[bricked - Need Help] Xiaomi 4x 5.0"

Mixxalych

Members
Mar 28, 2016
*posted this to other thread like, not sure what is the right place for this one*

Hi guys,

I think I have bricked Xiaomi Redmi 4X 5.0''. Here is what I did:

1. Unlocked bootloader with Mi Unlock Tool (official method)
2. Used fastboot boot to boot into TWRP-santoni (3.x.x. version, downloaded on 16 Jn 2017)
3. Wiped all partitions (including system and data)
4. Cleared all cache and data
4. Entered "ADB Sideload" mode in the TWRP
5. Used cmd to adb sideload the MIUI 8.7 (santoni) 7.6.8 beta by xiaomi.eu
6. Hit "Reboot" in the TWRP once sideload and uunpacking finished

RESULT:

1. Blank black screen at all times
- No LEDs
- No fastboot
- No 'Mi' logo
- No vibration

2. When I connect it to PC, I get "Unknown USB Device (error getting device descriptor)" in the Control Panel / Device Manager.

QUESTION:
What should I do next?

SOME FURTHER INFO:
I made exaclty those steps with exactly same TWRP and ROM six weeks ago to flash another Xiaomi Redmi 4X and everything went perfect. the only difference I could think of was that the previous phone was 5.5", this one is 5.0, yet I am unsure how relevant this is to the case.

Thanks a lot for any advice you could provide.

No need to touch system partition.

That's what I gather now. I just wanted to make sure that Global ROM gets completely replaced with an EU ROM. I was keen to avoid a weird mix of Global ROM and EU ROM - this is what you sometimes get when you only clear cache while flashing the EU ROM over the Global ROM.

Provided that now the phone isn't even booting to it's logo (save the Fastboot) I am quite stuck as to what I should do to get it working.

That's what I gather now. I just wanted to make sure that Global ROM gets completely replaced with an EU ROM. I was keen to avoid a weird mix of Global ROM and EU ROM - this is what you sometimes get when you only clear cache while flashing the EU ROM over the Global ROM.

Provided that now the phone isn't even booting to it's logo (save the Fastboot) I am quite stuck as to what I should do to get it working.
When you want to flash xiaomi.eu rom, wiping data, dalvik & cache is enough. (Normal factory reset).
Have you tried to flash fastboot rom again?

Reactions: maker1611
When you want to flash xiaomi.eu rom, wiping data, dalvik & cache is enough. (Normal factory reset).
Have you tried to flash fastboot rom again?

Thank you, I will make sure I limit myself to wiping data, dalvik & cache next time.

How should I flash it now that the screen is permanently blank and black at all times:

- No fastboot mode
- No recovery mode
- No 'Mi' logo
- No vibration
- No LEDs flashing or lit

The only way I could know it's somehow alive is that my PC happens to detect it as "Unknown USB device".

Thank you, I will make sure I limit myself to wiping data, dalvik & cache next time.

How should I flash it now that the screen is permanently blank and black at all times:

- No fastboot mode
- No recovery mode
- No 'Mi' logo
- No vibration
- No LEDs flashing or lit

The only way I could know it's somehow alive is that my PC happens to detect it as "Unknown USB device".
How long did you keep pressing vol down when you tried fastboot?

How long did you keep pressing vol down when you tried fastboot?

I kept pressing it for about 30-45 seconds and still no luck.

Fastboot was coming up in 2-3 seconds before then, but now I can't seem to be able to start it.

I kept pressing it for about 30-45 seconds and still no luck.

Fastboot was coming up in 2-3 seconds before then, but now I can't seem to be able to start it.
And you tried fastboot devices in cmd with nothing?

And you tried fastboot devices in cmd with nothing?

No, I haven't tried that to be honest. I was under impression that if there's no Fastboot logo then there's no Fastboot mode active.

Thanks for a hint, will try this tonight once I get home.

What should I do if that fails? From what I understand, I would have further options of:

A. Try installing unsigned Qualcomm drivers and flashing a Chinese ROM via MiFlash.

B. If A. fails, I will need to remove back cover and force TEST POINT mode by connecting two contact points. Then I should be able to flash the same Chinese ROM via MiFlash.

