Can you switch through official ROMs with the bootloader locked?

I just bought a Chinese Redmi Pad SE from the usual chinese site with Global rom, locked bootloader. How are they able to do that?!
I tried to unlock, but as expected, it cannot add account. OTA does not work in china device with global rom (which seller indicated).

Device Model: 23073RPBFC
OS version: 1.0.2.0.UMUMIXM

My problem nowis how do I update my firmware version? I did find the global version v1.0.2.0 -> 1.0.3.0 OTA package (zip) online from miuirom.org, tried to update manually via "about tablet" screen, which didnt work and gave me a pop-up message saying:

"Cant verify update: Current version is invalid. You can only flash the latest stable ROM"

I can download global 1.0.3.0 fastboot rom, but would this brick my tablet like what everyone is saying "china phone + global rom + BL locked = brick device"??
The rom has been modified.
The only solution for you is to flash a Cn rom (edl mode) not free, then use a third party paid service for unlocking.

Thank you ToneLa and NOSS8 for the suggestions.

I did confirmed bootloader is locked, quite surprised the shop is able to flash global rom and re-lock the bootloader as all the information I can find is "it is not possible to flash global rom on china device and re-lock the bootloader, it will brick the device".

Yeah, looks like if I really want to bootloader unlocked on this china device, I need to pay someone who has lv5 xiaomi account that needs to be a chinese citizen.
This would be the last xiaomi china device I buy and will just get global version in future (until they disable unlock on those too)

Since it already has global rom v1.0.2.0, I am quite curious if I can just use a global fastboot rom v1.0.3.0 flash it directly onto this bootloader locked device.
Does anyone know if the fastboot flash would fail due to incompatible device error of some sore?

I guess its a cheap tablet anyways, I can just use it as it is without bothering to upgrade the rom which should last for a few years anyways.

Reactions: ToneLa
Can someone explain what's so special about the process that anyone has to pay?

If its literally paying someone for account level stuff... Don't.

I get my devices from China and have done it all myself for like ten years now.

I suggest, OP, that you reveal who the retailer is, as they are just creating issues further down the line

Do hope you get on OK with the next steps.

Devices released with Hyper OS are not unlockable with official tools.
Cn devices with a global rom, Miui / hyperOS, with the locked bootloader can only be unlocked with the rom corresponding to the model, that is to say CN and the only way to flash the CN rom is the EDL mode.

Reactions: ToneLa
Thanks.
With one eye on the future then. Doesn't

G EDL level account cost 10k?
Prospective customers could "kickstarter" a designated account holder. But that's for the future of course..

These changes enforced by the Chinese government are noxious and do not bode well for the future of our treasured devices if you wish to break away from the straightjacket of official ROMs

.... Though we always find a way

The "paid third party service" element seems a grift though it does make more sense if you pay to get it

Though if there is a moral in this thread it is that shortcuts by some sellers are indeed too good to be true.

EDL flashing is cheaper than unlocking with a paid third-party service.
(note that flashing EDL does not unlock the bootloader)
The most popular paid third-party service is starting to have its access blocked, for the redmi t3/K70 and even the 14, according to some users who could not unlock the bootloader.