Any Former Mi5 User That Bought Mi5s (nonplus)?

tndb

Members
Dec 13, 2013
Im interested in your opinion about the camera, do you notice big difference in quality or is it meh?
Saw some camera review and that seemed to show that the camera wasnt impressive at all but that might be due to very early software or some other reason.

Ps. Im NOT interested in opinions of the "mi5s plus" since that one uses totally different camera setup and is also a bigger phone (which im not interesed in either)

Thanks! :)

I am considering buying the Mi5s but it seems the grey version is either sold out or not yet available. Now I see that the Mi5 has actually a better camera I might even buy the Mi5.

sensor lacks OIS which is a big tradeoff, if you're into video or low light pictures get the Mi 5. If you're into daylight pictures get the Mi 5S but it's not worth the upgrade in my opinion.

@GoldenBoy Thats the impression ive got aswell but wanted to hear from others that made the switch, did you personally grab the mi5s? I already have the mi5 and will prob not swap it now since the developer support is gaining more traction but got interested in mi5s new fp scanner and slight upgrade of battery and cpu/mem/storage and "supposedly" better camera :)

I have the mi5s the camera is good despite not having OIS however u can't put OIS to such big sensor, not possible for now.
The camera needs more software optimizations but daylight photos are even better than my lg g4 camera, the sensor is doing great job, but now i gotta move to EU rom, since on my vacation now till tomorrow i can upload some samples i took.

Lack of OIS doesn't put it in the shadows

Reactions: tndb
I have the mi5s the camera is good despite not having OIS however u can't put OIS to such big sensor, not possible for now.
The camera needs more software optimizations but daylight photos are even better than my lg g4 camera, the sensor is doing great job, but now i gotta move to EU rom, since on my vacation now till tomorrow i can upload some samples i took.

Lack of OIS doesn't put it in the shadows
Google Pixel has the same sensor as the Mi 5S and better software optimization.
It gets killed by the Samsung Galaxy S7 in terms of video and low light performance, it's kinda a bit useless to have such a big sensor if you can't keep it open, the Galaxy S7 gets a longer shutter speed and because of that has better low light performance.
The lack of OIS also sucks in video, even the Pixel has the jello effect that is worse than no stabilization in my opinion.

I was just taking the Pixel instead of the Mi 5S since the Pixel has a much better software optimization, the sensor really shines in photos in decent light. But it isn't as good as other sensors in anything else unless you use a gimball. Someone really should make a review with a gimball, I think the results will be awesome.

Google Pixel has the same sensor as the Mi 5S and better software optimization.
It gets killed by the Samsung Galaxy S7 in terms of video and low light performance, it's kinda a bit useless to have such a big sensor if you can't keep it open, the Galaxy S7 gets a longer shutter speed and because of that has better low light performance.
The lack of OIS also sucks in video, even the Pixel has the jello effect that is worse than no stabilization in my opinion.

I was just taking the Pixel instead of the Mi 5S since the Pixel has a much better software optimization, the sensor really shines in photos in decent light. But it isn't as good as other sensors in anything else unless you use a gimball. Someone really should make a review with a gimball, I think the results will be awesome.

Of course it will get killed cause it has an apperture of 2.0 whilst the S7 has 1.7
Which means better low light performance

My G4 roasts my Xiaomi mi5s in camera performance but everything else is just what i needed as an update .
(Sometimes the mi5s takes better pics under daylight, better accuracy in color than the g4)
My g4 has 700mb free ram out of 3gb
808 is hungry for battery barely lasts 4h on screen time
Have h815 with official bootloader unlock and still cannot unlock it cause it is SEA device
The phone lags like hell in multi tasking, gets hot to that point where i cannot hold it anymore.

If you want a good performance in low light with the camera then don't choose budget devices, go for the ones where u will spend more than you should or do the wisest choice, buy a freaking DSLR and never complain about photos.

And yes, xiaomi has to work on it's camera software, it isn't optimized

Last edited:
he tenido los dos, y de momento me gustaba más la cámara del mi5. El lector de huellas es más lento y pierdes el infrarrojo, no merece la pena el cambio por un poco más de velocidad de proceso.

Enviado desde mi MI 5s mediante Tapatalk