Bootloop after Update

Tsubaru

Members
Dec 27, 2020
Hallo everyone,
I started the update from yesterday an since this my phone is in the main menu. If I take the option for reboot then it goes to main menu. If i use connect with miassistant the computer registers a phone in the device manager but the assistant does not register the phone. Wipe data is , now, no option. I have data on the phone that are not backuped. How can I access this data (photos for most) to copy these ont my computer?
Is there an tutorial or an treath that i can use to recover my data? TWRP is not installed on my phone.Fastboot is accessable.

Thank for your help.

I testet more since my last post. I tried to use the adb connection.
My tests / My results
- used command devices / get my device with the result:
List of devices attached
fmaavgaeroob8x95 sideload

- used adb pull /system / without result
- used shell ls / error: closed

Has someone a hint for me to solve this problem?
Do i use the adb pull correctly?

I have the same issue for my son...
Do not know how to get rid of this :-(
Contacted Xiaomi SAV, need to provide IMEI to send it back to repair it from what they say, but data will be lost ...

I called today with a worker from Xiaomi in Germany. He said that they are working on a way to fix this issue without data lose. I will wait til then and try some more options.

I called today with a worker from Xiaomi in Germany. He said that they are working on a way to fix this issue without data lose. I will wait til then and try some more options.
Knocking the wood ! Please, let me know here if you have good news since, my discussion with a after sales support in France, they told to send back phone, but I am pretty sure that they will reformat it (factory reset). I will do the same if I find something.

Hello Tsubaru,
Did you get any news on your side ?
I tried a solution found on another site, but did not worked for me, I am still stuck exactly at the same point rebooting all the time in the Main Menu...
Here it is in case you want to have a try, look for post from Playmo #105 (in french but you should be able to get things with google traduction) :

Hello Chris,
I talked today with a other member from xiaomi germany. He said to try the wipeout function. If this will not be better and you stop again in main menu then you must exchange the phone by the reseller.
Its not an option for me. I try calling another xiaomi member to verifier this information.

Maybe there is an option for backing up the data with fastboot. I will google it and write my results of testing here.

Hello Chris,
I talked today with a other member from xiaomi germany. He said to try the wipeout function. If this will not be better and you stop again in main menu then you must exchange the phone by the reseller.
Its not an option for me. I try calling another xiaomi member to verifier this information.

Maybe there is an option for backing up the data with fastboot. I will google it and write my results of testing here.
Ok, thanks. Wipeout is not an option neither for my son ... If I get something I will come back here to let you know.

Reactions: Tsubaru
I tried to get installed twrp. But it failed and will not be installed on the phone. Tried it a few times.
This was my last option to recover the data on the phone. I gave up and used the wipe data as the very last option.
The phone is now usabel again.

I will use google cloud and an sdcard backup in the future for my photos.

Hello Chris,

Ok, thanks. Wipeout is not an option neither for my son ... If I get something I will come back here to let you know.
I tried to get installed twrp. But it failed and will not be installed on the phone. Tried it a few times.
This was my last option to recover the data on the phone. I gave up and used the wipe data as the very last option.
The phone is now usabel again.

I will use google cloud and an sdcard backup in the future for my photos.

Thanks for having let me know. Hard lesson to learn. I provided an old phone to my son in the meantime...

I was able to get my son's phone back to life by updating to the latest european version 12.0.4 !
For those who were awaiting like we did.

Hi there a friend of mine has her Mi9 stuck in boot loop... She see the Android icon loading with three points but nothing happen then... It is has it's stuck... For now she doesn't want to delete personal data she want to save a phone recording she had with her mum ((passed away)... It's seems I can start fastboot mode on her phone but I didn't try adb mode on pc... Do you think she can access to the phone and transfert data personal. Via adb and fastboot? Or maybe install recent update firmware and not loose her data? Please help