Even if it works, Chinese ROM will likely lock my bootloader again and I wouldn't know what to do again.

Am I summing it all up correctly?

No, I haven't tried that to be honest. I was under impression that if there's no Fastboot logo then there's no Fastboot mode active.

Thanks for a hint, will try this tonight once I get home.

What should I do if that fails? From what I understand, I would have further options of:

A. Try installing unsigned Qualcomm drivers and flashing a Chinese ROM via MiFlash.

B. If A. fails, I will need to remove back cover and force TEST POINT mode by connecting two contact points. Then I should be able to flash the same Chinese ROM via MiFlash.

Even if it works, Chinese ROM will likely lock my bootloader again and I wouldn't know what to do again.

Am I summing it all up correctly?
If it fails, you probably need to go to your B option.
If and when that bootloader gets locked again, you can just unlock it with Mi Unlock Tool with your account and putting your devoce to fastboot mode.

I am assuming your account has bootloader unlock request done already and accepted? (The first process to do when unlocking bootloader).

I found interesting video of redmi 3s black screen, try this?:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Guide starts at 02:30

If it fails, you probably need to go to your B option.
If and when that bootloader gets locked again, you can just unlock it with Mi Unlock Tool with your account and putting your devoce to fastboot mode.

I am assuming your account has bootloader unlock request done already and accepted? (The first process to do when unlocking bootloader).

I found interesting video of redmi 3s black screen, try this?:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Guide starts at 02:30

• Yes, this is correct: my account has bootloader unlock request done and accepted. This is what enabled me to boot TWRP and then you know the rest of the story :)
  • I tried pressing two volume buttons + power button simultnaeuosly as per the guide: no luck, unfortunately.
I am very puzzled at what I have managed to do to break even fastboot functionality...

Do these phones really have no overwritable BIOS-like functionality that enable to recover them in the event of a major disaster? In my views, this phone is just a Linux PC with a different form-factor, so there must be a way to boot a "recovery CD" no matter how damaged the internal storage is. Or is it just my incorrect understanding? :)

What does device properties, details, hardware ids show to this device?

Not a lot, to be honest:

Hardware ID: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOP_FAILURE
usb.inf:392c3d53511c8796:BADDEVICE.Dev.NT:10.0.14393.0:USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE

USB\VID_1A2C&PID_3D43\7&38c3c92d&0&4
USB\VID_090C&PID_6300\AA00000000298509

Problem code: 0000002B

It just feels like it can't recognise the device and load a driver for it.

Is there any way to recover at least fastboot ?

Make sure you have enough battery.
It will be difficult if no system is in the phone.
I would suggets, just leave the phone charged for a few hours (24 maybe)
The LED won't lit, just try to charge.
If no succes, try to take out the battery and charge alternative way.

Reactions: michel68
Hey man try installing XiaoMiFlash.It automatically installs drivers for redmi 4x.I had same driver problem yesterday.

Thanks man, tried this with no luck - drivers get installed, but the phone still doesn't get detected. I guess, I will need to force the EDL via TESTPOINT. :(

Hello, in your original story I can point several unclear parts:
No Redmi 4x with 5.5 inch screen(Note 4x probably?), so you should check and double check are you really dealing with santoni which indeed is 5 inch SD435 global Redmi 4 variant device
When you say "wiped ALL partitions" what exactly do you mean? Anything else besides cache, dalvik, data, system would probably brick the phone(already mentioned that system should not be touched). If internal storage is also wiped reboot to twrp is needed before any flash as twrp files are also cleared
When you only boot to twrp the recovery is not flashed to the device, hitting reboot in twrp after sideload was supposed to reboot to system or recovery? Did you flashed the zip file? If not there was no system and no recovery.
Another thing to consider is that Redmi 4X moved to N in the beta branch but was probably on MM before, if the rom you tried to install is N based without proper firmware update this could also cause boot failure