AX3000 as Mesh AP (no router) behind my own router

MatteoDubai

Members
Jul 9, 2023
Hello.

I looked the threads but I could not find anything similar, so I would like to post the question: I have currently a router based on DDWRT, however, the wifi is not covering all the house.
I received an AX3000 as present and I would like to implement this configuration:
- DDWRT router as main router (disabling the Wi-Fi).
- AX3000 as Mesh AP, having the master node connected to the DDWRT via Lan cable (on lan port, not wan) and placed in the same room of the DDWRT router. All other nodes to be connected to the AX3000 main node via wifi as a normal mesh network.

Basically I would like to use the Mesh to bring the Xiaomi created wifi across the house and the DDWRT router as main router (keeping the wifi from the DDWRT disabled). Is it feasible? Which configuration I shall use on the AX3000?

Last edited:
Reactions: zellot06 and Alexbo
Hello, how did that strategy go?
I am thinking of getting the AX3000 to also create a mesh AP. Connected to my main router.
Did you have any problems? Did the configuration go well as you intended?
I hope this option worked for you.
Would appreciate if you could advise.
Thanks.

Yes, it is possible. My home network work that way. Network from Mikrotik router goes to Lan port of AX3000. First You need to disable DHCP and put new local IP address for AX3000 e.g. 192.168.88.250 (Mikrotik default LAN IP is 192.168.88.1). Then connect AX3000 LAN port to LAN of your router. When reboot You will get access to your router AX3000 trough LAN. Second mash client will pick up all data from first after reboot. That method is called back-to-back or LAN to LAN.

Yes, it is possible. My home network work that way. Network from Mikrotik router goes to Lan port of AX3000. First You need to disable DHCP and put new local IP address for AX3000 e.g. 192.168.88.250 (Mikrotik default LAN IP is 192.168.88.1). Then connect AX3000 LAN port to LAN of your router. When reboot You will get access to your router AX3000 trough LAN. Second mash client will pick up all data from first after reboot. That method is called back-to-back or LAN to LAN.
Hi, I had same problem to configure the AX3000 like an AP in LAN to LAN , disabling DHCP and putting the IP address manually with one of the same subnet of my provider router it works but the xiaomi app cant' work anymore in this configuration. It say "Router Offline". see attached pic.
I don't understand why they aren't intended for use as simple access points ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-06 182225.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 182225.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 104
Hi, sorry for late response.
That is OK. Mine too show that is no internet. In case back to back connection, both routers are like wireless switch (HUB) and Xiaomi complains that there is no connection from internet. Internet will be routed from main router via LAN ports to WiFi.

xiaomi.png