Invalid (9.8.15 RN5) The ability to assign sound to SMS

ABTOP

Members
May 19, 2019
Why is it not possible to choose a sound on SMS? Make it possible to separately assign sound to SMS and notification.

Why is it not possible to choose a sound on SMS? Make it possible to separately assign sound to SMS and notification.
You can set any sound you want to any app... For SMS it's the sound for Messaging app.
Long-press Messaging app icon -> App info -> Notifications -> Messages -> Sound.

Does not work. Or rather, it works, but does not, at the same time.
I set it exactly as you said, first SMS I get, it comes with the default notification sound and the setting goes back to default.
Did it again and again and again.
So to put it simply, nope, does not work.

Does not work. Or rather, it works, but does not, at the same time.
I set it exactly as you said, first SMS I get, it comes with the default notification sound and the setting goes back to default.
Did it again and again and again.
So to put it simply, nope, does not work.
Are you able to "Uninstall updates" for the Messaging app?

I did that, I tried all the version of the SMS app, neither of them actually want to save the notification sound setting.
At least on my Mi 9.

I did that, I tried all the version of the SMS app, neither of them actually want to save the notification sound setting.
At least on my Mi 9.
"I tried all the version of the SMS app" - you're not supposed to try any version, other than the one preincluded on the ROM. We're patching the APK to allow the sound to be changed without it being reset to default by the app itself (Xiaomi's bad design choice).
You're supposed to use the preinstalled app only, and never update any system apps.

Obviously, I tried that at first, the version that comes with the ROM, that did not save the incoming message sound, so I tried all the versions from the APK Mirror, the same with all.
The same thing does not happen in Global Beta 9.6.27, the latest available from Xiaomi, and yes, I know that one has the setting in the settings menu, but I also tried the method with the App info and changing it from there, same thing, setting is not saved and first SMS that arrives reverts the setting back to default.
So at least we know that.

Obviously, I tried that at first, the version that comes with the ROM, that did not save the incoming message sound, so I tried all the versions from the APK Mirror, the same with all.
The same thing does not happen in Global Beta 9.6.27, the latest available from Xiaomi, and yes, I know that one has the setting in the settings menu, but I also tried the method with the App info and changing it from there, same thing, setting is not saved and first SMS that arrives reverts the setting back to default.
So at least we know that.
You can't compare to Global ROM. Like I said, we handle the SMS sound differently. On Global ROM, sure, it's not saved if changed via App info, and yes we know why, and it's patched on our ROMs. In fact, I'm using a custom SMS sound as we speak, so I can't reproduce the issue. The SMS app we're using is the same one we used for several releases already.

Well, I tried since 9.8.1 and I get the same result, not working as described above.
I presume the option to set the incoming message notification sound is not present on the China ROM, as it is on the Global ROM.

Well, I tried since 9.8.1 and I get the same result, not working as described above.
I presume the option to set the incoming message notification sound is not present on the China ROM, as it is on the Global ROM.
Actually, it's exactly the same on China ROM and Global ROM. We handle it differently. SMS sound is just an app notification sound, nothing special that needs a setting. And if you use a different SMS app, your SMS sounds wouldn't apply to it anyways.

Well, just a suggestion, but for those like me and the OP, who just use the default SMS app, perhaps that setting should be left there, because as it seems, for some the other way simply does not work.
I honestly spent about 2 full days just on this cumulated on all ROM versions since 9.8.1, flashing, reflashing, format, clean, dirty, different SMS app versions, everything I could think of, nothing worked for me.