Can't Use Data Abroad

RomainCo

Members
Aug 13, 2017
Hi all,

first of all, I tried to google my issue for a while and didn't find a way to fix it.

I have a Xiaomi Redmi 4, and my operator is Virgin UK.

When I'm abroad, I can see the "roaming" icon (R) on at the top of my phone, but I can't get any data in or out.

I did activate the roaming through Settings -> SIM cards and mobile networks -> Data roaming -> Data roaming: always. But whenever I go abroad (so far, Portugal, SPain, France and the Netherlands), I can not have any internet working.

I tried to use my SIM card on an older phone and it works, so the problem doesn't come from the mobile network but from the phone. The only thing that might make the phone weird (but I'm not sure) is that since you cannot select UK in the "region" settings, I did put Spain. I'm not sure that's relevant, but who knows!

I can't find anything online. Any suggestion ?

Thanks!

Hi,

I just got back from a fortnight in Spain and had exactly the same experience. Tried everything to get it working, but failed.

Was using the latest rom available.

I had the same problem in Germany and in Spain with ROM that came with the phone. Still didn't get why this happens

Last edited:
Same exact issue, I'm on giff gaff in the UK, but no data in France/Belgium/Iceland :(

Which ROM do you have? Because at the time I had a ROM from the seller and not the official one. I changed now to the official one but didn't had the change to try it in roaming.

Which ROM do you have? Because at the time I had a ROM from the seller and not the official one. I changed now to the official one but didn't had the change to try it in roaming.

Good question, what's the best way to check if I have the official ROM?

Screenshot_2017-09-15-15-43-02-552_com.android.settings.png

Well you can see trough the number I think. But what I did was go to MIUI website and see the latest ROM for the device.

In this case I think you have the official ROM. en.miui.com/download-319.html#467