Can you make gestures working again? Thank you!

Whatever123

Members
Jun 15, 2021
Hi.
I'm the owner of a Xiaomi Mi note 10 and in the recent update i just installed, Xiaomi decided to remove gestures unless you use their own launcher.
I use Nova and in my fury i decided to root it out.
And so i did and i installed your MIUI 12.5 ROM from here

However to my dismay gestures still don't work with the nova launcher.
Since i can have root now is there anything i can do to make them work again?
And if there is nothing i can do, you know to which version of MIUI i must downgrade to make them work again?
Thank you.

Native gestures need to be added to xiaomi.eu ASAP, those apps or workarounds are super janky and you need to use the new Magisk version to run the one based on xposed, this is an integral part of the system we shouldn't need workarounds.

This is 100% on xiaomi, they did this on purpose, gestures used to work on previous versions and they work on AOSP roms, so they gimped MIUI on purpose to force users to use the stock launcher. Launchers have been updated to work around Google's lack of support, there's no reason for them not to work now.

It is very much in the spirit of this rom and community to restore the gestures. We know xiaomi won't do it, it's not their MO.

Native gestures need to be added to xiaomi.eu ASAP, those apps or workarounds are super janky and you need to use the new Magisk version to run the one based on xposed, this is an integral part of the system we shouldn't need workarounds.
I don't think you're in the position to dictate us what needs or doesn't need to be added to Xiaomi.eu. It is for us to decide.

This is 100% on xiaomi, they did this on purpose, gestures used to work on previous versions and they work on AOSP roms, so they gimped MIUI on purpose to force users to use the stock launcher. Launchers have been updated to work around Google's lack of support, there's no reason for them not to work now.
Interesting conspiracy, but you'll need factual evidence before making accusation like this. You don't know the technical or executive details behind that omission.

It is very much in the spirit of this rom and community to restore the gestures.
This "community" doesn't grow code on trees, and this ROM doesn't code itself either. As for me, I won't take such a huge project with literally nothing to make it worthwhile. I have a life.

We know xiaomi won't do it, it's not their MO.
Not exactly our concern... I mean, you paid them, not us, so you're more than eligible to complain, just not here.

I don't think you're in the position to dictate us what needs or doesn't need to be added to Xiaomi.eu. It is for us to decide.
I wasn't trying to come off that way telling you what to do, I'm very grateful for all the work and time you provide for free, but this really is a huge omission on MIUI.

Interesting conspiracy, but you'll need factual evidence before making accusation like this. You don't know the technical or executive details behind that omission.
I haven't dug into the code of this but I am somewhat active on the Nova Launcher chat and this has been a huge thing there. I broadly know the technical details of the move, I don't know the executive reasoning but I can guess it pretty easily, strongarm users to use Xiaomi launchers, get them used to the launcher so they get "locked" in the ecosystem by their muscle memory and familiarity. Google Samsung and obviously Xiaomi have been doing moves like these for some time now, they'd rather prevent you from trying something else than entice you to remain with them.

I haven't dug into the code of this but I am somewhat active on the Nova Launcher chat and this has been a huge thing there. I broadly know the technical details of the move, I don't know the executive reasoning but I can guess it pretty easily, strongarm users to use Xiaomi launchers, get them used to the launcher so they get "locked" in the ecosystem by their muscle memory and familiarity. Google Samsung and obviously Xiaomi have been doing moves like these for some time now, they'd rather prevent you from trying something else than entice you to remain with them.
Let me give you a better theory: The main reason why decoupling the navigation gestures from the launcher and keeping them in System UI (like it used to be up to Android 10) is a problem, is the fact that these gestures are directly connected to the Recents panel, which is also an integrated part of the launcher. Decoupling the gestures would mean decoupling the Recents panel too, which means not the same experience, smoothness and transitions because it's not possible across multiple apps without introducing lag, it can't be seamless.
In fact, AOSP's own Quickstep launcher also has the Recents panel integrated, it just doesn't have any navigation gestures, so Quickstep users have nothing to complain about. But if you switch to another launcher (instead of Quickstep), the transition to Recents isn't the same.

Reactions: sir_bazz