New Apps periodically loose mobile data access [MI8 9.5.9/9.5.17]

Stoffl

Members
Dec 13, 2018
Issue:
When leaving/loosing wifi connection - like when moving out of wifi range - and the device should switch to mobile data connection specific apps will sometimes get internet access.
4g connection is fine, internet access generally is fine but specific apps like whatsapp, google maps etc show no connection. This spefific app won't get internet access until you either switch mobile data network mode, turn mobile data off/on or toggle airplane mode off / on.
This has been happening for me at least since 9.5.9 - possibly longer. Multiple people have confirmed the issue in previous release threads.

See also here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/9-5-16-17.50554/post-487626
And here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/9-5-16-17.50554/post-487635
And here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/9-5-9.50450/page-21#post-486861

Reactions: migueli2
I assume you have all looked into the settings in

Settings/WLAN/Additional Settings

WLAN assistant
WLAN speed mode

There are also some interesting settings in Developer:

Aggressive WLAN to mobile handover
Mobile data always activated

(I have not tried these.)

I do not have any similar problems in my Mi Note 2 running eu 9.5.9.
It moves quite often between wifi and mobile data at home - big garden with poor wifi coverage.

I have this issue mi8, can't isolate if all data or just certain apps are affected also I can't recreate either it as its random and the WiFi at work is many mesh sites so I'm in and out of WiFi all day.
Are you saying leave mobile data always activated in those developer settings? I wouldn't want to do that in case some other random side effect occurs which is possible with miui!

I assume you have all looked into the settings in

Settings/WLAN/Additional Settings

WLAN assistant
WLAN speed mode

There are also some interesting settings in Developer:

Aggressive WLAN to mobile handover
Mobile data always activated

(I have not tried these.)

I do not have any similar problems in my Mi Note 2 running eu 9.5.9.
It moves quite often between wifi and mobile data at home - big garden with poor wifi coverage.

Hi,

Yes - wlan assistant and wlan speed mode are both disabled.

I've reverted back to 9.3.14 since this is my daily driver so I can't check those settings in developer settings but thanks for pointing them out. :)
Maybe someone else can give it a try ?

Remembered another setting hidden away in the Security app.

Open Security app, then go in i settings (little wheel upper right) and check:

Battery optimization/turn off mobile data when device is locked

Remembered another setting hidden away in the Security app.

Open Security app, then go in i settings (little wheel upper right) and check:

Battery optimization/turn off mobile data when device is locked
Both settings in there are disabled.

Me too MI8 - 9.5.17 (and 9.5.9).

Many apps won't get internet access through 4G mobile network, even signal indicator seems okay.

I just noticed something odd relative to IPv4/IPv6.

I have been testing two Swedish operators Telia & Tele2.
Tele2 provides a IPv6 connection, Telia does not.

When I switch a device connected via WiFi only from a hotspot without IPv6 (Telia) to one with IPv6 (Tele2), it will show as connected, but some apps will not have internet access.
This seems to happen every time.

To get it to work I have to muck around with it, turn wifi on and off, reconnect several times, etc.
Not sure what exactly is required.

Of course it might be other problem related to Tele2, but I don't think so - everything else is the same in the hotspots and works fine otherwise.

So if someone understands the IPv4/IPv6 differences better than I do, you might have a look at it, if possibly something similar is causing your problems.

Reactions: qbert
Confirming on Mi9

Looks like an http issue as apps like telegram will continue to work but you cannot open Google from the browser in example

After updating to 9.5.30 I was not able to reproduce this issue any more. Problem seems to be solved.

The same issue on Mi9 9.6.13 - Apps like Google Maps, Messenger, Outlook show no internet access but chrome load pages flawlessly.

Reactions: SopiMan
Confirming in Poco F1 Stable 10.3.5, WiFi nor data turns on when turned off, you have to reboot phone to fix.