Can not make or receive calls with my mi max 3

cranefly

Members
Aug 23, 2018
I may have bought this phone too early, although i think it is a fantastic beast of a phone, i love it, but i can not seem to make or receive calls in my house connected to my home wifi. even if i turn the wifi off, it will still not work, when i reboot the phone it will work for one call or one text, it sometimes says emergency calls only, and then it will say 3G with full bars, even then it will not make a phone call unless i reboot it. i am on 3 ireland, they tell me it is an issue with the phone. I bought it from an ebay seller, he put google playstore on the phone, so i guess it is a china rom, but on ebay he said it will get OTAs so that is why i bought it, it did say it was a global rom, but not official i suppose, i did not know the difference til now. I wish this problem was fixed, because i love this phone. Is their any solution i could try, i am not that technically minded to flash roms and open bootloaders.

So i have been reading a few different xiaomi discussion forums, it seems i will need to flash an official global rom when it is out, and this may fix my problem, i have never done anything like this, so this will be a new learning experience. I was just reading my phone as is, may not get any OTAs from xiaomi. unless it is the official global rom, yet to be released, i do not mind waiting for this, does anyone think that this would solve my issue.

Last edited:
Hi

Think you will have to get slightly technically minded and flash a rom to solve your problem of a dodgy chinese shop rom. It's not a global rom, it hasnt been released yet)

( from another poster) - You could flash the eu 8.8.9 rom, which is stable. You need to have an unlocked bootloader (you get permission from Xiaomi first) and then flash TWRP (there is a version made specifically for the Mi MAX) and then flash the 8.8.9 eu.xiaomi ROM in the TWRP recovery mode using the detailed instructions found in the download firmware section of this website.

Wow that was a fast reply, thank you. i just added an extra paragraph to my post as well, i have a website bookmarked with a way to get permission from xiaomi to unlock the bootloader, for all i know it is already unlocked, i have no idea about these things, is your suggestion above different to an offical global rom from xiaomi, some posters think this may be here soon. I would need a very detailed step by step way of doing this. thank you maebhin67

As far as i know,there are 4 types of Xiaomi roms.
1.Official chinese/english roms
2.Official global roms
3.dodgy chinese roms done inhouse ( what you have probably)
4.Roms made by the fine gentlemen on this site (which some say are the best of all) and have multi language support and the chines apps taken off and optimized. They are beta roms and the latest versions can and do have wee bugs.

So,this site/forum you are posting on is dedicated to xiaomi.eu roms, which i was referring to above.

If you don't want to be flashing too much( with eu roms from here), maybe wait for the official global rom to come out,within a week apparently,(you will have to flash it anyway) as this will get OTA updates.

Yes i think i would rather wait till the official one comes out, as i know nothing about roms, although this is a very informative site, and i do not wish to denigrate the flash makers on this site, but i think i do have a dodgy rom, whatever a rom is, but could i still get help from this site to download the official global rom on this site, as i think it is layed out way better than some of the other sites to do with xiaomi.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me with this matter, their is another miui site i am posting on as well, Maebhin67 thanks for your advice, i think i will wait for the official global version to be released and try my luck following tutorials on how to do this, and hopefully i can just forget about roms and flashing and bootloaders, its all been driving me mad since i got this phone, wondering if i am capable enough to do all this, this site and sister sites are marvelous for people like me, who really know nothing about the technical side of things in this matter. Thanks again guys.

Guys, i finally managed to get rid of the fake rom on my phone, i got some great advice, and step by step instructions from a poster on miui forum, although i wanted to wait for an official global rom, i decided to go with china rom nitrogen. It does make a great difference to the phone call signal strength, now i can make and receive calls in my house, which i could not before. As i have managed to put google services on the phone and uninstall some bloatware. As everything is working as it should, i may as well keep this rom on the phone for good.

Guys, i finally managed to get rid of the fake rom on my phone, i got some great advice, and step by step instructions from a poster on miui forum, although i wanted to wait for an official global rom, i decided to go with china rom nitrogen. It does make a great difference to the phone call signal strength, now i can make and receive calls in my house, which i could not before. As i have managed to put google services on the phone and uninstall some bloatware. As everything is working as it should, i may as well keep this rom on the phone for good.

Well done on flashing your first rom. Put up a link to the instructions so it can help someone else.

Last edited:
I can only direct you to miui.com. and my question, "cant make phone calls" in the mi max 3 section, 3 pages, panospc86 was the guy who helped me in every step, he gave instructions where i went wrong, and all my questions were answered fairly fast, without his expert knowledge, i would have been banjaxed altogether, as my phone was stuck in fastboot mode after the first try, and nothing i did could get it out of that mode. He knew exactly where i went wrong, it was in naming a file to put the unzipped contents of the china rom, i had left spaces in the folder name, and that it seemed was all it needed to get an error in flashing, and keeping my phone in fastboot mode, and i tried every solution for it, but no luck, i honestly thought that i would never get it out of that mode.

On the second try with the flashing everything worked perfectly, i now have a stable china rom, with google added from a you tube video, and signal strength it where it should be. Guys like me, who have little experience with folders, unzipping, roms, miflash, who are not too computer literate need step by step instructions on how to do this, and panospc86 was patient enough with me, to give me all the help i needed. So to him, and all the other guys from this site and others, a big thank you.
http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3622317&page=1#pid29612697

Last edited: