Why Xiaomi/MIUI ?

kcorrea1

Members
Mar 23, 2023
Just curious to know from the devs/experienced users/members -

Why the love for Xiaomi / MIUI compared to other Chinese phone brands ?

I started my smartphone journey from:

iPhone 3GS > Blackberry 9720 (I believe) > Samsung Galaxy S3 > LG G3 > iPhone 7 Plus > Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra

Where I resided before (in the Middle East), Xiaomi was much popular among the Chinese phones like Oppo, Vivo etc. They had more models out and reasonably priced.

My parents usually buy budget phones so they had Xiaomi + my internet router was Xiaomi. So it made it easy for me to get on the Xiaomi eco-system. Plus, international warranty or so is the claim from Xiaomi. Plus I had Xiaomi ear phones and BT earphones.

When choosing the Mi 11 Ultra, the OnePlus was quite tempting. And now we have the Nothing phone, realme, IQOO as well.

I was aware about xiaomi.eu then but it wasn't a reason for me to go in for a Xiaomi phone. I just wanted root and wasn't looking to flash a custom ROM. I had experimented enough with the Galaxy S3 and all the custom ROMs and tbh was sick and tired of all/any AOSP Roms.

If I could get a quick small concise answer or bullet points from the devs or any experienced members/users, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

--
Sent from my Mi 11 Ultra (star)

No love. My phone (Mi 11i) simply had the best hardware for that money (299 € on 2021). I knew MIUI was s**t but fortunately Xiaomi.eu improves it a little bit.

Reactions: kcorrea1
Why Xiaomi?
1) Because in the beginning it was the best device in terms of price/performance ratio
2) Once upon a time, MIUI was the best UI in android (currently no longer true)
3) There was an instant option to officially unlock the bootloader
4) Great custom ROM support
5) And now some of us stay with Xiaomi out of nostalgia and because we enjoy tinkering with SW. :cool:

Why Xiaomi?
1) Because in the beginning it was the best device in terms of price/performance ratio
2) Once upon a time, MIUI was the best UI in android (currently no longer true)
3) There was an instant option to officially unlock the bootloader
4) Great custom ROM support
5) And now some of us stay with Xiaomi out of nostalgia and because we enjoy tinkering with SW. :cool:
Yeah the price factor was one of the main reasons for me too.

Like you said... Price/Performance + Hardware!

Which would you say is real good (the best) if not MIUI ?

And what are the reasons ?

Quick fixes?
Lesser bugs ?
Performance ?

--

Nostalgia yeah, and also trust and lineage.

MIUI has been around for a very long time, before Xiaomi even existed. It was a custom ROM that provided a complete experience, often better than stock ROM's or CyanogenMod. It has hacker/kanger roots, was originally a non commercial product, and since it was built by modifying stock ROM's via PatchROM it was easy to port and modify for other devices. For example, some of the work I did ten years ago:

Today, MIUI just has the most useful features of any stock device IMO. Except for maybe Samsung or iPhone, but they're twice the price. For me, it's just a case of knowing that I'll get good performance, a decent ROM, and a good price. The hardware lasts and usually has very few issues.

Last edited:
Nostalgia yeah, and also trust and lineage.

MIUI has been around for a very long time, before Xiaomi even existed. It was a custom ROM that provided a complete experience, often better than stock ROM's or CyanogenMod. It has hacker/kanger roots, was originally a non commercial product, and since it was built by modifying stock ROM's via PatchROM it was easy to port and modify for other devices. For example, some of the work I did ten years ago:

Today, MIUI just has the most useful features of any stock device IMO. Except for maybe Samsung or iPhone, but they're twice the price. For me, it's just a case of knowing that I'll get good performance, a decent ROM, and a good price. The hardware lasts and usually has very few issues.
Oh dang !

Ty for your contribution/s and feedback. Much appreciated

--

Garbage low end global only or not is still a Xiaomi product full of bugs that weren't there in the first place, only got added in the subsequent updates. I registered just to complain, yes, because the software quality has gone downhill due to poor development. Perhaps you are angered because you are one of the devs responsible of this? Your attitude explains a lot, by the way.
Unhelpful, rude and disrespectful to both te product and the customer.

How is that the fault of @Igor Eisberg or other XEU devs ??

You gotta think abt their responsibility and commitment .... Not to mention the time put in and the FOC (free of cost) service to the community.

Support isn't an easy task...
It's guys like you who make things difficult for other patient and understanding members !!!

If you test well, include logcats and report bugs properly... they will def consider and try to fix it if they possibly can.

You gonna help fix it otherwise ?
More so, can you get Xiaomi to fix it ?
Why don't you throw your weight on the official Xiaomi forum.

You want to rant abt the bugs/MIUI, dare you to go to Xiaomis forum and get a reply even...

With all due respect, I didn't want to jump in on this but your attitude sucks!!

You were only good till your first comment. Your 2nd comment didn't sink in well.

Your issue should be with official Xiaomi and not with the devs here3

--

Your issue should be with official Xiaomi and not with the devs here
Every once in a while, a new clown comes in, doesn't do his homework (i.e. first makes sure he's even in the correct forum) and spews his perceived privilege here, reporting me for being "rude to a customer". Hah! A "customer" who doesn't know what the official website of his chosen brand is.

Note: it's every person's responsibility to do the "due diligence" steps of checking where and to whom he's talking to. Not my fault that he made a complete fool of himself.

Every once in a while, a new clown comes in, doesn't do his homework (i.e. first makes sure he's even in the correct forum) and spews his perceived privilege here, reporting me for being "rude to a customer". Hah! A "customer" who doesn't know what the official website of his chosen brand is.

Note: it's every person's responsibility to do the "due diligence" steps of checking where and to whom he's talking to. Not my fault that he made a complete fool of himself.
Doesn't 'customer' almost everytime mean 'one who has paid for a service' ??
Who is paying/has paid for something here?
Just a thought!

Doesn't 'customer' almost everytime mean 'one who has paid for a service' ??
Who is paying/has paid for something here?
just a thought!
Exactly my thought. Apparently, I'm "rude" for not whitewashing the truth that Redmi Note 8T is an actual trash low-RAM device (with cut features due to that), something an actual Xiaomi employee is likely to do.

You can't call a spade a spade these days.
You have to be politically correct (disguise the truth), gender neutral and respect at least 100 genders. :emoji_joy::emoji_joy:
You identify as a monkey...?
Chimp?
Says your profile picture.

Respect !

Smart mammals !!!

--

Was wondering why @gogocar62 mentioned skeletal Cthulhu, till I saw it was you sir!

I won't ask but I'll Google 'skeletal Cthulhu' in a bit ! Glad to know!

Am I good or not to assume that a very few would know who that is?!

Sorry for the off topic but I'm the OP here mister !!!

Hahaha

--

Mainly those who know who H. P. Lovecraft was.
'entrance to the Dungeon' says a lot.

Anywhos good conversation !
Thanks for the ROM !
64a13336f4c58bf3ce154289765b78ba.jpg

--

Reactions: Igor Eisberg
What a massive off topic discussion that - nevertheless - was fun to read

Послато са SM-N985F помоћу Тапатока