[20.12.28] Mi 9 - Screen turns off and on during video

dogiex

Finnish language.Translator
Aug 24, 2015
Device: Mi 9 (cepheus)
Rom: 20.12.28 (dirty flashed over previous)

Problem: When I start watching a YouTube video and previously in about 10-15 minutes of watching my screen starts to act weirdly. Screen turns off by itself and turns back on continuously. Touch becomes very laggy and can't stop it. Same happened once during a Google Duo video call.

Little correction: When the screen turns off it locks the screen also and when it turns back on it will be on lock screen and it will stay on for 1-2 seconds and turns off again. If I manually turn the screen off with power button, it will stay off but will continue the problem when I turn on the screen again.

Update #1: Happened again when I received WhatsApp notification with sound. Screen turns on, notification sound, screen off, screen on, notification sound, screen off...

Temporary fix: Force restart fixes the problem for now until next time.

Anyone else faced the problem?

Last edited:
Have the MI9 myself and with the firmware from 12.28. and Android 11 this does not happen with my phone. Are you using your browser or the YouTube App when looking the videos?

Have the MI9 myself and with the firmware from 12.28. and Android 11 this does not happen with my phone. Are you using your browser or the YouTube App when looking the videos?
Using YouTube app. Same happened with Google Duo video calls also.

I will try to disable full screen gestures and use navigation buttons if that is the problem.

I have the same problem on Mi9. But not only while watching a video.
Could it be a font problem? After switching to mint flames I had the problem. With font robot I didn't have it.

I have the same problem on Mi9. But not only while watching a video.
Could it be a font problem? After switching to mint flames I had the problem. With font robot I didn't have it.
I have default font in use.
Do you have full screen gesture enabled?

I started to diagnose with navigation buttons enabled. Currently no problems so far. Watched many YT videos also.

Full screen gestures are enabled.
Ok never mind. It just happened again after receiving WhatsApp notification with sound then it started to repeat itself screen off, screen on and notification sound so on so forth.
So navigation buttons didn't work.

Did you fresh install or dirty flash?

Did you fresh install or dirty flash?
I did a dirty flash of the *.zip file with TWRP.

Actually I am testing already for 1.5 hours video on YouTube with Google Chrome (a chess tournament) and have absolutely no problems.

I have also full gestures and dark mode enabled but have switched off all power saving options.

Reactions: dogiex
Let's see how it goes. I flashed it again. Hope it helps. Next try will be factory reset.

Let's see how it goes. I flashed it again. Hope it helps. Next try will be factory reset.
First impressions rom is faster and smoother now. I have high hopes that it fixed the problem.

Not sure where the problem was but after couple of days I haven't had this problem anymore. Weird. Maybe some app did this that I uninstalled.