New Xiaomi Mi 9T - YouTube HDR has extremely darkened colors

gestetech

Members
Nov 9, 2019
I am using the MIUI 11 Android 10 weekly dev build and I've been having this very strange bug that hasn't happened on the stock 9.0 ROM. On YouTube (I haven't tested this on other apps) HDR content has EXTREMELY dark colors. For example, when minimizing an HDR video, I can notice the colors on all of the thumbnails to be noticeably darker than before. When I close the video, the colors switch back to normal. I know this isn't normal, because colors can go so dark that I don't even know what I'm looking at. I could be looking at a forest and it's black. Also, in Austin Evan's iPhone X review that was in HDR, the colors were a lot brighter than they are now, not to mention I could actually see details unlike now. I'm hoping this bug will be fixed sometime soon.

here are some images

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-08-22-59-10-653_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-11-08-22-59-10-653_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 608
  • Screenshot_2019-11-08-22-59-20-774_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-11-08-22-59-20-774_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 534
  • Screenshot_2019-11-08-22-59-40-094_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-11-08-22-59-40-094_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 581
The images all seem normal, but believe me, the second and third screenshots were significantly darker on my screen, because they had HDR enabled. The screenshots look normal because I guess I can't take HDR screenshots.

We're not YouTube support crew, we don't know the works behind the app.
Not only youtube but for me netflix hdr content is incredibly dark too something wrong about hdr playback not about youtube app or netflix app on stock global works as it should but on two latest betas (im only using since) hdr content is unwatchable.

It's dark for me too, only putting brightness to 100% is clear ( but in the dark, white is too bright ).

Inviato dal mio Redmi K20 utilizzando Tapatalk

In the end there is something wrong with hdr playback in general i hope devs will notice this too.

I flashed a weekly dev ROM today, and the issue persists. I really like this ROM, as it is bloat-free. However, this issue is really annoying, and there seems to be evidence that this may be a system-wide issue, as people are having issues with Netflix as well. I have a theory to why this issue is occuring. When HDR playback occurs, the phone may be changing the colorspace. What's really weird is that when the phone rotates, the colors of the video turn back to normal for a split second, and then it goes back. I'm trying to be as respectful as possible to the developers, but please fix this issue. Notice us senpai!

Reactions: gstef and adakaya