A law passed in China caused bootloader unlocking to be blocked.

PawelJ

Members
Jul 22, 2022
Hello. Short information. The main reason for Xiaomi's introduction of the bootloader unlock lock is a new law passed at the end of last year that comes into force now. Namely, every phone manufacturer has to include spy things in its software that send, among others, a list of apps that the Chinese uses for government servers and other things from the phone. So manufacturers make it impossible to unlock the bootloader.

It's not impossible to unlock the bootloader though... I mean on the Xiaomi 14/14 Pro it's still very much possible. Just much harder for users that import the phones from China.

I actually didn't find the law OP mentioned, but found a regulation that may prevent unlocking bootloader https://www.gov.cn/zhengce/zhengceku/2022-12/15/content_5732079.htm

The title is "Notice on Further Regulating the Pre-installation Behavior of Mobile Smart Terminal Application Software" by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Cyberspace Administration of China.

I think Item 5 of this regulation is the key point. Here is a translation by ChatGPT.

"Manufacturing enterprises should improve the permission management mechanism of mobile smart terminals, enhance the security of the operating system, and take technical and managerial measures to prevent the replacement of operating systems and the installation of application software during the product distribution process."

Last edited:
Reactions: Spookie
what more proof do you need? haven't you step foot in china and experience the great firewall censorship yet? They can even disconnect you in game if you play over 2 hours!!! You think modded VPN works in China! No it won't work!!! So be very very careful of CN ROM!

I actually didn't find the law OP mentioned, but found a regulation that may prevent unlocking bootloader https://www.gov.cn/zhengce/zhengceku/2022-12/15/content_5732079.htm

The title is "Notice on Further Regulating the Pre-installation Behavior of Mobile Smart Terminal Application Software" by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, Cyberspace Administration of China.

I think Item 5 of this regulation is the key point. Here is a translation by ChatGPT.

"Manufacturing enterprises should improve the permission management mechanism of mobile smart terminals, enhance the security of the operating system, and take technical and managerial measures to prevent the replacement of operating systems and the installation of application software during the product distribution process."
Article 5 is designed to prevent malicious refunds by mobile phone buyers, as purchasing electronic products through online platforms such as "JD" or "Taobao" in China allows for a 7-day unconditional return or a 15-day return/exchange for quality issues.
The key point here is "substitution occurring in the circulation process.(流通环节发生置换)"
I used GPT to translate Chinese into English. I am from China.:D

Currently, there are two methods to unlock the bootloader for Xiaomi devices in China:
1. Unlocking through the Xiaomi community (mainly by answering questions and reaching level 5 in the community. The image shows the conditions for unlocking the bootloader through the Xiaomi community).
2. Paying internal repair personnel for the service.
I have already unlocked the bootloader for my newly purchased Redmi K70.
The picture shows the requirements for unlocking the Xiaomi community.

Attachments

• QQ图片20231206144048.jpg
    QQ图片20231206144048.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 279
Last edited by a moderator: