Can you switch through official ROMs with the bootloader locked?

swifter8638

Members
Dec 17, 2022
Hey there, does anybody know if switching through official forms of MIUI is possible with the bootloader unlocked? Like, is it possible to switch to the EEA or TR version with the Global rom being concurrently installed on the system? If not, what is preventing one from doing so?

No.
You need to unlock the bootloader.
In order to unlock the bootloader you have to sign on the phone with a valid Miui account, only with that account you will be able to unlock the bootloader.
For more details about the unlock process read the official page: https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html

No.
You need to unlock the bootloader.
In order to unlock the bootloader you have to sign on the phone with a valid Miui account, only with that account you will be able to unlock the bootloader.
For more details about the unlock process read the official page: https://en.miui.com/unlock/download_en.html
Hmm... Though, I'm sure you can flash between official Xiaomi ROMs (accept Chinese) and just relock your bootloader without issue, how does that differ?

Indeed, once flashed an official firmware you can locked the bootloader without any issue, without an account. Just run a command like:
Code:
fastboot oem lock
(obviously in Fastboot mode)
Only the unlock process require to have a valid Miui account registered on the phone prior unlocking. Because the unlock process require a token from Miui server.
I'm referring to steps used by a regular customer. I don't know what can be done on a service.

Indeed, once flashed an official firmware you can locked the bootloader without any issue, without an account. Just run a command like:
Code:
fastboot oem lock
(obviously in Fastboot mode)
Only the unlock process require to have a valid Miui account registered on the phone prior unlocking. Because the unlock process require a token from Miui server.
I'm referring to steps used by a regular customer. I don't know what can be done on a service.
So, if i am not mistaken, i should theoretically be able to get a global device, unlock the bootloader, flash eea, India or any official ROM & lock my bootloader without problem yet i can't do it without unlocking first, right?

Yes, you are right.
Are you sure about this? I read on many forums that if you try to lock the bootloader after installing a rom from a different region will brick your phone.
I have tried on a redmi note 12pro plus chinese version to install a stock global version and lock bootloader via miflashtool. I ended up in a maintenance mode after install saying that this MIUI rom can't be installed on this device. So i had no rom running and bootloader locked. Luckily i can get into fastboot mode again and unlock bootloader again (without waiting one week).
What if try your method? Install rom without locking, let it boot once. Then reboot into fastboot and issue your fastbook oem lock command. Will that brick my phone?

Last edited:
You can lock the bootloader having a different region STOCK ROM only, and I repeat ONLY, if your device is a GLOBAL device.
If you have a Chinese device you can lock the bootloader only if you flash a Chinese STOCK ROM.

Here are the rules:
1. Chinese device + Chinese stock ROM + booloader lock = OK
2. Chinese device + any NON Chinese stock ROM + bootloader lock = NOT OK!!!!

3. Global device + any STOCK ROM (global + Chinese) + bootloader lock = OK

4. any device + any custom ROM + bootloade lock = NOT OK!!!!

I played with sock roms on my Mi 10 and Mi 12, both being global versions.
To check the device market version, open into a desktop browser the official page: https://www.mi.com/global/verify#/en/tab/imei

Reactions: Doush_504
Thanks, so there is no way for me to convert my chinese version to a proper locked global version, right? There is also no xiaomi.eu rom for this model yet that would overcome the security issue imposed by banking apps. So better got used to the chinese rom or sell the phone:S

Thanks, so there is no way for me to convert my chinese version to a proper locked global version, right? There is also no xiaomi.eu rom for this model yet that would overcome the security issue imposed by banking apps. So better got used to the chinese rom or sell the phone:S

I would really love to find a solution to lock the bootloader on chinese device with global rom.
Until then, I think you can flash any stock rom you like, then root to be able to hide things from your banking apps.
Not as reliable as having a locked bootloader of course.