Battery performance difference between Android 9/10 - MIUI 10/11/12

limb0ist

Members
Jul 27, 2019
I am actively and deliberately using Android 9, Miui 10 (EU ROM 9.9.1). I have tried the final MIUI11/And 9 for 3 days and spent half a day with the latest MIUI 12 update. I can easily say that the battery lasts much, much longer in Android 9 compared to 10. I don't mean by an hour or two. I mean more than 4 hours. Let me elaborate:
I am a teacher that gets up and unplugs his phone at 8 am in the morning. I use Bluetooth and Wifi/Mobile data all the time. I actively use my phone (Mi 9) during the day as we use some apps to draw in the students during our teaching. During recess time, I listen to music, watch video or browse social media. I leave work at 5 PM and be at home around 6. I go to bed at 11-12 PM. During the entire day, I never and repeat, never plug in my phone to charge. At the end of the day, I always get somewhere between 0-20% of battery life. Mind you, I never charge and ACTIVELY use my phone for about 13-16 hours.
Now I have updated once again to MIUI 11/Android 9 (I rolled back previously due to inconsistent bluetooth connection and battery drain). I wake up at 10 AM since we do remote teaching. I teach for 2 hours and finish at 12:30 PM. Around 2-3 PM I already hit 50% on my phone. I am not joking. By 5 PM I am already at 30-45%. The phone is literally losing percentage while it is locked and on the table. The moments I use it are nowhere near as demanding as I was in the school couple of months back. I gave MIUI 12 a try. Although the look and design almost got me to stay at that version, the battery performance is far more appealing. I have no idea what is so wrong with Android 10 or what was so good with Android 9. I wouldn't mind losing 1 hour of battery life but I am talking about 3-4 hours of battery life. I didn't carry my charger with me when I went outside. I rarely used my car charger even when I used GPS. But good lord, I charged my phone today AT HOME without even leaving my HOME.

Anybody else witnessing the same thing?

Reactions: Zezebro
I am actively and deliberately using Android 9, Miui 10 (EU ROM 9.9.1). I have tried the final MIUI11/And 9 for 3 days and spent half a day with the latest MIUI 12 update. I can easily say that the battery lasts much, much longer in Android 9 compared to 10. I don't mean by an hour or two. I mean more than 4 hours. Let me elaborate:
I am a teacher that gets up and unplugs his phone at 8 am in the morning. I use Bluetooth and Wifi/Mobile data all the time. I actively use my phone (Mi 9) during the day as we use some apps to draw in the students during our teaching. During recess time, I listen to music, watch video or browse social media. I leave work at 5 PM and be at home around 6. I go to bed at 11-12 PM. During the entire day, I never and repeat, never plug in my phone to charge. At the end of the day, I always get somewhere between 0-20% of battery life. Mind you, I never charge and ACTIVELY use my phone for about 13-16 hours.
Now I have updated once again to MIUI 11/Android 9 (I rolled back previously due to inconsistent bluetooth connection and battery drain). I wake up at 10 AM since we do remote teaching. I teach for 2 hours and finish at 12:30 PM. Around 2-3 PM I already hit 50% on my phone. I am not joking. By 5 PM I am already at 30-45%. The phone is literally losing percentage while it is locked and on the table. The moments I use it are nowhere near as demanding as I was in the school couple of months back. I gave MIUI 12 a try. Although the look and design almost got me to stay at that version, the battery performance is far more appealing. I have no idea what is so wrong with Android 10 or what was so good with Android 9. I wouldn't mind losing 1 hour of battery life but I am talking about 3-4 hours of battery life. I didn't carry my charger with me when I went outside. I rarely used my car charger even when I used GPS. But good lord, I charged my phone today AT HOME without even leaving my HOME.

Anybody else witnessing the same thing?
It's been a known issue ever since Android 10 was released. I can say the same. I used to have around 6-8 SoT on my Mi 9 SE on Android 9, but ever since I upgraded to 10, my SoT decreased to 3-4h.
The performance is good on Android 10, but the battery life sure took a tumble.

And I should add, that it's not only an issue on these Betas, as it also happens on the Global stable or EEA ROM. I guess that's just the way it is.

Reactions: limb0ist