(Battery saving tweak) Force 2 cores online

paulrlz

Members
Nov 23, 2013
Hi to all,
im here to share my own research to achieve the best battery life with mi2s.
I m not a gamer, so i think that 4 cores for whatsapp\facebook\sms\tapatalk are too much for me, and consumes too battery. So I looked for a way to disable 2 o them, in order to save battery.
Little Story:
The first problem was the mpdecision (an old hated friend from nexus 4 times), that prevet you to shut down cores or set min\max frequencies or governors for the last 3 cores. I dont like the way that this hotplug work in this case, so i found a method to disable it:

In a terminal emulator type:

su
stop mpdecision

UPDATE

Permanently shutdow founded:

go with your preferred explorer to:
system\bin and rename the file called MpDecison to wathever you like. Reboot and now you can set up your preferred build.
Also download the attached script, extract it and copy ot "system\etc\init.d" folder. Give it the correct permission "rw-r-r" and reboot. Alternative method is to use script manager to run the script to boot.
Open script manager, tap to the script (extract it in sdcard) and tap to the skull icon and boot.

Huarray! Enemy killed...until you turn your screen off..then it will resurrect..this setting wont stick, so you cant turn off 2 cores of 4, BUT, now you can set your desidered cpu frequencies and governor for each core, and this will stick (Es: 2 cores 384/1.7 ghz ondemand, and 2 cores to 384/384mhz powersave)!

For cpu settings i suggest Kernel Tuner, that can set freq\governor for each core.

EDIT:

With the new method for disable mpdecison, you can set your preferred numbers of cores on just with kernel tuner.

Btw, you can use also this:

The true helper, Smokin1337 (works in not all roms, if don t work for you look at the method explained up)

Regarding the clue part of the story, i found in xda forum the program that resolved my problem!
CPU Control!
Source
Download
you need to download the beta1 wich support quadcore snapdragon!
Flash it from cwm.
Its simple to use:
Download a terminal emulator from play store, then type:
su
cpu
type 13 then enter
type 1 then enter
Reboot and enjoy!

for other tweaks, simply follow the on screen guide!
I ve made a small script also to do this, but dont know if it works.. so try at your own risk.
I suggest to use greenery+deepsleep battery saver pro for the longest battery performance!

Deep sleep settings:
5 min 30sec
Thanks to all, sorry for my bad english, i hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• stop mpdecision.zip
    205 bytes · Views: 562
  • Screenshot_2014-01-09-21-25-42.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-09-21-25-42.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 716
  • Screenshot_2014-01-09-21-26-21.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-09-21-26-21.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Thanks for this information.
After doing this process how is performance?
Also can you maybe describe how you're battery life is vs before?

I tried the tweak above. Seems an amazing mod but I'm not sure that it is working though

I set
CPU 0 MAX: 1242, Governor on demand
CPU 1 MAX: 1242, Governor on demand
CPU 2 MAX: 384, Governor powersave
CPU 3 MAX: 384, Governor powersave

after exiting terminal, if you run kernel tuner, no changes seems to have happened.

Should I stop mpdecision even after flashing the cpu editor?

you give root permission first?
Su
CPU?
If yes then reboot. Disable all others cpu controlling app
Btw use Usemon to see if you are in dual core mode, and the cpu control app say to you if the settings are applied
sorry for my bad English

Inviato dal mio MI 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

To letsfifa, I m able with this mod to use mokee is 4.2 with my heavy usage for 12hours with 4h of screen on! See screenshot in battery life trhead :)

hmmmm I didn't reboot. Ι thought that settings after reboot will be lost, not applied... :p

After reboot, usemon claims that cpu2 and cpu 3 are indeed off.

So, please add it to OP

EDIT: I am a heavy user too, so i will post my results for RC6 release

Fixed the first post. Remember to use greneefy ad deep spleep battery saver for the best result :)

Nice find, Paul!

I haven't tried it yet, and may not any time soon since I'm pretty content with my phone's performance currently and don't want to mess with it, but does this tweak apply to all 3 modes, i.e. Powersaving, Normal, Performance? Or is there a way to restrict it to just Powersaving or Normal so that we can have Performance Mode make full use of all 4-cores at maximum capacity when needed?

On CM 11 probably don't work for me. I tried to delete mpdecision (if it can be stopped, it can be deleted to, or not?) but it didn't helped.... Still max. freq. by CPU0 on all cores... But governor can be setted on each one.

Actually after using this for 24 hours, I realized that cores are not actually off (except when they are not needed).

Though, if you do not reboot you can set their max freq at 384.

So CPU Control seems to do pretty much the same as the Kernel Tuner, but through teminal.

Hmm, it seems like it is working. I changed CPU1,2,3 to 384MHz and interactive on all and now they are offline. Fine.
I still have mpdecision deleted.
Usemon:
savypeza.jpg

//I'll made some guide on miui.cz probably.

For me perfectly working on mokee os 4.4.2 last release, with improved battery life (with not so heavy use)
ebagu7ap.jpg

na6y7a8u.jpg

ubyzugah.jpg

Heh... I made guide on miui.cz as I said. Because most of users was sceptic about this, a did a test.
"
Tested AnTuTu Tester - Battery test on custom ROM CyanogenMod 11 (4.4.2)

4 active/turned on threads
Governor interactive on all
Max frequencies on all 1728 Mhz
Min frequencies on all 384 Mhz
"The Battery test score: 378"
Time from 100% to 19%: 126 minutes

1 active/turned on thread
Governor interactive
Max frequencie 1728 Mhz
Min frequencie 384 Mhz
"The Battery test score: 405"
Time from 100% to 19%: 136 minutes

Saved time: 10 minutes
Saved time %: 7,9%
Increased score: 27
Increased score %: 7,1%

While tests I kept phone in same situation.
This is not so good result but this test is not so objective. If anyone can do one on MiUi, please post here results.

Maybe my testing technique was bad. But, I cannot made daly use test, because I don't use my phone regularly.
Here are screenshots from AnTuTu Tester:
aja9u3ud.jpg
qudyvuqa.jpg

8% with a simple script is good, considering that in real life battery, there will be much more battery saved :)
Btw, for me its working , now you can flash redmaner kernel in miui stock\wiui\4.1 stock and you will have eco mode and intelliplug, that is better than this mod :)

Inviato dal mio MI 2S utilizzando Tapatalk

Yes, it can be ~8% on each use after battery recharge. Phone used 5 times per cycle it can be 45% at all... But this is bad math I think :D.

btw i dont think its only 8%. I can use mokee os 4.4.2 last relase and reach 14/15h with ~4 hours screen on time, and its awesome!

i cant make cpu snapdragon quadcore tweak work in my Mi2S...
help me...
in terminal emulator it says cpu path not found after flashing that zip file & rebooting...
any help bro ?

Hi manohar, try the new method that i ve found :) its in the first post :)