Can't upgrade Poco F3 from 13.0.9

xiaonoob

Members
Apr 8, 2022
I've been using a Poco F3 with 13.0.9.0(SKHCNXM) for some time and now I'm giving the device to somebody else. Since they are going to wipe it, I thought I could try installing the latest xiaomi.eu_multi_HMK40_POCOF3_V14.0.8.0.TKHCNXM_v14-13.zip. The app updater inside the device does not work, when I touch update it simply crashes, so it's either update through TWRP or PC with cable.

The TWRP is around 3.6.x so I figured I'd update it to twrp-3.7.1_12-0-alioth-TeamWin.img. But When I put the device in fastboot mode, instead of the bunny logo I get the TWRP screen saying it's in fastboot mode. When I try to boot to this version I get:

Code:
$ fastboot boot twrp-3.7.1_12-0-alioth-TeamWin.img
Sending 'boot.img' (196608 KB)                     FAILED (remote: 'Download is not allowed on locked devices')
fastboot: error: Command failed

This is really weird, because I wouldn't have been able to install eu rom if the device was locked. I don't see any option in TWRP to _unlock_ device. If I try to use the installation script from the rom I get similar messages about not being able to download files and nothing happens.

How did I manage to lock my unlocked device? When the device boots I see the unlocked icon, and all the ADB/debugging options are on. I don't mind leaving the device frozen in time and just use the OS wipe function, but it's weird.

Ok, figured this out. The problem was that I was booting into "fastboot" with the command "adb reboot fastboot", which would open twrp in presumed fastboot mode.

This is wrong, I needed to power off and power on with volume down pressed for the real fastbooot to appear, which on the poco f3 is a boring orange "Fastboot" text in the middle of the screen.