Backup and Restore between Weekly and Stable

RudeYute

Members
Oct 8, 2011
Due to the stopping of weekly updates for the Mi 11 Ultra, I need to move back to stable for updates. I know I need to wipe (unless anyone has had success without?), but could someone confirm if backing up from Weekly using the built in backup tool, and restoring to Stable works without any issues?

Thanks

Stay for Weekly ROM. Upgrade to Stable ROM when Stable with android 14 is released. Then you can upgrade without data loss. ;)

Stay for Weekly ROM. Upgrade to Stable ROM when Stable with android 14 is released. Then you can upgrade without data loss. ;)
Do you know when Android 14 will be released (Xiaomi.eu version I mean, of course)? The main reason for me moving to Weekly, and now back to stable was to ensure I get regular security updates. If I am waiting months for Android 14, then it defeats what i'm trying to do.

Seperately, I was under the impression the reason we need to wipe is because of partitioning differing between the two - is that not the case?

Yes. If you install Stable ROM now, you need to do "Format Data". It is considered a downgrade. Stable ROM vs Weekly version out of date, often up to 6 months. months.

When will the ROM with android 14 be released, I don't know the answer.

Last edited:
Yes. If you install Stable ROM now, you need to do "Format Data". It is considered a downgrade. Stable ROM vs Weekly version out of date, often up to 6 months. months.

Android 14 / HyperOS likely won't help. Xiaomi are making it more difficult to unlock bootloaders on new fw.

I have the same problem.
I have a Mi 11 Pro with one of the latest weekly ROMs and I want to switch to stable due to the GPay security issue. I can't pay anymore.
But I also don't want to lose data especially of the banking apps etc.
Backup with TWRP, Xiaomi backup or backup with Android Studio SDK can't save all app settings?

For reference, this was a disaster. Can't restore SMS and call history from the backup. Most other apps restored seem to force close.

What tool did you use ? Included "Backup and restore" one - local backup , or cloud backup ? I am in the same situation ( Mi11 with the latest weekly still ) and still thinking on how to do it , swift backup with root and saved data for apps , included "backup and restore' local backup with app data , xiaomi cloud backup do not worked for me previous times , so this is not an option , I have many settings, banking app , wear os watch connected , and if I had to re-do all of the settings again will be nightmare and lots of wasted time, not to mention that probably will have to reset the watch too , witch will also need setup again for everything , very bad luck switched from stable to weekly just because of a bug that happened in 14.0.9 and to fix it ... and after a week 14.0.10 popup , but I was already switched to weekly, now with the google play integrity changes and gpay stopped working and no more weekly for mi11 , got in a very bad luck situation

Reactions: Dhala
What tool did you use ? Included "Backup and restore" one - local backup , or cloud backup ? I am in the same situation ( Mi11 with the latest weekly still ) and still thinking on how to do it , swift backup with root and saved data for apps , included "backup and restore' local backup with app data , xiaomi cloud backup do not worked for me previous times , so this is not an option , I have many settings, banking app , wear os watch connected , and if I had to re-do all of the settings again will be nightmare and lots of wasted time, not to mention that probably will have to reset the watch too , witch will also need setup again for everything , very bad luck switched from stable to weekly just because of a bug that happened in 14.0.9 and to fix it ... and after a week 14.0.10 popup , but I was already switched to weekly, now with the google play integrity changes and gpay stopped working and no more weekly for mi11 , got in a very bad luck situation
I give up GPAY for now. Waiting for next stable release and switch from weekly rom.

Probably me too , will wait for next stable release ( hoping it's upgrade than the latest and final weekly ) , my watch gpay is working correctly, so changed to pay with it for now , as phone reset to switch back weekly->stable will mess it too and have to setup there everything again , bad luck Brian situation

p.s: just tested some time around with pif versions , it's working every 2nd time on check , but 1st attestation request is always fail , so for now hoping for stable ver 14.0.11 :D before hyperos , but that's a long shot , if twrp full nandroid backups were working too , would be more free mind to test things and check cases , but this is also not working/reliable

Probably me too , will wait for next stable release ( hoping it's upgrade than the latest and final weekly ) , my watch gpay is working correctly, so changed to pay with it for now , as phone reset to switch back weekly->stable will mess it too and have to setup there everything again , bad luck Brian situation

p.s: just tested some time around with pif versions , it's working every 2nd time on check , but 1st attestation request is always fail , so for now hoping for stable ver 14.0.11 :D before hyperos , but that's a long shot , if twrp full nandroid backups were working too , would be more free mind to test things and check cases , but this is also not working/reliable
Next version should be hyperos. Reference stable release time before, maybe in Jan.2024.

Is there a way to tell whether it's a downgrade or not? Is it based on security update month?