? I remember a few years back, people used to root to get Viper audio to work, but thats the benefit of rooting now?

Please let me know what the reason is why you root and whats the benefit as of now. Feel free to message me direct if its some "unethical" reason lol

First of all, congratulations on the Mi 11 Ultra. As for MIUI, I wonder what are your problems? In the stable versions everything is just as stable as with OneUI, for example. As far as the functionality of MIUI is concerned, it is on par with OneUI, as I think. Now for the root. Yes, it used to be done mainly for the sound. Completely overrated in my opinion. What is much more interesting, however, is that the system can be more easily adapted to suit your needs. However, this is paid for with possible instability. And not just at MIUI. Personally, I've given up rooting. The weekly ROM is enough for me, which brings many things from MIUI earlier. Due weekly is stable and my banking apps are running smoothly. What could I want more.

Mi 11

Personally speaking I root for debloating, using terminal with root permissions, and youtube Vanced.

Debloating is also possible without root via ADB. Likewise vanced. Root mostly kills safetynet.

Mi 11

As far as I know using ADB for debloating is not the same, but yeah. Using vanced with ADB never heard of it

What exactly should be the difference between debloating with root and ADB?
One thing is certain. In both cases, the app is no longer available to the user. If you want to go the safe way, debloat via ADB.
As for vanced, I've made a mistake

Mi 11

Honestly I don't use banking apps so I don't care much either having unlocked bootloader and root

Completely okay. However, anyone who claims that debloating is only possible with root is not telling the whole truth.

Mi 11

Hi All,

I am a fanboy of Android for many many years, but recently switched to Apple and though it was okay, I decided to go back to Android. Used to be on Samsung devices but decided to give Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra a try, so here I am...
I currently got an update this morning for 12.5.7, so installed it, but still the MIUI is not my favorite. I do like the extra control of things vs Samsungs OneUI, but still it is quite buggy, which essentially makes the experience not all that great.

I am thinking of installing the EU rom later today and possibly rooting with Magisk, but just wanted to know what folks are using root for now a days? What are the benefits? I remember a few years back, people used to root to get Viper audio to work, but thats the benefit of rooting now?

Please let me know what the reason is why you root and whats the benefit as of now. Feel free to message me direct if its some "unethical" reason lol
To me there are some very limited benefits to rooting. While there used to be major tweaks avaiableusing custom roms vs stock roms, today there isn't. The main reason that I use the Xiaomi.eu rom vs stock rom is that it offers all the features in the China (stock) rom, many of which are not in the g;obal rom as yet, plus it has Google services baked in. It also comes with many other featuers, nut there is almost no reason to root anymore.

Reactions: LOLO9393
i'm using mi 11 ultra rooted with magisk.
personal reason for choosing to root:
1. adaway
2. vanced patching native
3, WA Tweaker requiring LSposed
4. titanium backup, easier backup and restore of apps and data

while adaway and vanced can be done without rooting, it think the rooted method is better.
like for example in vanced, it's completely replacing the official youtube app, so directly opening any youtube link on the phone is possible.
for adaway, without root, it's using VPN mode, which not good cos i'm also using the VPN for other things.

but having said that. more and more apps (baking, govt) are behaving strangely because of the rooted state :(
some refuse to open etc etc.
so i'm now quite confused whether to remove the root or not..

Last edited:
Reactions: biscoot
i'm using mi 11 ultra rooted with magisk.
personal reason for choosing to root:
1. adaway
2. vanced patching native
3, WA Tweaker requiring LSposed
4. titanium backup, easier backup and restore of apps and data

while adaway and vanced can be done without rooting, it think the rooted method is better.
like for example in vanced, it's completely replacing the official youtube app, so directly opening any youtube link on the phone is possible.
for adaway, without root, it's using VPN mode, which not good cos i'm also using the VPN for other things.

but having said that. more and more apps (baking, govt) are behaving strangely because of the rooted state :(
some refuse to open etc etc.
so i'm now quite confused whether to remove the root or not..
For me, ihave chosen not to root and use Xiaomi.eu rom. It offers many of the features I used to get from rooting, plus my banking app works. Yes, I see more adds, but its not too bad and VPN can, of course, still be used.

Reactions: LOLO9393