Buying an Mi 8

Berthii

Members
Jul 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying a Xiaomi Mi 8 (or Mi 8 SE). I have been looking on Aliexpress, but I have no idea from which seller or even which product to buy... I am a total newbie in the world of Chinese smartphones. So I have a couple of questions, probably already asked, but please indulge me..

1) What is the difference between "Global version", "official global ROM", and "Multi-language ROM"? Which one should I favour?
2) Say that I buy either the "Global version" or the "official global ROM" model of the Mi 8, once the true official European version is out, can I update my phone to be a "true" EU version?
3) Say that I buy an Mi 8 SE with "Multi-language ROM", would everything works as any EU version of a Xiaomi phone?
4) If I want to install a Xiaomi.eu ROM on a Mi 8 (or SE) coming from China (or HK apparently), will it work exactly as if I had waited for the EU version to come out and installed the Xiaomi.eu ROM on that one?
->) Basically, if I buy a chinese version, being European, would there be any functionality that will not work properly?

?) I don't know if I am allowed to asked this question on this forum, but what sellers are to favour/avoid on Aliexpress if I want to buy a Xiaomi Mi 8? (or by PM..)
??) Any other advice would be very nice!

Thanks a lot,

Berthii

Last edited:
If you read up on the differences, The SE version is a smaller , less powerful phone. I think i read somewhere that Band 20 is missing on SE, you need to look up more info on that since i´m not 100 percent positive. The EE version will have almost everything the Basic Mi8 has plus more Ram, A fingerprint reader in display and a larger price tag, but, only get 128 Gigs storage.

The global version of mi8 just came out today. Its very pricey at the moment. The china version is the same hardware wise with the global. The only difference is the charger plug. Rom wise most sellers give the china version with the global rom already installed. If you want to flash the xiaomi.eu you need to unlock the bootloader if its not already unlocked by the seller's themselves. And the wait time is 15 days...

I advice you to not pick.the mi8 se cause its a phone intended for the China market. Has no global rom.and it's missing some frequenses that the European carriers ude for the signal. The multilingual rom means a hacked room that supports most languages but can never update.

For trusted sellers there is a big community on reddit /r xiaomi. Check the wiki there snd it will answer all your questions.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that the global version came out today. So what would be your advice: buy an Mi 8 with "official global ROM" now (not that expensive) or buy the global version (more expensive)? What will be the difference between the two, ROM wise? (it seems you're saying that there is none)

I am actually waiting to buy a mi 8 at the moment. One small detail i learned today that maybe interests you. The cheaper China version with global ROM comes with an unlocked bootloader from the seller. If you try to lock the bootloader with mi flash you can only do it in China ROM because the phone originated fron china. That really isn't a problem for me so i have the cheaper version in my basket waiting to complete the order.

If you buy from AliExpress i recommend goldway with DHL custom free shipping to the EU. From whoever you order when you receive the package record the box sealed and keep recording when you unseal it. That is an extra protection buying expensive stuff from china.

HK Goldway for me is bullcrap. DHL told me that most of his packages ''get lost'' en route to my country. Now I have to wait 5 days to get refunded by AliExpress as the seller says: "friend, wait please''. If you can go with TradingShenzhen

I am actually waiting to buy a mi 8 at the moment. One small detail i learned today that maybe interests you. The cheaper China version with global ROM comes with an unlocked bootloader from the seller. If you try to lock the bootloader with mi flash you can only do it in China ROM because the phone originated fron china. That really isn't a problem for me so i have the cheaper version in my basket waiting to complete the order.

What does that mean? (I have no experience with xiaomi or android..) Would this be a problem?

Unlocked bootloader means that you get admin rights in your phone. Some apps like banks, pokemon go etc dont run on phones with unlocked bootloaders. You can get past it with magisk anyway.

But people here in xiaomi.eu actually want unlocked bootloader so they can flash custom roms like the one advertised here which in my opinion is the best miui experience.

Ok so if I want to install a xiaomi.eu rom, I need the bootloader unlocked, that I understand. And you said that if I buy a chinese version with unlocked bootloader, it may be more difficult to lock it back?
What I would also like to know is whether I can install the true official global rom on the chinese version? (So that my Mi 8 would be like any other Mi 8 bought in Europe in about a month?)

Last edited: