Invalid Battery drain with MIUI 11

Mr.freezer

Members
Apr 3, 2019
Hello guys.. since I have upgraded my Mi9 to MIUI11 I have really bad battery life. I have 79% of battery and after 8 hours 10%...without touching the phone, wifi, data, gps off... Battery saving mode on... I have tried ultra saving mode, but 20% of battery was not enough for 8 hours of sleep...

I agree - on my Mi 9T pro "raphael" I also have a really bad battery life. It may be Android 10, it may be MIUI 11, I don't know, but the fact is, I never (even without using the phone at all) achieve less than 3% battery use per hour. All settings (e.g. autostart, AOD, battery optimization etc) have been checked and adjusted to reduce the battery use as much as possible, and it did help: from >5% per hour, to 3.x% per hour. So, some improvement, but WAY to little.
I have also installed Greenify and Naptime to see whether they can help, but they don't do a lot on my device. For comparison, I have a Blackview BV9600, and with the same optimizations it has around 0.2% battery use per hour, and even with quite some use I get almost 3 days out of the battery (standby without use is 10 days or slightly more, reminding me of the Nokia days back in the early 2000s).

So, what's the problem? I have a few observations, which may explain it in parts, but there is - unfortunately - nothing we can do as users (even root users):

1. MIUI does not care about "start in the background" permission. You can revoke the permission for apps, but they do start in the background anyway. It works for many apps, but not for all, totally inconsistently. One app where it just doesn't work at all is Tripadvisor, just to give one example. It has always been like this, as long as I can remember MIUI. Well, at least consequently, this setting is not even present anymore in MIUI11 on Android 10...
2. In MIUI, doze does not work properly. Even when the device is in deep doze, it is active in the background a lot. As per Google design, the device should briefly wake up for maintenance intervals, but MIUI devices are much more active than they should (compared to other brand devices such as the BV9600 mentioned above).
3. I have used BetterBatteryStats to identify apps that cause excessive wakelocks, and disabled or uninstalled apps that I don't really need, but this still doesn't give a strong boost to battery life.
4. The only (but very efficient!) way to reduce the massive battery use is a "night mode" that I made myself as an automated task (GPS, WLAN, Bluetooth, Sync: off, Airplane mode: on). With these settings, energy consumption goes down to 0.3% per hour or so, thus saving 90% of battery! I have tried to find out which of my settings cause these massive battery saving I am observing, but haven't yet found out what it is. I keep investigating, but it takes quite a while to see the potential effect, and during the day I cannot switch off these things just for trying out things... If others here can add own experiences, we'd find out more quickly.

I agree - on my Mi 9T pro "raphael" I also have a really bad battery life. It may be Android 10, it may be MIUI 11, I don't know, but the fact is, I never (even without using the phone at all) achieve less than 3% battery use per hour. All settings (e.g. autostart, AOD, battery optimization etc) have been checked and adjusted to reduce the battery use as much as possible, and it did help: from >5% per hour, to 3.x% per hour. So, some improvement, but WAY to little.
I have also installed Greenify and Naptime to see whether they can help, but they don't do a lot on my device. For comparison, I have a Blackview BV9600, and with the same optimizations it has around 0.2% battery use per hour, and even with quite some use I get almost 3 days out of the battery (standby without use is 10 days or slightly more, reminding me of the Nokia days back in the early 2000s).

So, what's the problem? I have a few observations, which may explain it in parts, but there is - unfortunately - nothing we can do as users (even root users):

1. MIUI does not care about "start in the background" permission. You can revoke the permission for apps, but they do start in the background anyway. It works for many apps, but not for all, totally inconsistently. One app where it just doesn't work at all is Tripadvisor, just to give one example. It has always been like this, as long as I can remember MIUI. Well, at least consequently, this setting is not even present anymore in MIUI11 on Android 10...
2. In MIUI, doze does not work properly. Even when the device is in deep doze, it is active in the background a lot. As per Google design, the device should briefly wake up for maintenance intervals, but MIUI devices are much more active than they should (compared to other brand devices such as the BV9600 mentioned above).
3. I have used BetterBatteryStats to identify apps that cause excessive wakelocks, and disabled or uninstalled apps that I don't really need, but this still doesn't give a strong boost to battery life.
4. The only (but very efficient!) way to reduce the massive battery use is a "night mode" that I made myself as an automated task (GPS, WLAN, Bluetooth, Sync: off, Airplane mode: on). With these settings, energy consumption goes down to 0.3% per hour or so, thus saving 90% of battery! I have tried to find out which of my settings cause these massive battery saving I am observing, but haven't yet found out what it is. I keep investigating, but it takes quite a while to see the potential effect, and during the day I cannot switch off these things just for trying out things... If others here can add own experiences, we'd find out more quickly.
I think you should switch to pixel experience rom. MIUI really not optimization battery

Gửi từ MI 8 SE của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

Tonight 100% at 22:00... 42% at 08:00... I dont know what to do...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-12-07-41-15-314_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-11-12-07-41-15-314_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 3,656
Tonight 100% at 22:00... 42% at 08:00... I dont know what to do...

It's not that bad on my device any more, I have (after many optimizations I had made) between 3.5% and 4% per hour, while your's is around 5.8% per hour from the numbers you wrote (similar to what I had in the beginning). One thing you can optimize for sure is to switch off the ambient display (AOD); the other thing is to check that only the really necessary apps are in autostart (even though MIUI doesn't do a good job is observing these permissions - or the lack of). You can also try to install Greenify and see if it helps.

All apps are disabled in autostart... Ambient display is off when in power saving.mode... I have just turned off A- gps and high accuracy location.. will see if it helps

Try disabling google high accuracy location in location settings. and check again

This doesn't help, and in fact the opposite is supposed to be the case: high accuracy uses other means to determine the location, rather than GPS of the device that consumes lots of battery. For me there is no difference with either setting, as long as I don't actively use location based services.

I can only agree
Since updated to MIUI 11 I struggle with battery drain on my Mi8
Already put nearly all programs from the Autostart in background but still, it is eating up the battery

Agps turned off, higher accuracy location services turned off... wifi, gps, data, ambient display turned off.. battery save mode on... I am desparate now

Agps turned off, higher accuracy location services turned off... wifi, gps, data, ambient display turned off.. battery save mode on... I am desparate nowView attachment 27091
I see you forced the reception to Edge mode. It is better to let the phone select the better mode in pulling auto reception.
You really have a problem with the reception.
Check airplane mode for confirmation.

I see you forced the reception to Edge mode. It is better to let the phone select the better mode in pulling auto reception.
You really have a problem with the reception.
Check airplane mode for confirmation.
No... I have not forced reception to edge mode... I am just in location with edge signal only

I reported the battery issue several times in different threads concerning the latest MIUI versions. Unfortunately I did not get any answer from either any of users or Devs themselves. For me is a real deal breaker that is why I am still on MIUI 10 and Android 9.
In my case the main battery sucker was Google play services which were sucking almost 40% of battery in total usage when device was on.
It looks like problem still persists in each MIUI 11 and Android 10 rom version so far.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

But it is interesting that ambient display and screen sucked just 67mah... Where is the rest of battery?

But it is interesting that ambient display and screen sucked just 67mah... Where is the rest of battery?
please, try to move to another rom release, stock or eu as you want. Because all what you get, what you show us is not normal.