Camera Mod?

k.edin

Members
Dec 22, 2016
Hello

I was wondering can we improve camera quality on our Redmi Pro, especialy video recording. I am very pleased with this device, except camera quality. This is not bad hardware or sensor, this is just bad software implementation and optimization. I hope that Xiaomi will improve something in future updates.
I have tried to change some settings in camera app. For best still picture quality you can set saturation and cotrast to high, and sharpness leave at medium. With this settings pictures will look more punchy and vibrant. When you put sharpnes also to high, picture look to much artificial with some artifacts.
For Video we do not have similar settings like sharpnes, saturation and contrast. It is shame that with Sony IMX258 we have such soft video recording.
I have tried to use some other camera apps, and no camera app can improve video recording quality. With Cinema FV5 you can change bittrate to 30Mbps but quality stays the same.
I noticed that in low light conditions video recording drops to 15FPS and a bitrate around 10-12Mbps with stock camera. This is awfull image quality. With *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum*, recording video in low light is better, bittrate is 17Mbps and FPS is 30. Image is a little bit darker, but much much smoother than stock camera.
I have question now. What libs and settings *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* is using for video recording? It is for sure something different from stock camera.
I Have tried to edit omega.xml in system/etc/device_features. I have copied gemini.xml, edited vendor string from qcom to mediatek, set permisions like the original file. Then I renamed original to omega.xml.old and gemini.xml to omega.xml. Rebooted and camera app worked just fine. In video modes I got audio zoom feature, and in manual picture mode unlocked everything. But there is no 4K recording, regerdless that in xml file 4k was set to 'true'.
So where are the others settings stored?
I have read something about editing lib files, shared objects *.SO files. And this is very hard to edit or do somekind of reverse enginering. Maybe someone have knowlege to do this? Or we do not need to edit lib files at all?
I am ready to test everything on my phone, so if someone have idea how can we edit camera app, *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* app, or something else to enable 4k, to improve qulity of 1080p recording, or even enable 1080p 60FPS mode.
Also I have tried to edit build.prop and add line persist.camera.HAL3.enable=1 and this will do nothing. In system lib and lib64 folder I have found files with names HAL3a.V3. I dont know is this mean something.
I am just thinking that is a shame to have very capable helio x25 and a solid sony sensor and such a mediocre image quality.
Thanks everyone in advance, and I hope that we will find some good ideas for improving our Redmi Pro :)

Reactions: asianyan
I do not know how to help you but I think it's a good idea.

Perhaps one possibility would be to extract the Camera App from the Rom of the MI 5s Plus and see if it runs on the Redmi Pro

Last edited:
Too bad the redmi series cameras are totally nerfed. Atleast the snapdragon variants have fixes and mods, but nothing yet for the mediatek variants.