Having trouble unlocking BL on Redmi Note 8

mi_user

Members
May 2, 2024
Hi everyone. I'm struggling with unlocking my Redmi Note 8 as I said in the title. I logged on to my Mi account and attempted to "add account and device", initially failed as it was requesting a SIM card. So I inserted the SIM card of the phone I am currently using to add the account, there were no problems there. I then powered the device to Fastboot, used Mi Unlock(version 6.55.xxxxx) and got the 168 hour timer. After that, I powered the device off and removed the SIM card. The timer ran out recently and I tried unlocking the phone, but the unlock tool is telling me "This device has been activated for less than 7 days. Please activate it for 7 days before trying to unlock it again" after getting to 99%.

I indeed wasn't actively using the phone during the 7 day wait, it was literally entirely powered off for the duration, I only powered it on to fastboot once to check the progress, which was ticking along the message was something like "please wait 41 hours" matching how many hours had passed. My Mi account is also 7 years old so I don't think that is the problem. Heading here also reveals my device is genuine.

I don't really understand what the issue is. Some people were suggesting that you need to be in mobile data for at least 7 days. I had the phone at launch so it's almost been 5 years with 4 of those years being active use, the phone was never factory reset either so there's no way I haven't been on cell data for longer than 7 days. Someone was also saying something like activating your SIM card on Xiaomi Cloud/your Mi account, I'm going to try that now but I'm not very hopeful as the solution seems to have worked for.. practically nobody. If that doesn't work I will try factory resetting and using a fresh Mi account. So while I wait, has anyone encountered this error and fixed it?

1714672591234.png

Last edited: