New MIUI 14 download manager app messing up Gmail and Google Drive

chris29888

Members
Jan 28, 2024
I have a Redmit Note 13 Pro+ running MIUI 14 Global 14.0.4 (imported the phone from China). The system's Download app (version 123.03.16.800004) can't download any attachments in my main Gmail account. When I click on "download", it shows the "downloading" notification for a splitsecond before it disappears. Clicking the attachment directly (in the case of a JPG) shows a blank screen and a flashing loading bar that never finishes loading.

Google Drive immediately crashes when I download something. The file will still be on my phone, but the app will go down in the process.
The Google Podcasts app has a similar issue. Downloading a podcast shows the "Downloading..." notification which goes up to about 65%, then disappears. Within the Podcasts app, the episode then appears under "Downloaded episodes" while still showing the available download button below the episode title. Clicking that creates a dark overlay over the screen where nothing happens and I can only click "cancel" at the bottom. If I go into my phone's file explorer, I can find the downloaded episodes in the app's folder under something like "Ongoing downloads" where they appear fully functional with the entire content available offline.

I've done 3 factory resets which didn't help at all. Tried downloading other Downloader APKs with slightly newer version numbers, however, I can't get my phone to accept them as the new download managers. If I disable my buggy stock downloader app and install one of the APKs, Google Drive will show a popup saying "Please enable Download Manager to download this file". I've scoured the internet for people with similar issues across various operating systems and none of their solutions helped (like disconnecting and reconnecting the Google account from the entire phone over and over again, clearing caches, uninstalling updates, deleting databases etc.)

One oddity I've noticed with most Google apps is when going to MIUI's app info screen, there is the option "Connection method" where all the non-Google apps have the two options "WLAN" and "Mobile data". However, for apps like Gmail, Podcasts, Maps, Drive etc., it only displays the option "Mobile data", while "WLAN" doesn't even show up.

Is there anything I can do? It's really annoying and obviously no one is responding to my bug reports via the built-in report feature. This is a new phone and I'm already considering selling it because these are essential features that simply appear broken with none of the suggested solutions doing anything.

edit: Sorry, forgot to say hi! Not sure if this is a classic forum-community type of thing or basically just a Xiaomi news board. My name is Chris, I'm 35 and I live in Germany. This is my first Xiaomi phone after previously using a Motorla Moto G6+ for a couple of years and a Google Nexus before that.