Bootloop after magisk 20.4 installation

pipout

Members
Jan 7, 2019
HI everybody.

Though, I'm not a young man passionnated by technology, it does many years that I wanted to try to root my phone: I love new technology but becomes old ;-)
As we are at home due to the COVID-19, I thougt that is was the perfect moment to try this week (I began tuesday).
As i'm a newbie, I read many tutos, pages to understand and to be "sure" not to do mistakes.
I've installed TWRP and it works fine.
I did a backup in TWRP (data, system, manufacturer, modem, EFS and boot).
The only problem, after TWRP installation, was that the smartphone never booted in recovery mode with TWRP: I always had stock root.
To have twrp recovery, I always had to use adb in fastboot.
I searched a long time and never managed to fix this.
At this moment, I wanted to install LineageOS but after many searches, I realized that there was no LineageOS rom for the Mi Max 3.
I decided to install the last issue of magisk to really rrot my phone since the TWRP doesn't root itself the phone.
I installed Magisk v20.4 and troubles began.
I had a bootllop...
It does hours and hours (night and day) I spend to find a fix but without success.
Most of tutos refers to "old" issues of uninstaller or uninmod.
I think I've done many things as:
- Re-install Magisk v20.4
- Install "officiel" Magsisk V20.4 uninstaller (I got an error 1)
- Install different modules remover (I always got errors 1): uninmod_Magisk_v4
- Install Magisk Manager for Recovery v5 202004170 which is very recent (I always got error 1)
- I obviously tried to restore my backup with no success
- I read the page of katterpanne to fix the bootloop, but the mentionned tools refer to "obsolete" versions of magisk manager and uninstaller
The only zip package which didn't cause an error 1 was the magisk_module_remover of edzamber (for magisk 19 and higher) but it is a little old and surely doesn't "fit" to magisk v 20.4 and it didn't work. At least, if i reboot, TWRP warns that there is no installed OS.

I feel desperate and my knowledges are limited.
I don't know how to uninstall manually, if I don't find any suitable uninstaller/remover zip package, this magisk.
Perhaps that all I done has really uninstall/remove magisk but how can I check that ?
Haw can I check, from TWRP, if my phone is rooted ?
I suppose that I had to install a custom ROM since i've no OS but my phone seems no rooted since Magisk caused a bootloop.
Finally, if there is no suitable LineageOS for the Mi Max 3, which custom ROM can I use (MIUI 11, other feedbacks on other custom ROMS)...

I apologize for all these questions and this long topic but I hope having replies and help to fix my issue.
I can't believe thet my phone is condemned, dead...
Thanks by advance for your lights.
Best regards.

Not sure but I think the problem lies with the twrp version you are using. Magisk 20.4 work perfectly with my max 3.
Not sure what you really intend to do with your phone and what are the specs you have there, if you want to install eu rom or lineage os.... if its the former then maybe my previous query and solution provided by the one who helped me can help you.
Please read here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/need-help-flashing.54178/#post-525584
You can read the whole thread and see how I got my phone out from softbrick and I think it can help you too to clean flash your phone too.

I have also problem with install latest MAgisk 20.4. on my Mi Max3 with this comunity latest ROM.

Installation in TWRP si be performed correctly, but after booting the System, the magnager writes "Magisk is not installed". There is no module installation menu in the manager, but ROOT works. What about that?

Edit:
I solved it...

What did I do:
- used latest Magisk uninstaller
- Install latest this comunity ROM
- Install latest Magisk 20.4
- Install latest Magisk manager 7.5.1

Magisk works now.

Last edited:
HI everybody.

Though, I'm not a young man passionnated by technology, it does many years that I wanted to try to root my phone: I love new technology but becomes old ;-)
As we are at home due to the COVID-19, I thougt that is was the perfect moment to try this week (I began tuesday).
As i'm a newbie, I read many tutos, pages to understand and to be "sure" not to do mistakes.
I've installed TWRP and it works fine.
I did a backup in TWRP (data, system, manufacturer, modem, EFS and boot).
The only problem, after TWRP installation, was that the smartphone never booted in recovery mode with TWRP: I always had stock root.
To have twrp recovery, I always had to use adb in fastboot.
I searched a long time and never managed to fix this.
At this moment, I wanted to install LineageOS but after many searches, I realized that there was no LineageOS rom for the Mi Max 3.
I decided to install the last issue of magisk to really rrot my phone since the TWRP doesn't root itself the phone.
I installed Magisk v20.4 and troubles began.
I had a bootllop...
It does hours and hours (night and day) I spend to find a fix but without success.
Most of tutos refers to "old" issues of uninstaller or uninmod.
I think I've done many things as:
- Re-install Magisk v20.4
- Install "officiel" Magsisk V20.4 uninstaller (I got an error 1)
- Install different modules remover (I always got errors 1): uninmod_Magisk_v4
- Install Magisk Manager for Recovery v5 202004170 which is very recent (I always got error 1)
- I obviously tried to restore my backup with no success
- I read the page of katterpanne to fix the bootloop, but the mentionned tools refer to "obsolete" versions of magisk manager and uninstaller
The only zip package which didn't cause an error 1 was the magisk_module_remover of edzamber (for magisk 19 and higher) but it is a little old and surely doesn't "fit" to magisk v 20.4 and it didn't work. At least, if i reboot, TWRP warns that there is no installed OS.

I feel desperate and my knowledges are limited.
I don't know how to uninstall manually, if I don't find any suitable uninstaller/remover zip package, this magisk.
Perhaps that all I done has really uninstall/remove magisk but how can I check that ?
Haw can I check, from TWRP, if my phone is rooted ?
I suppose that I had to install a custom ROM since i've no OS but my phone seems no rooted since Magisk caused a bootloop.
Finally, if there is no suitable LineageOS for the Mi Max 3, which custom ROM can I use (MIUI 11, other feedbacks on other custom ROMS)...

I apologize for all these questions and this long topic but I hope having replies and help to fix my issue.
I can't believe thet my phone is condemned, dead...
Thanks by advance for your lights.
Best regards.
I got a solution,
days I searched for a way to get out of the bootloop after installing Magisk 20.4.
i tried this with my own idea
what i do:
1. After installing Magisk 20.4 in TWRP (don't reboot your device) do step 2
2. copy the boot.img file from the rom you are using (I use Evolution X) copy the boot.img file and paste it in your internal memory.
3. Flash boot.img as boot.
4. reboot to system. enjoy
and now I managed to get into the system

At your own risk (but this worked on my phone Redmi Note 8 Ginko) Costum recovery using PicthBlack Recovery

Reactions: lokustus