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_192311_copy_864x1152.jpg
    IMG_20220320_192311_copy_864x1152.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 546
Hi there a friend of mine has her Mi9 stuck in boot loop... She see the Android icon loading with three points but nothing happen then... It is has it's stuck... For now she doesn't want to delete personal data she want to save a phone recording she had with her mum ((passed away)... It's seems I can start fastboot mode on her phone but I didn't try adb mode on pc... Do you think she can access to the phone and transfert data personal. Via adb and fastboot? Or maybe install recent update firmware and not loose her data? Please help
At first I suggest to test the safe mode - perhaps you can copy the relevant files

Safe Mode
(This is not the "Recovery mode" or the "Fastboot mode" )
In case your phone shows a lot of errors and you cant handle them because there are a lot of pop up windows or you want to deinstall something from magisk as example ... try the "safe mode" only some important standard apps will be loaded:
  1. Power off your Android device and then power it on. You can also use the Reboot or Restart option.
  2. You will see the Powered by Android logo and MI logo on the boot screen, If they disappear and the Screen ist black, press and hold the Volume Down key down so long till system ist loaded
  3. The System will load and you will see a watermark... Safe mode
  4. Deinstall the app with the error / analyze the root cause of the issue and so on ...
  5. Reboot the phone to get off the "safe mode"
  6. Perhaps after loading you have to disable AirPlane Mode
Other solutions ....
- try to flash boot.img -> extract it from the actual rom zip (from xiaomi.eu website) that is installed on the phone
# fastboot flash boot boot.img
- of course you can try to install the same or newer firmware

Last edited:
Reactions: Romuald
At first I suggest to test the safe mode - perhaps you can copy the relevant files

Safe Mode
In case your phone shows a lot of errors and you cant handle them because there are a lot of pop up windows or you want to deinstall something from magisk as example ... try the "safe mode" only some important standard apps will be loaded:
  1. Power off your Android device and then power it on. You can also use the Reboot or Restart option.
  2. You will see the Powered by Android logo and MI logo on the boot screen, If they disappear and the Screen ist black, press and hold the Volume Down key down so long till system ist loaded
  4. Deinstall the app with the error / analyze the root cause of the issue and so on ...
Other solutions ....
- try to flash boot.img -> extract it from the actual rom zip (from xiaomi.eu website) that is installed on the phone
how do i extract boot.img and wich software and rom to use ?
I downloaded adb drivers for xiaomi
the link to xiaomi pc suite for mi9 is dead (link to the site "Box")...does someone have another link working with mi9?

Last edited:

Safe Mode
Other solutions ....
at point 2 : the logo Mi and the powered by android (with 3 points like downloading) are still visible...

i just tried fastboot flash boot boot.img

failed writing
sending was ok but not writing ...see on the photo

Attachments

• bootimg.jpg
    bootimg.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 149
as i said if i start on miassistant mode the phone seems to be seen on adb when i type adb device
if it is in fastboot mode adb don't see it

Attachments

• adbdevice.jpg
    adbdevice.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 139
as i said if i start on miassistant mode the phone seems to be seen on adb when i type adb device
if it is in fastboot mode adb don't see it
Your Bootloader is not unlocked - so you cant flash the boot.img

Do you have installed the Xiaomi.eu rom from this site (CustomRom) or do you have the original Rom on your device ?

If you dont have installed the CustomRom and the Bootloader is locked we cant help

Then search in Telefgram for EDL / Unbrick / MIUI Authorized Acoount guys

PS:
ADB is ADB and Fastboot is Fastboot - you cant mix it
ADB -> adb.exe devices
Fastboot -> fastboot.exe devices

Your Bootloader is not unlocked - so you cant flash the boot.img

Do you have installed the Xiaomi.eu rom from this site (CustomRom) or do you have the original Rom on your device ?

If you dont have installed the CustomRom and the Bootloader is locked we cant help

Then search in Telefgram for EDL / Unbrick / MIUI Authorized Acoount guys

PS:
ADB is ADB and Fastboot is Fastboot - you cant mix it
ADB -> adb.exe devices
Fastboot -> fastboot.exe devices
No it is the original rom installed... So nothing can be done except a swap data?